Ignatius - Too Much?

We’re expecting our second this summer. If it’s a boy, we really like the name [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]. It’s got a cute nickname ([name_m]Iggy[/name_m]) and it sounds nice with our son’s name, [name_m]Osborne[/name_m] ([name_m]Ozzie[/name_m]). We’re getting a LOT of pushback, though - mainly people saying it’s “too much”. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks, and happy holidays.

I dont think it’s too much.
I’m not the one to ask though. I’m a go big or go home gal when it comes to names.

[name_m]Ignatio[/name_m]
Is another option. Plays off the O in [name_m]Osbourne[/name_m]

[name_m]Tip[/name_m]: don’t share your possible baby names with people before the baby is born, especially if you think they may not be received with open arms. A name that people find “too” anything (too far out there, too traditional, too [name_m]French[/name_m], too nicknamey…) can be tempered by their being presented with an adorable baby when they find it out. (I know this tip is coming too late for this one but thought it might be useful for future reference.)

I agree that [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] is kind of a big name, but it’s certainly not unheard of. I really like it in theory but I once mentioned it to my husband in passing and he hated it, so I don’t tend to give it much thought. I am utterly charmed by the idea of brothers named [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] and [name_m]Iggy[/name_m]! If you decide to dial it back but you want to keep the [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] nickname, there’s always [name_m]Inigo[/name_m] (which is very “The [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Bride[/name_f]” to me but maybe not where you are). Or [name_m]Ignacio[/name_m], which does feel a tad lighter than [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]. Or if you decide you still love it but that it’s “too much”, you could use it as a middle name and the [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] option would still be available if you/he wanted it in the future.

Best of luck! [name_f]Happy[/name_f] holidays to you, too!

[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] is definitely a “big” name, but I don’t think it’s a terrible one. It’s got history and weight, and I can dig that.

[name_m]Iggy[/name_m]'s a great nickname as is [name_m]Nate[/name_m] if you want something slightly more mainstream.

I don’t think [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] is too much at all. It’s well-used by Catholics, and I know of one that goes by [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] <3 Besides, Iggy and Ozzie sound perfect together.

Go for it! It’s unusual, but it’s masculine and I think that the nickname means it can be pulled off. It’s not going to get him teased or anything and I’d say it’s quite well known

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it! It’s a front runner for us as well. [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] is am awesome nn.

I love it - it’s handsome but so underused.

I don’t think it’s too much at all. I think [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] is totally cool. It goes amazingly with [name_m]Osborne[/name_m]. I’m totally digging the sibset. [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] and [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] are so cute together. I think [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] is an unexpected choice, which is why you’ve been getting such terrible feedback. I’d keep it a secret to avoid the opinions.

I [name_u]Love[/name_u] the sibset [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] and [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m]! And [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] is a really strong masculine name, the name has a lot of history and a beautiful meaning! What do you want more? It is not over used, but it isn’t a total fantasy name either! I love the name!

[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] is one of my guilty pleasures, but you should be braver than me and use it! I think it’s a great name. It’s the little boy’s name in The Year Without a [name_f]Santa[/name_f] Clause, which is my favorite holiday movie :slight_smile:

I like it quite a bit, actually, although I personally think [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] and [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] is just too cutsey-matchey; that might get really old for them by the time they hit high school. This is just me, but I’d go whole hog with [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] and use [name_m]Nate[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Iggy[/name_m]. To me it’s much more dignified and would allow each brother to have his individual personality. [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] and [name_m]Nate[/name_m] both age really well; [name_m]Iggy[/name_m], not so much. At the very least, if [name_m]Iggy[/name_m] becomes the diminutive of choice down the road, I’d let it be his idea.

But [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] as a whole is awesome. Screw the naysayers and go for it.

Thanks everyone! You’re right about keeping it to ourselves. The few we told about [name_m]Osborne[/name_m] were also dismissive at first, and now everyone who knows our son agrees that it was a great choice. :slight_smile: