If you'd named a baby as a teenager

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite names when I was 14 (maybe even 13) were [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. Hands down would’ve used one of those.

Favourite names since I was 15 are [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], but middles have changed over the years. I didn’t settle on a middle for [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] for a year or two, so the set middle has always been [name_u]August[/name_u]. I believe my first set middle for [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] was [name_f]Elinor[/name_f]. It’s been [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] since I was 16 or 17, though.

3 Likes

When I was around 12 I read Chasing Redbird by [name_f]Sharon[/name_f] Creech and the main character is [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]. I just fell in love with it as a name so throughout my teens it was one of my favorites. I still love it actually, and would be happy to name a daughter such a beautiful name. However, I love other names more so it’s unlikely that will happen.

1 Like

For girls, I was obsessed with [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]. I still actually love these names! I think for sure as a teenager, I would have chosen [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]. As a younger teen, I would have chosen [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]. While I have combos I prefer now, I would happily name a child one of these names now.

For boys, I loved [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]. Both of these are still in my top 10. I remember [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] being my favorite combo. I also remember really loving [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_m]Jason[/name_m]. I would for sure name a son [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] now!

4 Likes

[name_u]Amen[/name_u] to this!!

4 Likes

I didn’t have many names that ‘stuck’ as a teenager but some I remember really liking: [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] & [name_u]Oliver[/name_u].

Nothing wrong with any of the names but I’d only still consider using [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] and possibly [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m].

2 Likes

I actually have pretty similar taste to what I had 10-15 years ago (nature names) but it has evolved somewhat. As a teen I probably would have used [name_u]Skylar[/name_u] or [name_f]Summer[/name_f], these days I prefer [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I thought I’d scroll down to my oldest posts to see what my high school taste was, but it looks like I was a lurker here until college.

In elementary school I wanted identical twins to name [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] and [name_f]Miley[/name_f], and was in love with the name [name_f]Daenerys[/name_f] for a hot minute (yes, I regret this). I also had an outer space phase for a while. I don’t think I would’ve actually used any of these, they were more like “fun what if’s”. [name_f]My[/name_f] senior year I was really into Irish names. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites were [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] [name_u]Aoibheann[/name_u] and [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m] [name_m]Oisin[/name_m] but I wouldn’t have used them since I don’t think I’m Irish enough (not a citizen).

In terms of realistic choices, I think I probably would’ve named a son [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] but I don’t know what a daughter would’ve been. [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] is still on my list, but it’s no longer #1. I would’ve used honor names then, and plan to in the future.

4 Likes

My boys are still young but I just wish I got to use [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] and not be told oh it sounds like a girl’s name etc :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

@Artemis31 - Whhaaat? I’ve never heard that! I know a ton of boys named [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] (they all go by [name_m]Gabe[/name_m])

2 Likes

I know right!? I love the name so much.

2 Likes

I probably would have used [name_f]India[/name_f] or [name_f]Siena[/name_f] for a girl and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] or [name_u]Rory[/name_u] for a boy. Whilst I wouldn’t use any of them now (well, I’d consider [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] actually, but [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is a little too popular for my liking), I do still love [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and [name_f]India[/name_f]. I’m not such a fan of [name_f]Siena[/name_f] anymore.

3 Likes

Teenaged in general probably [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Emma[/name_f] & [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u]. The first names I was stuck on for years, but I think the middles changed more.

[name_u]Early[/name_u] teenage/tween, I remember really loving [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_u]London[/name_u] for girls. Not sure about boy names, I had never imagined myself having a boy until a few years ago (no idea why, I just couldn’t picture it lol).

3 Likes

[name_u]True[/name_u] story.
From the time I was old enough to know that someday I might have daughter, I knew that she would be [name_f]Heather[/name_f] [name_f]Renee[/name_f] [name_f]Nicole[/name_f]…
I must have written it a million times and told everyone I knew about those specific names, and as I got older I dared my friends and cousins to use those names!
By the time I became pregnant at 22, I was so sick of that name that there was no way I’d even think of using it. Plus, there were [name_f]Heather[/name_f]s everywhere!
I did not have a name until she was born and i had to fill out paperwork. I decided to name her after me, but as a hybrid of sorts. I’m [name_f]Cathy[/name_f] [name_u]Lyn[/name_u], so I took the Ca from my first name and stuck it on my middle. I did still like [name_f]Nicole[/name_f], so, she was ready to be named [name_m]Calyn[/name_m] [name_f]Nicole[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] mother swooned over the idea of having a grandchild with her maiden name as an honor. So, my daughter became [name_m]Calyn[/name_m] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] [name_f]Nicole[/name_f]. :heart:

4 Likes

As a teenager, I was TOTALLY set on using [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f] if I ever had a daughter. It’s become much more popular since then, of course (I’m several years past any semblance of teenagehood) and I wouldn’t use it now. I fell in love with it due to the [name_f]Princess[/name_f] Diaries books.

For a boy, I was totally in love with the names [name_m]Colin[/name_m] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]. I still like these names a lot, but would no longer actually use them.

So yeah. [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] if girl, [name_m]Colin[/name_m] or [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] if boy.

My current favorites are [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m], so my tastes haven’t changed THAT much, though there are more nature names and “old school” names now than back then.

5 Likes

Oh god. Oh god. You don’t even want to know…

I had this very clear plan that I was going to have girl/boy twins & name them [name_f]Aleia[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_f]Brianna[/name_f] & [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] (partner’s middle name choice). What a vision, right? Suuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccchhhhhhhhhh accurate predictions. :laughing:

3 Likes

when I was 16 my then-boyfriend & I wanted [name_f]Winona[/name_f] for a girl & [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] for a boy. we liked country sounding names lol. I still love [name_f]Winona[/name_f] but doesn’t feel right to use now, and same with [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]. neither are exactly my style anymore, I now prefer what I might consider bold, romantic names.

6 Likes

I love the name [name_f]Raeleigh[/name_f]!!! But I like Raelie or Raeley better!

3 Likes

Clara [name_f]Leonor[/name_f] & [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] would have been likely!

6 Likes

Girl: [name_f]Jessamy[/name_f]
Boy: [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] ([name_m]Jake[/name_m]) or [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] ([name_m]Matt[/name_m])

I started to take interest in names around 15/16 but as they tended to be gleaned from the people around me and I was a teen in 90s Uk, the names were very classic working class/middle class names. [name_f]My[/name_f] naming style really came about in my 20s and developed more in my 30s as the names I had previously liked became too popular. And I like familiar but not overly used names.

4 Likes

I was the same way! I think if my oldest niece had been a boy, it’s possible I would’ve considered having a boy and boys names more… But I’ve ALWAYS envisioned myself having a daughter.

I know I vaguely considered the name [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] once. I remember thinking about the nickname [name_m]Tom[/name_m], like [name_m]Tom[/name_m] Riddle (aka Voldemort) from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] :rofl:

1 Like