Impressions of the name Damian

[name]Damian[/name] is one of my husband’s favorite names if we have a boy, and I’ve liked it pretty well, but I’m starting to get concerned about others’ reactions to it. I never gave a thought to the fact that it was in The Omen years and years ago, but that seems to really stick with some people. I don’t like horor movies and haven’t seen The Omen, and I can’t see why a movie from so long ago should matter in 2010, but I don’t want to give my son a name that people immediately react to negatively, even if it think their reaction is unfounded. What do you think? [name]How[/name] do you feel about and react to the name [name]Damian[/name]?

I also have the connection to the movie, so I’m not really a fan. I’ve known a few Damians that weren’t the greatest of guys, so that doesn’t help it either. Have you considered [name]Damon[/name] or [name]Dominic[/name]?

I’m going to be honest of my impression with the name [name]Damian[/name] :confused:
I think it is a very handsome and strong sounding name, however, I am in the education field and maaany students I have come across with that name have required a lot of patience on my behalf if you catch my drift :slight_smile:

:wink: I work in a middle school and have a [name]Damian[/name] right now who’s quite a handful- but the thing is, if I eliminated every name that I’d ever associated with a troublesome student, that would eliminate a heck of a lot of names. I just try hard to separate my work (school) life from the rest of my life.

[name]Dominic[/name] is another name on our list.

Lol! That’s one thing I’m afraid of when I start having children, is if names will be “re-considered” because of my students. But, honestly, when I just think about the name [name]Damian[/name] I picture it on a strong and handsome person.

I absolutely adore [name]Damian[/name]. Not to mention [name]Damien[/name], and [name]Damon[/name], which I also love. As for the impression of [name]Damian[/name], I think of The Omen but in an offhand manner. It doesn’t really matter to me; I always imagine a really handsome and cunning guy, but most of the time I always think he’s got a good heart. I really like [name]Damian[/name]. (:

I really like [name]Damian[/name] and [name]Damon[/name], as well. In fact I would consider them if they weren’t so close to my own. I’ve never seen The Omen, but it’s not like it’s the name association of [name]Carrie[/name].

I love [name]Damian[/name]! I will admit when I’ve mentioned this name to other people they do make the movie connection. [name]Dominic[/name] is a favorite of mine too :slight_smile:
[name]Dorian[/name] is another name I love and it sounds similar to [name]Damian[/name]. Like [name]Damian[/name], it could have an unfavorable association, [name]Dorian[/name] [name]Gray[/name]. I actually really love [name]Dorian[/name] [name]Gray[/name] as a combo and have wondered if it would be unwise to use this combo on a child.

I wouldn’t let the the movie Omen dissuade you from using [name]Damien[/name] if you really love it.

its my husbands name! except [name]Damien[/name].
his mum watched the Omen the nite before having him :slight_smile:
he was not a difficult child either!
im fairly sure a name doesnt make a kid ‘difficult’ or evil!

I [name]ADORE[/name] the name [name]Damian[/name], I think it has a ruggedly poetic sense to it and letting pop culture affect you- you’de be left with very few names. Name him this if YOU love it.

I think the reason that The Omen, and the bad associations with the name [name]Damian[/name], still matter in 2010 is because The Omen was remade in 2006 with [name]Julia[/name] Stiles. I saw the movie, and let’s just say I’ll never consider [name]Damian[/name] (or [name]Damien[/name]) again - that boy was the creepiest child I’ve ever seen!