I'm going to go insane! Nn for Charlotte

I love the name [name]Carly[/name] and DH will only agree to use it for a nn for [name]Charlotte[/name]. I like [name]Charlotte[/name] but I’m not sure anyone will ever use the nn [name]Carly[/name] for her. He won’t budge an inch on names. There are very few he likes and we can’t agree on anything. I’m being induced on Friday! Help!!!

[name]Do[/name] either of you like [name]Carlotta[/name]?

So are you looking for a name that [name]Carly[/name] is a more intuitive nickname for? I’ve seen people suggest [name]Carly[/name] as a nn for [name]Charlotte[/name] but I think more people would call her [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Lottie[/name].

The only names I can think of that [name]Carly[/name] would be a nn for are [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Carlin[/name].

What are your hub’s objections to [name]Carly[/name]? What other names does he approve of? What names do you like?

If you call her [name]Carly[/name] and she says her name is [name]Carly[/name], people will call her that. [name]Imagine[/name] you are naming [name]Katherine[/name] - does everyone automatically call her [name]Katie[/name]? No, that’s impossible. When everyone was [name]Kathy[/name], that’s what they called themselves and everyone called them [name]Kathy[/name]. When people wanted to be called [name]Kat[/name] instead, people call them [name]Kat[/name] and not [name]Kathy[/name]. When they say, hello, I’m [name]Kate[/name] (or [name]Katie[/name]), everyone calls them that. It is the same for [name]Elizabeth[/name] or… a lot of longer names. The name they go by is what you establish through use at home.

You call your daughter [name]Charlotte[/name], “[name]Carly[/name],” and pretty soon everyone will know her as [name]Carly[/name]. When she goes to school, and some other kid asks her her name, she will say it’s [name]Carly[/name]. That’s how nicknames stick. If she instead introduces herself as [name]Charlotte[/name], and let people shorten it for her or insist on the full length, they might fool around with it, but she can still be [name]Carly[/name] to you and her father. Essentially, you establish what tag she goes by, and if you love [name]Carly[/name], call her [name]Carly[/name]. That will be what she says when people ask her name. They might, when she’s older, ask her what it’s short for. Customarily, the teacher will call roll on the first day, and ask for [name]Charlotte[/name], so she can say “Here” and raise her hand, but the rest of the day answer to [name]Carly[/name]. I think if she offered no nickname, people would actually tend to call her [name]Charlotte[/name]. If you wanted her to go by [name]Lottie[/name], she would have to inform people to call her that, or [name]Charlie[/name], so you have the controls here. [name]Just[/name] call her [name]Carly[/name].

Please relax! Everything’s going to be fine!

I second [name]Karen[/name]! If you call her [name]Carly[/name], people will call her [name]Carly[/name], and the same goes for any other nickname you were to choose, such as [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Lottie[/name]. Likewise, if you called her [name]Charlotte[/name] without a nickname, people would follow suit. Definitely. No worries.

I know an [name]Elizabeth[/name] called “Biz,” a [name]Clarence[/name] called “[name]Clancy[/name],” a [name]Sarah[/name] called “[name]Sadie[/name],” an [name]Alexandra[/name] known as “[name]Allie[/name],” a [name]Margaret[/name] known as “[name]Peggy[/name],” an [name]Abraham[/name] who goes by “[name]Bram[/name],” etc…

If you choose to call [name]Charlotte[/name] “[name]Carly[/name],” “[name]Carly[/name]” she will be. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I didn’t get to read the other entires, but I think the nn [name]Charlie[/name] for [name]Charlotte[/name] is ADORABLE. It is spunky and cute, and I hear it as a girls name more and more. Let me know what you come up with! [name]Hope[/name] all goes well!

[name]Just[/name] another thought… would you and your husband consider [name]Scarlett[/name]?

[name]Scarlett[/name] gives you the hard ‘C’ vs. the ‘Ch’ sound in [name]Charlotte[/name]… which may make an easier jump to the nickname [name]Carly[/name]?

Saw that you posted a new poll without [name]Charlotte[/name] in the running, so you guys may have moved beyond this name at this point. Good luck tomorrow!

Oh my goodness! This is such an amazing coincidence. My daughter’s name is [name]Charlotte[/name], and we call her [name]Carly[/name] at home and at school! [name]Carly[/name] is a popular nickname/name where I live, and most of them are Carolines or Carlenes, but my daughter is the only [name]Charlotte[/name] at her school. So, speaking from experience, I would definitely use [name]Carly[/name] for [name]Charlotte[/name]. If you call her that, and you get others to call her that, it will work. My other daughter’s name is [name]Alice[/name], and she goes by [name]Ali[/name]. So we have [name]Carly[/name] and [name]Ali[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] are rarely used outside of our family.

Ok, a [name]Charlotte[/name] here.

Instinctively people call me [name]Charlie[/name]. I don’t really know why they immediately assume that’s what I use but that’s what they always go to call me anyway.

When I was younger my parents hated people calling me [name]Charlie[/name] and would always be correcting people who would say ‘[name]Hi[/name], [name]Charlie[/name]’ as soon as I was introduced. At school when we had roll call, the teachers, despite my name clearly saying [name]CHARLOTTE[/name] on the roll, would always call out ‘[name]Charlie[/name]?’. All my friends called me that too and my parents would cringe every time they heard. In the end my parents gave up trying and now when they’re exhausted they let the occasional ‘[name]Charlie[/name]’ slip out:)

As to [name]Lottie[/name], I’ve only been called that a couple of times when I was really little and fortunately it didn’t stick. I’m just not a ‘[name]Lottie[/name]’ in my opinion.

I’ve NEVER had people call me [name]Carly[/name] and I probably wouldn’t have thought of it but I really like it now. It’s got more spunk than [name]Charlie[/name] and seems more feminine but lacks the laid back feel I think and the charming ambiguity that [name]Charlie[/name] achieves.

Overall, I think if you persist with [name]Carly[/name] and always introduce her as that, it has a good chance of sticking. Really no need to go insane:) If it doesn’t work, you could always just go with the flow like my parents:) And of course I think the name [name]Charlotte[/name] is gorgeous but there is always the Italian, [name]Carlotta[/name] which is equally pretty and an easier source of the nn [name]Carly[/name].

Good [name]Luck[/name] on your future little [name]Charlotte[/name] nn [name]Carly[/name]!

• [name]Charlie[/name]