I'm unsure of our name choice...

DH is dead set on Avonlea for this baby and while it was originally my suggestion, I’ve moved on and am just not crazy about it anymore. But, he’s SO in love with it, that I want to make myself love it too.

My kids names:

[name]Andrew “Kaleb” Fleming
Adeline Blayne Fleming
Avonlea Rose Fleming[/name]

I’m thinking that maybe with a new middle name, I’ll love it more? Though that seems silly because we’ll still call her Avonlea. Oh, and my kids are already calling her Avonlea. Or any thoughts on the name in general? I’m really LOVING Novalee at the moment but as well all know, those ‘loves’ come and go. Only must is that her first name begin with an A (even though she doesn’t have to go by that).

And [name]Avonlea[/name] is pronounced a-vun-lee (like [name]Anne[/name] of Avonlea).

Personally, I think Avonlea is great. It’s beautiful, distinctive and literary. It’s definitely unusual, but it’s not made up and people who know their literature will recognize it immediately- a perfect balance! I, personally, would love to be named Avonlea, because it has cool literary/cultural context and it’s quite unique without being weird (38 girls were named Avonlea last year- so it’s not totally unused!). I much prefer Avonlea to Novalee. Novalee does not sound nearly as distinguished or elegant as Avonlea. You could always call her [name]Nova[/name] (the first four letters inverted) as a fun nickname. The only problem is see with Avonlea is pronunciation, but such is the case with most unusual awesome names. I get how you’re feeling, but I would definitely keep the name around, maybe decide upon one or two other names you and your family really love, but definitely keep Avonlea on the list, because like you said, your daughter’s father and siblings have attached to the name, so that’s kind of important too, right?

Okay, so maybe the key is the middle name. [name]Rose[/name] is beautiful, but doesn’t compare to the unusualness of Avonlea. You could incorporate Novalee, a name your currently loving, and go with Avonlea [name]Nova[/name]. Avonlea and [name]Nova[/name] are different enough, I think, in sound (though similar, of course, in letters), and creates a cool parallel within the name. Or do you want something a bit more gender neutral, like [name]Adeline[/name]'s middle name? Something like Avonlea [name]Sloan[/name], Avonlea [name]Reese[/name] or Avonlea [name]Gray[/name] could work. Or something more feminine, but still one syllable like Avonlea [name]Gwen[/name], Avonlea [name]Pearl[/name], Avonlea [name]June[/name], or Avonlea [name]Maeve[/name].

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Honestly, I’m not a fan, because I don’t like place names as first names and it seems too completely tied to one association ([name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables). It’s not terrible, though, as place names go. And it’s miles better than Novalee, in my opinion, since that seems very made-up and insubstantial. I would use a classic, established name for a middle-- [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Frances[/name].

Avonlea is such a great literary name! It seems so much more beautiful than Novalee. The bonus is that with Avonlea you are sticking with the ‘a’ theme that you have with your previous children. I wouldn’t want to be the only child that doesn’t fit in, name wise.
Some middle name ideas

Avonlea [name]Jane[/name]
Avonlea [name]Kate[/name]
Avonlea [name]Raine[/name]
Avonlea [name]Maude[/name] (another nod to [name]Anne[/name])

For nickname choices you could have [name]Avon[/name], [name]Avie[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Von[/name], [name]Vonny[/name], [name]Lee[/name], [name]Lea[/name], [name]Lee[/name] [name]Lee[/name], [name]Nelly[/name], [name]Nova[/name] and Novie.

Thanks, Freckles! I do think I want something more feminine as a MN. I texted DH “[name]Nova[/name]” and he loves it. So, maybe we’ll add that to the list. I’m going to stick with Avonlea. I think that once I have a sweet baby in my arms to go along with the name, it’ll fit. And my DD trying to say ‘Avonlea’ is simply precious! :wink:

[name]Iris[/name], I honestly didn’t even know where Avonlea came from. It was a name that I originally thought I’d made up or just heard in passing at one point in my life. I mentioned it in passing to DH one afternoon and he kind of blew it off, and I moved onto other names I liked. I had to sit down and research the name once I realized DH was so attached and found it was from [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables. :lol: