Indira

This is my #1 favorite girls name. I’m curious about what you guys think, although I doubt anyone could sway me from it. My SO really disliked it in the beginning, but now it’s on his own list.

The only thing that slightly bothers me is that the rest of my favorite girl names don’t really “match”. I do love many [name]Indian[/name] names, but this is really the only one in my top 10. [name]Do[/name] you feel sibsets have to all be the same stylistically speaking?

I just love the sound of this one, and the nn [name]Indy[/name]. I love [name]Indira[/name] Ghandi as a good strong namesake, and the connection to [name]Lakshmi[/name] and what she stands for.

I think [name]Indira[/name] is a very pretty name and [name]Indy[/name] is a cute nickname. I don’t think siblings names have to be from the same origin. I think it is more important for you to love each name them have siblings names “match”.

[name]Just[/name] out of curiosity, what are your other favorites?

Other names in the top group are:

[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
Sunniva
[name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Malena[/name]
Elowen

I could see [name]Indira[/name] being with any of those with [name]Sabine[/name] being my favorite.

I love [name]Indira[/name] too! I had it on my list for a while, but my husband just never warmed up to it. It also clashes with our last name. I agree that [name]Sabine[/name] would work well with it. I’m sure you’ll have plenty of time between kids to find a few more that would go well together. Personally, I don’t think it’s all that important that your kids all match like accessories. It’s more important that their names suit them as individuals.

It is a pretty name and I think you could get away with it if you are not of [name]Indian[/name] descent. I just wondered how you are pronouncing it. I’m half [name]Indian[/name] (and husband of [name]Indian[/name] descent too) and I think a lot of v pretty [name]Indian[/name] names can be ruined (to my ear) when pn by Westerners. We choose the [name]Indian[/name] name [name]Maya[/name] ([name]Maia[/name]) for our oldest daughter as it is multi-cultural and easy to pn but couldn’t agree on a second girl’s name or boy’s name that worked as well, so they have English names instead.
Are you pn it In-[name]DEE[/name]-ra (with stress on second syllable) or IN-di-ra?

I stress the second syllable actually but I do admit I tend to cut it off after the R, not before. In other words it comes out more like In-DEER-ah. I’m not entirely sure how much that bothers me, as I have an unknown French name (at least unknown in the US) and nobody can say it right so the rhythms are a bit different on this side of the ocean. I do want to keep it in mind though and really appreciate your opinion.