Ilma

What do you think of the name [name]Ilma[/name]? What do you think of it paired with [name]Frances[/name]?

It does not appeal to me personally. I think of [name]Wilma[/name] in the Flintstones. Where did you hear this name? I love [name]Frances[/name]!

It does not appeal to me personally. I think of [name]Wilma[/name] in the Flintstones. Where did you hear this name? I love [name]Frances[/name]!

I think of [name]Wilma[/name] too. It looks a little like [name]Irma[/name]. It has a lot of stress on the sound of the word “ill”. I think [name]Selma[/name] or [name]Salma[/name] is ok (never thought I would).

I looked it up, nameberry says it is Finnish and means “air.” If you are in Finland, go for it. It does sound exotic to me - nameberry also says may be a Hungarian variation of [name]Amelia[/name] or a Spanish variation of [name]Wilhelmina[/name]. My guess was Spanish as it sounds like [name]Alma[/name] (Latin, meaning “soul”). I like [name]Alma[/name] a lot better. I looked up [name]Elma[/name] too (variation of [name]Wilhelmina[/name] also), which just reminds me of [name]Elmer[/name], the Fudd and the glue. [name]Ilsa[/name] also comes to mind, and also [name]Elsa[/name]. I think with the shorter names, the whole sound to the mind can be altered with one letter. [name]Ilma[/name]/[name]Ilsa[/name], [name]Ilma[/name]/[name]Alma[/name].

I have mixed feelings - I think other names near it sound better in the US, like [name]Selma[/name] or [name]Alma[/name]. Not the greatest to my ears, but more palatable by magnitudes. It sounds like it could be exotic, though. I don’t think we get a lot of Nordic names mixed in, and this might have some flair to it - if you say it with some intrigue, “Il-mah” doesn’t sound too bad, I wish I could record my voice for you. There’s a better way to hear this name and a worse, and I think a lot of people won’t be as considerate as the name won’t grow on them by hearing it several ways like I like to do.

Where did you hear of this name? Are you Finnish, might this name come from your family tree?

I love you [name]Karen[/name], you are so detailed and explicit!!!

Yes, tell us more about this [name]Ilma[/name]. We need more information.

xxxx

[name]Ilma[/name] is interesting. It doesn’t have a great sound… I love [name]Alma[/name] and [name]Ilsa[/name], though!

I heard of the name in the All About Nameberry forum. I have a little bit of Finnish blood in me, but it’s so far back it’s only like one drop. I’m kind of thinking it might not be a bad way to honor my great-grandma who’s middle name is [name]Irma[/name].

I did not think of it sounding like [name]Wilma[/name]. I like [name]Wilma[/name].