In memory of the Titanic

Not too long ago, amandaberry suggested using the children of the Titanic’s names to honor the dead. It got me thinking about doing a blog post about the passengers and their names. Along with that, my other blog has a story about the Titanic on it you might be interested in.

I would appreciate it if you guys would go give it a look, make some comments :slight_smile:

Things you didn’t know about the Titanic

Victims of the RMS Titanic

Let me know what you think.

I love it. I think it is a beautiful idea to honour the dead children of the titanic. When the children are old enough to be told why their names are what they are then they would feel like they had a very special connection with the ship.

Kind of sad to think that if they hadn’t been rushing in the fog and had travelled at a normal pace they would have actually been able to avoid the iceberg.

I am thinking of putting [name]Catharina[/name] on my list; it’s very pretty.

Snowden is intriguing. There is a place called SnowdOn in [name]Wales[/name]; I always thought that would make a cool name but it looks like someone was over 100 years ahead of me. :slight_smile:

I liked
[name]Ellis[/name]
Hanora
[name]Mathilde[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Anders[/name]

Interesting thread. I would be interested to see the complete passenger list.

[name]Lovely[/name] idea! Those are some pretty great names. I may consider a few.

Edited for privacy.

I’m glad you’re all enjoying it! I thought that too, about it looking like a modern list sometimes. I just went to watch Titanic in 3D at my local theatre and I was thinking of all the things I learned today when writing my posts. Like how there was another ship, The Californian, close enough to see the flares from the Titanic, but the captain didn’t so anything. The theory is that they could have made it in a little over an hour, which is 3 hours ahead of the Carpathia (which is the ship that rescued the survivors) If the Californian had come, they could have saved a bunch of people.

Thanks for this post! A lot of the passengers that died on the Titanic are buried in the city of [name]Halifax[/name], [name]Nova[/name] [name]Scotia[/name].

Snowden, Vale, Quigg, Finnin, and Law are pretty cool! Robina, Stina and Sultana are very interesting. Stina would be a great nickname for Christina.

The survivors list has some nice names on it too. There’s a [name]Theodoor[/name] on there. Here’s some I like:

[name]August[/name]
[name]Kornelia[/name] [name]Theodosia[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name] [name]Trevor[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Helene[/name]
[name]Algernon[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Drake[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Victorine[/name]
[name]Orian[/name]
[name]Georgetta[/name]
[name]Mahala[/name]
[name]Lulu[/name] [name]Thorne[/name] (I just think it’s interesting)
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Christiana[/name]
[name]Florentina[/name]
[name]Antionette[/name]
[name]Hedwig[/name] Margaritha (interesting)
[name]Achilles[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Aragon[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Edwin[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name] [name]Adelia[/name]

There’s a lot more too. Here’s the link, I would encourage you all to look through it too:

Survivors

Thank you for sharing, those were very informative and very well written :slight_smile:

I went to the Titanic exhibit at the science centre in my city a few years back.
It was great, they gave you a ticket card with a passengers name and information on it, and you go through the exhibit, it’s all set up to look like a museum, and they had rooms set up like the actual ship, and people dressed up as passengers.
At the end, there are two huge plaques. [name]One[/name] has the names of the survivors, and one with those who didn’t. You search for the name of the ticketholder.

My friend and I both died. I was a man named [name]George[/name] Pachett, I think his last name was. He was only 18 or so, heading to [name]Canada[/name] to start working. My friend was a richer man, in first class. I forget her name.

It’s so interesting learning about the Titanic. Apparently they were warned three times about the oncoming iceberg, but dismissed it.

Yea they were warned several times and were aware that they shouldn’t have been going so quickly. Besides that, the lookout didn’t have any binoculars which made it difficult to spot the icebergs in enough time to stop or turn.
On the site i’m looking on, you can click on the names and get pictures of the victims and whatnot. [name]George[/name] Patchett was a 19 year old shoemakeer.

That [name]Science[/name] center seems pretty interesting. I think there’s probably a Titanic display going on at one of the museums here downtown.

Really fascinating! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Thank you for the blog posts, dantea. It’s a fascinating story with so many memories and lessons. Hopefully the world never forgets. My dad is preaching a sermon on the Titanic tomorrow. (And we’ve never seen [name]James[/name] [name]Cameron[/name]'s movie, but in his research my dad found thing after thing that Mr. [name]Cameron[/name] reportedly portrayed incorrectly, such as making the first officer, who in reality was a brave man who stood by while the lifeboats were boarded and went down with the ship, into a villain who tried to shove his way onto a boat and then shot himself when he couldn’t get in! [name]Cameron[/name] later awarded the man’s descendants $8000 and an apology for besmirching his legacy.)
That said, there are some breathtaking names on those lists. Thank you.

You’re welcome! Yea Mr. Murdoch didn’t try to get on a boat in the movie, he’s helping people, but the scene you’re referring to is where a ton of people are trying to get on the boat and he pulls a gun to keep the crowd at bay and says “Stay back or I shoot” and some people get pushed forward and he shoots someone. Then he feels terrible and shoots himself. That is inaccurate though.

There are several things [name]James[/name] [name]Cameron[/name] got wrong, but that’s why it’s a work of fiction and not a documentary.