Indie for a boy

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Indie[/name] is too feminine? I think of indie rock and indie films and that doesn’t seem too girly to me, but I’ve read comments about boy names not ending in “ie”. I can think of several boy names that end in “ie” that are not girly…[name]Eddie[/name], [name]Charlie[/name], etc

Thank you in advance for your opinions…

It seems unisex to me and I’ve never heard that -ie endings were for girls only… I would assume that most people would go with the obviously feminine [name]India[/name] for their daughters anyway.

I don’t think its too feminine because I think virtually all nicknames are unisex, but personally I’d probably go with a formal name like [name]Indigo[/name] or something like that to make it a bit more masculine.

I see it as very unisex. [name]India[/name] nn [name]Indie[/name] for girls, [name]Indigo[/name] nn [name]Indie[/name] for boys (although I know [name]Indigo[/name] can be used for girls, too…I just see it as a boys name).

[name]LOVE[/name]! It’s very, very cute. And who could be a more masculine namesake than [name]Harrison[/name] [name]Ford[/name], [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jones[/name] himself? I considered this name with [name]Indio[/name] as the full name, as well. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I really like the name, now just need to work on my husband. We are similar on so many levels except I’ve recently discovered we are completely opposite when it comes to picking out names.

I love the name as a nickname for boy or girl, but I am not fond of it as a stand alone name. I can’t think of any good full names except [name]Indiana[/name] or [name]Indigo[/name]. I think these names might start to be taken over by girls as more people are leaning towards gender neutral/masculine names for their daughters. Boys have a small enough pool of names as it is, I wish people would just stick to the bajillion girl names we already have instead of stealing from the boys… jeez!

What are some of the names your husband likes?

I know I already said it, but I’m obsessed. [name]Indio[/name] is a great, definitively masculine name with the nickname [name]Indie[/name]. I do agree though that [name]Indiana[/name] and [name]Indigo[/name] might go the way of the girls, event though I don’t see those as names stolen from boys because they are a place name and a color name. I do think the shrinking boys name pool that you pointed out might be responsible for all of the trendy invented names that we’re seeing now, i.e. [name]Jayden[/name]/[name]Brayden[/name]/[name]Braelyn[/name]/[name]Jaylin[/name], etc…

Yeah, I see your point! I guess I didn’t phrase my complaint very well. [name]Even[/name] though [name]Indiana[/name] and [name]Indigo[/name] aren’t “stolen” since their origins are truly neutral, I guess I was just complaining because once a name becomes favored for little girls it is more likely to become off limits to boys simply to avoid bullying if for no other reason. [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Lindsay[/name], [name]Leslie[/name] just to name a few that have for the most part crossed completely over!

Contrary to everything I just said, the name [name]Jayden[/name] seems to be surviving just fine for both boys AND girls. Once I start to believe that someone couldn’t possibly find one of the many and varied incarnations of this name formula attractive in any way… one of my coworkers names her son [name]Bayden[/name]. REALLY???

It seems more Unisex for me but [name]Indio[/name] is a compromise, you can call him [name]Indie[/name] for short.

It’s probably just me, but it seems so feminine to me! I guess it would be okay as a nickname.

[name]Indie[/name] feels a bit feminine to me but I love, love, love the name [name]Indio[/name]. It’s a much nicer choice than [name]Indiana[/name] or [name]Indigo[/name], [name]IMO[/name].