Impressions/Personality; Short List

I have a list of names that are…rather dramatic, and I want your opinion on two matters;

1. Can you see a real baby/teenager/adult wearing any of these names? I’m not concerned about teasing, but i do want to know if people would think “Your name is what?”, or things of that nature.

2. What kind of person, with what kind of personality, do you think a person wearing any of these names would have? I know we’re all born somewhat as clean slates, and a person can be named [name]Jane[/name], yet have a very sparkly personality. But sometimes I feel like a name encourages someone to have more spunk or to be more quiet, for example.

The List;

[name]Amaryllis[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Callisto[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Mirabeau[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]

Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

NOTE: I’m only interested in Araminta, Tallulah, and Cordelia, to save you time!

Honestly, I think [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Tallulah[/name] and [name]Cordelia[/name] are the most wearable of your list. The two that I think are maybe the least wearable - [name]Amaryllis[/name] (very [name]Texas[/name] to most US people - I think fussy old [name]Texas[/name] society lady) and [name]Mirabeau[/name] (maybe a little over the top - [name]Mirabel[/name] however is lovely). Personally, I think since all of your names have great nn options, they can fit lots of personalities. [name]Tallulah[/name] might turn out to be more of a [name]Lulu[/name] or maybe a [name]Tally[/name]. Or [name]Callisto[/name], might decide she likes to be the more mainstream [name]Callie[/name]. I definitely think these names can be very versatile :slight_smile:

[name]Amaryllis[/name] - I can see a real adult with this, maybe baby, teenager’s a little hard. Nn’s [name]Amy[/name]/[name]Ammy[/name]/[name]Ama[/name]/[name]Mary[/name]/Rylly/Lissy might help. I see someone who might love plants, and maybe be a little irritable, I’m honestly not quite sure why. I think some people will have a confused reaction, I am a name nerd and know of the plant, which others will too, and some people can analogize to [name]Phyllis[/name] or whatever, but it will be somewhat confusing.

[name]Araminta[/name] - I can see a person at every age with this, nn’s [name]Ari[/name] and [name]Minty[/name]/[name]Mindy[/name] might help. I imagine a quiet, very artistic and literary girly girl. I think people will get it largely, [name]Arabella[/name] is growing in popularity.

[name]Cecily[/name] - I can definitely see this on every age, I know a [name]Cecily[/name]. I do think the lack of nns will be a potential disadvantage. I imagine a “studious cheerleader” type if that makes sense. The [name]Cecily[/name] I know says people do often need to hear her name 2 or 3 times to get it.

[name]Callisto[/name] - I can’t see this, I’m sorry. It’s so close to [name]Calista[/name] which is a name I and other people know, people are either going to hear that or see the o at the end and assume this is a boy.

[name]Tallulah[/name] - I can’t really see this, although it’s gorgeous and I do think the nns [name]Tally[/name] and [name]Lula[/name] let me almost see it. I personally hear this and think “oh the [name]Tori[/name] [name]Amos[/name] son” or “you know, on Modern Family, that was the comical name of the dog of a really flamboyant guest character played by [name]Nathan[/name] [name]Lane[/name].” I just think a lot of people will either not get this or snicker at it. I do think a lot of people will get it too, but I think this might be more polarizing than many of the names.

[name]Mirabeau[/name] - people will be confused that it’s not [name]Mirabel[/name] / hear that it ends in O and think it’s a boy / see that it ends in -beau and think it’s a boy.

[name]Cordelia[/name] - I can see this on a real person, teenager again is hardest but [name]Delia[/name] makes it wearable for that age. I imagine a studious person who’s kind of a loner but a loyal friend to those she is close with.

I think [name]Amaryllis[/name] is the least wearable, I cant imagine a teenager/young adult with the name or wanting a name like that personally.
[name]Cordelia[/name] is my fave on the list. I happen to know a [name]Cordelia[/name] she is very outgoing, fun and beautiful aged 19 and goes by [name]Cordie[/name] which is think is a really spunky nn for her.
[name]Tallulah[/name] for me is just getting way too popular my liking, I seem to be hearing it around a lot lately.
[name]Araminta[/name] is quite wearable as is [name]Mirabeau[/name], I like the nn [name]Beau[/name] or [name]Mimi[/name].

[name]Amaryllis[/name] - Maybe with a good NN, but not really wearable in my opinion, it sounds very dark
[name]Araminta[/name] - Sounds like it should be a on a diva type, but wearable nonetheless
[name]Cecily[/name] - Very sweet and wearable, I think it would age well too :slight_smile:
[name]Callisto[/name] - I would definitely prefer [name]Callista[/name], this looks like [name]Calypso[/name] and I think it would shock people. I personally cannot see it on anyone
[name]Tallulah[/name] - Cute, sounds like a southern belle personality, having a hard time picturing it on an adult but not sure, she would have to be very charming
[name]Mirabeau[/name] - Never heard of this before, [name]Mirabel[/name] would have beena better choice
[name]Cordelia[/name] - Definitely wearable and would age well, I see this on a very sweet and quiet, well behaved girl

It seems that [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Cordelia[/name] are the most wearable. :slight_smile:

I’m revising my list, as I’ve added [name]Octavia[/name] and [name]Ottilie[/name] to this list;

[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Hero[/name]

I know Hero is a lot to live up to, but it’s short, recognizable (esp. with Heroes), and has the spunky -o ending without sounding too youthful)

Somehow the 4 syllables of [name]Octavia[/name] aren’t as long as [name]Araminta[/name], or [name]Amaryllis[/name]. Perhaps less clunky? Again, thank you for your thoughts! :slight_smile:

bump bump!

[name]Octavia[/name] - is very fancy, I see it maybe on a stuck up but not sure
[name]Ottilie[/name] - Not a big fan of “O” names, I cannot see this on a child
[name]Hero[/name] - I like but it seems masculine to me, I can only picture it on a boy (I know that is technically a girls name, but I can’t see it)

I already commented on the others, so you already have me feedback on them :slight_smile:

[name]Amaryllis[/name]—I would assume named after the South African plant that elephants eat and the liquor is made of.
[name]Araminta[/name]—Can’t even begin to wrap my head around this name. Too much.
[name]Cecily[/name]—A different girl. Someone a bit cool and not as friendly.
[name]Callisto[/name]----I would think the parents were odd for not just putting an “a” at the end instead of the “O”.
[name]Tallulah[/name]—She’s the fun girl at camp everyone wants to sit next to.
[name]Mirabeau[/name]—A mid price chain restaraunt in the touristy area of New Orleans.
[name]Cordelia[/name]—the nice girl who babysits and tutors math.

[name]Tallulah[/name] - I dont know if it’s just on Nameberry but I think at this point [name]Tallulah[/name] is going to be in school with 2 or 3 other [name]Tallulah[/name]'s, its very southern to me, not in a bad way but it doesnt sound that pretty when I imagine it being said.
[name]Octavia[/name] - I dont think you can go wrong with this name, it’s classy and easy to say.
[name]Cecily[/name] - I knew a [name]Cecily[/name] and she never had problems with her name, it fit her, I like it.
[name]Cordelia[/name] - Not a big fan, I cant see it on a grown up that well, its too cutesy for me.
[name]Ottilie[/name] - I’m think this, like [name]Elodie[/name] and [name]Eulalie[/name], are very hard to wear outside of [name]France[/name]. Unless it’s pronounced right I’m guessing everyone would say “Oh tilly” or “ah tilly” which sounds wrong to me but to each his own.
[name]Hero[/name] - Not a big fan.
[name]Amaryllis[/name] - I think of Amarillo and I think of [name]Mirabeau[/name] [name]Lamar[/name] when I hear [name]Mirabeau[/name] because I live in [name]Texas[/name] but Im not sure other people would make this connection. [name]Mirabeau[/name] is also very Southern to me but I like it.
[name]Araminta[/name]- I imagine they would get called [name]Minty[/name] which I dont think is that attractive.

[name]Amaryllis[/name] - My association with [name]Amaryllis[/name] comes via [name]Augustus[/name] [name]John[/name]'s daughter, the talented cellist - I see it as an arty/creative name. It think it’s gorgeous. I like the number of nicknames, especially ‘[name]Mara[/name]’. Would I give it to a daughter if I had one… ? It’s quite possible as I love stand-out names with history behind them… The thing that puts me off, however, is that I’m more of a full-name person rather than a nickname person… and therefore might be more tempted to go with [name]Iris[/name], rather than [name]Amaryllis[/name] … I guess time will tell!!

[name]Araminta[/name] - I’m coming around to really liking [name]Araminta[/name]. I think it’s got quirk. I would adore meeting a little baby ‘[name]Minty[/name]’. I think she’d end up being the popular girl at school.

[name]Cecily[/name] - bores me - I think prim/uptight/precious - I think of [name]Cecily[/name] Cardew from The Importance of Being [name]Earnest[/name].

[name]Callisto[/name] - not sure about this one as a usable name. For me it holds connections to the ancient Greek, but I think a cool kiddie could pull it off and would grow to own it as an adult.

[name]Tallulah[/name] - seems very American, or perhaps upper-crust English. Sporty, spunky, flirty.

[name]Mirabeau[/name] - I’m not in love with it, I also think it would almost always get shortened to [name]Mira[/name].

[name]Cordelia[/name] - nice, a bit posh. Like the Shakespearean connection. I always associate it with [name]Cordelia[/name] from [name]Buffy[/name]… I’m that generation!

[name]Octavia[/name] - I love, love this name and have done for a long time. I associate it with the historical [name]Octavia[/name], sister of [name]Octavian[/name]/[name]Augustus[/name] and wife of [name]Mark[/name] [name]Antony[/name]. Thus the name for me is elegant, classy, strong. However, I know of an [name]Octavia[/name] who is called “Occy” by her friends… which is just … yuck!

[name]Ottilie[/name] - Too frilly for my tastes. I’m actually a bit of a fan of [name]Ottoline[/name], even though it’s a bit of an old lady name.

[name]Hero[/name] - beautiful sound… but I think it is a squarely middle-name option. Mind you, if I imagined a [name]Hero[/name] she’d be elegant, wise, solemn, beautiful.

[name]Amaryllis[/name] - I always think of a movie I saw with this name as the title, but I see a strong woman (not necessarily a baby or older woman) who is creative and bold.

[name]Araminta[/name] - I love this name, especially with [name]Minta[/name] as a nn. I think most people would be a little shocked or confused to hear this name, but it is so beautiful! It makes me think of a beautiful, smart, sophisticated woman. As a child, I think an [name]Araminta[/name] would be intelligent and confident.

[name]Cecily[/name] - This name is very useable, very pretty, and makes me think of a girl/woman who is very sure of what she wants.

[name]Tallulah[/name] - seems very tomboy/sassy and maybe a little arrogant. It also seems a little trendy.

[name]Mirabeau[/name] - this seems like a created name to me, although I’m not sure if it is. For some reason the “beau” ending sounds masculine to me. [name]Mira[/name] is a very cute nn though. I don’t think this is very useable, although she could very well pull it off.

[name]Cordelia[/name] - all my thoughts on [name]Cordelia[/name] are shaped on the [name]Buffy[/name] the Vampire Slayer character. She wasn’t the best personality in the show, but on [name]Angel[/name] she turned out to be great, so I do love [name]Cordelia[/name]. And, unlike many others, I like the [name]Cordy[/name] nn.

[name]Ottilie[/name] - This one seems a little too European to pull off in [name]America[/name]. I also can’t think of a great nn, although you may choose to have no nn. I think the bearer of this name would be a little quirky.

[name]Octavia[/name] - Gorgeous, and very rarely heard. Like [name]Araminta[/name], I think an [name]Octavia[/name] would be beautiful, intelligent and sophisticated.

[name]Hero[/name] - This is a very bold choice, imho, that would take a “hero” to pull off. I love its history, though.

[name]Callisto[/name] - the “o” ending gives this name a more masculine feeling, to me. I would prefer [name]Calista[/name], which I think is very usable.

thanks everyone!

To save you time, I’m mainly interested in only these names now;

[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name]

Thanks!

[name]Amaryllis[/name] - A minor character in The [name]Music[/name] [name]Man[/name] made me kind of like this one, but I would never use it. It’s sort of believable, but I can’t see it on a young child. Teenager or adult perhaps, but no younger. Oh well, she could grow into her name. I imagine [name]Amaryllis[/name] as a music wiz.
[name]Araminta[/name] - Too similar to the snotty “[name]Arabella[/name]”, so all I can picture is a bratty teenager who’s stuck in a permanent state of texting and throwing fits if she isn’t allowed to text.
[name]Cecily[/name] - No offense, but to me [name]Cecily[/name] seems like a tramp to me. I mostly blame “[name]Cecelia[/name]” by [name]Simon[/name] and Garfunkel, but also a really sleazy [name]Cecelia[/name] I once met.
[name]Callisto[/name] - It’s believable, but I really don’t like the [name]Cally[/name]/[name]Calli[/name] nn potential. That nickname just sounds tacky to me. I’d have to find a way to insist she goes by [name]Callisto[/name] only.
[name]Tallulah[/name] - very Southern belle to me, but that’s not a bad thing… just sort of hard to pull off.
[name]Mirabeau[/name] - Why not just [name]Mirabelle[/name]? [name]Mirabeau[/name] sounds kind of awkward and “fishing for unique”. Not really “trying too hard”, just “WHY?” inducing.
[name]Cordelia[/name] - [name]Silly[/name] nickname potential, so I’d try to insist on her going by her full name. Seems like [name]Cordelia[/name] would be a gentle and friendly person though.

I’ve never really thought of [name]Arabella[/name] as snotty, probably because I haven’t met any. @valkyrie, I’d be interested in learning where you got that impression. :slight_smile:

[name]Amaryllis[/name]: a very nice flower, though I cannot see it on a teen
[name]Araminta[/name]: I think this would be more of a quiet bookworm type person, and that she should probably have a nm.
[name]Ari[/name], [name]Minnie[/name], etc. might be more outgoing
[name]Cecily[/name]: cute, and works, yet not very outgoing nor popular
[name]Callisto[/name]: might work for someone that’s really out there, though if you have a 13 year old girl struggling to fit in i’m not sure that this will help
[name]Tallulah[/name]: a little quirky sounding to me
[name]Mirabeau[/name]: I’m sorry but this sounds totally made up.
[name]Cordelia[/name]: need as nm, anything

@erose: I don’t know where exactly it comes from either. I have never met an [name]Arabella[/name] myself either. I think it may come from the “-bella” part, which reminds me of Twilight, which reminds me of the typical Twilight fan. kind of a long string to get there, but I really don’t know why else I think of that.

I already commented on the first 3 of your short list so I’ll just add [name]Octavia[/name]:

I can see this on a real adult, less so a baby or teen. I imagine someone kind of quiet and bookish. I like the name OK but don’t love how the c and the t kind of hit each other. I prefer the Italian [name]Ottavia[/name] or the nn (I think it could stand alone) [name]Tavia[/name] for those reasons.

All best!

[name]Tallulah[/name]- obviously would be fine for a child, a teen could try out the nicknames, and I actually could imagine it on an adult.
[name]Octavia[/name]- I think this is eccentric in a good way. It would wear fine.
[name]Cecily[/name]- I totally agree with the “studious cheerleader” comment somebody made. It’s a beautiful name for a beautiful girl! (or woman, or baby)
[name]Cordelia[/name]- I know a teenage [name]Cordelia[/name], and it definitely works!
[name]Ottilie[/name]- sure. A bit similar to [name]Olivia[/name], which helps.
[name]Hero[/name]- I don’t think so.