Impossible grandmother

Dh’s grandma’s reaction to seeing my ultrasound folder titled [name]Felicity[/name]. “You’re not naming her [name]Felicia[/name] are you?” Insert annoyingly disgusted tone here. Oi. That woman. A couple years ago we told her we were considering [name]Genevieve[/name] and she asked why we couldn’t use a “nice” name like [name]Molly[/name] or [name]Paula[/name].

lol. Grandmas (not to mention moms and MILs) are a hoot when it comes to names. :slight_smile: [name]Felicity[/name]'s absolutely stunning and I’m sure she’ll grow to love it when she sees your daughter. Have you picked out a nn for [name]Felicity[/name] yet? If so, maybe she’ll warm up to that?

Still trying to decide what we want to go with. A nn is further complicated by speech issues on both sides of the family. My sister has Down Syndrome and so right now [name]Felicity[/name] sounds like Li-li-li-li. Of course she had trouble with [name]Elijah[/name]'s name when we first started working with her on it. On DH’s side of the family, his mother had a stroke about five years ago so she has trouble with the letter F.

So, basically she won’t like anything you pick. Best to just ignore anything she says. She’ll get used to whatever name you pick once baby is here. :slight_smile:

My husband still hasn’t told his paternal grandmother that we’re naming our daughter after his maternal grandmother. Mind you, this woman is easily the most obnoxious, loud-mouthed, would-never-name-my-child-after-her-in-a-million-years type of woman I’ve ever met. And she openly calls herself my husband’s “favorite grandmother” and he’s her “little [name]Markie[/name].” Ugh (insert my disgusted tone there :slight_smile: ) Back to you though (and forgive my venting). In short, I feel for you. Some people are never happy for anyone, ever. Ignore it and use a name you love. As for the speech impairments in the family, I’d feel you were singling them out more if you decide on a name to tailor to them.

I’m sure baby [name]Paula[/name] will be beautiful! Seriously though, that comment really cracked me up!

[name]Paula[/name] has gone out of style for a reason…

We have never told [name]MIL[/name] about names, she finds out when the baby arrives. Given what her two daughters are named we clearly have different styles, so I just choose not to involve her.

Thank you all for the support. It’s nice to vent sometimes.

I had to cut out names with TH & J sounds because a lot of family members have heavy accents…looking back I kind of wish that I didn’t limit myself by factoring that into picking a name (it’s really hard enough and I figure those who have pronunciation troubles could have called her by a nn?)

Good luck!