In laws' accent

One thing I wish I had considered when naming my first kid was how their name would be butchered by my in-laws’ flat, American Midwestern accent. I can’t tell you how much the accent grates on the ear. I hate the way they pronounce the letter “a.” Sounds like a dying sheep. Lol!! I’m sorry if I offend anyone with that accent. It’s just NOT for me. In that light:

1. What are your favorite baby names (for either sex) that do NOT contain the letter “a” at all?

2. Do your in-laws pronounce your kids’ names differently than you do?

1 Like

Here are some suggestions for you!

[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Minette[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Peony[/name_f]
[name_f]Blossom[/name_f]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Posy[/name_f]

[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Miller[/name_m]
[name_m]Judah[/name_m]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_u]Levi[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_u]Finnley[/name_u]
[name_m]Finnick[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u]
[name_m]Titus[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]
[name_u]Lincoln[/name_u]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]

I am already dreading these issues…

My grandmother is [name_f]English[/name_f], my grandfather is Irish, my mom is American, my dad is Australian, plus my partner and all my in-laws are Czech. I haven’t found a name I like that won’t have pronunciation troubles.

That sounds like quite a diverse family! Sounds like you guys will have a lot of neat traditions to share with a little one.

1 Like

Penelope, that’s funny. I think Scottish accents are my favorite!

Josephine is one of my fave names, but DH doesn’t like because he has a cousin by that name who is sort of a dirt bag.

I have always thought [name_f]Elise[/name_f] was quite elegant. Thanks!

Philip is one of my fave boys names. [name_f]Wonder[/name_f] if I can get DH to come around on this one. I also like [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. [name_m]Otto[/name_m] is NMS and [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] brings to mind some negative historical connotations. [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m] seems fun.

1 Like

Thanks, MG! I like [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] (but doesn’t flow with last name), [name_m]Linus[/name_m] (same), [name_u]Hudson[/name_u] (oooh!), and of course [name_m]Philip[/name_m] (love!)

Peony would be a great middle, thanks! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] but too popular for me. DH vetoed [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] but I like the outdoorsy vibes. [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] is a guilty pleasure. I like all forms and spellings of [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f].

Delphine, hmm, I go back and forth on this one. I could be convinced.

1 Like