I'm changing my citizenship (and my name)! Thoughts?

Hello, berries!

I’m [name]Sara[/name], an American archaeologist who has been living and working in [name]Egypt[/name] for the past several years, and who is currently in the process of becoming a naturalized Egyptian citizen.

Anyways, for many different reasons (and before my citizenship papers are filed) I’m thinking about changing my name to [name]Isis[/name], a name that has a lot of personal meaning for me:

1. It’s a nod to my profession ([name]Isis[/name] is the Egyptian goddess of motherhood, fertility and magic, as well as a friend of slaves, sinners and the downtrodden)
  2. The first site I visited during field school was the [name]Temple[/name] of [name]Isis[/name] in Pompeii.
  3. For some reason, people have called me “[name]Isis[/name]” ever I arrived in [name]Egypt[/name], so in many ways I feel like it is already my name.
  4. [name]Isis[/name] is also accepted in [name]France[/name], where I live when I’m not working in [name]Egypt[/name].
  5. But most importantly, in many ways I’m getting ready to start a new life…as an Egyptian citizen! A legal name change would make the transition even more complete.

Since people hardly ever call me [name]Sara[/name] anymore (which isn’t a bad thing - I never liked my name anyways! ;), and since I already feel so connected to [name]Isis[/name], I would really like to make the switch official.

But before I do, what do you think of the name “[name]Isis[/name]”? [name]Do[/name] you have any bad connections with it? Any good ones? What about stereotypes? [name]Do[/name] you think I’ll encounter problems with it when I come back to the States? I would love to hear your honest feedback!

With [name]Love[/name],
[name]Sara[/name]/[name]Isis[/name]

As someone who loves the names [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name], I think [name]Isis[/name] sounds beautiful! You may need to spell it for people in [name]America[/name] initially, but it would then be easy to remember. It’s really great! Best wishes!

I can’t think of anything to counter the points you’ve made. If people are already calling you [name]Isis[/name], I don’t see an issue.

Congratulations on your new life btw…and what an awesome job!

I think [name]Isis[/name] seems very right for you, for all the reasons you mentioned. You seem to already consider yourself an [name]Isis[/name]. I can’t think of any problems with the name in the US off the top of my head… I think some might not be familiar with it, and some will have pronunciation issues, but it won’t be that big of a deal to explain. You can just say “like the Egyptian goddess”, or “[name]Iris[/name] with an S!”.

And cool, an archaeologist! I’ve always been interested in archaeology, it seems so interesting!

Great name I love it.

[name]Isis[/name] is pretty, and so accessible in the English-speaking world, as [name]Iris[/name] is rising in popularity. I can’t see any problems with the pronunciation occurring at all.

[name]Auburn[/name]

I think you are already [name]Isis[/name]! go for it!

[name]Isabel[/name]

[name]Isis[/name] is a beautiful name! I went to school with one from 6th-12th grade, and she never had any issues with her name! I think it’s awesome! Plus, you already ARE [name]Isis[/name]!

Congratulations on the big changes in your life!

The only reason I wouldn’t recommend [name]Isis[/name] for you is because you are an archeologist in [name]Egypt[/name]. I heartily agree with your reason of changing your name with your citizenship as a new start, but the heavy connections you have to [name]Isis[/name] make it an almost cliche choice imho. However, that aside, [name]Isis[/name] is a lovely name and I don’t think you’ll have problems with pn or sp anywhere you go!

I know a five year old [name]Isis[/name] who is Maori (not Egyptian). She is very cute.

As long as [name]Isis[/name] is actually used as a name in [name]Egypt[/name] I say go for it. I doubt you’re going to find another Egyptian name that English and French speakers are so familiar with.