Influences?

One of my favorite names is [name_f]Olga[/name_f], and I’ve seen that there are many models named [name_f]Olga[/name_f]. It seems like other countries like [name_f]Olga[/name_f], but in my own country (USA), it seems that this name is far from being a favorite. I’ve also found that most people I talk to have never heard of these models, and when they do, they’re shocked. Now, I’ve been wondering, do people change your opinions of names? Does the fact that certain people bear certain names change your opinions of these names? Would you love a name that you didn’t like before, because a new favored celebrity, or even a newly beloved character in a new book, bears that name?

Absolutely! It can make me either love or hate a name.

My biggest thing isn’t so much people but it is along the same lines, I like names with history, with stories behind them. [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] - warrior from an Irish legend, [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - goddess, [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] the Great (it’s just a coincidence that these are all ‘A’ names). My partner loves the name [name_f]Faye[/name_f], I want to like it but I think the only thing that will really make me love it will be if I can find an amazing story or two with the name included.

Of course. There are many names that I really disliked but once I watched a TV show or heard of someone with that name, I came around to liking them (not loving but some of them I do actually like now). I think it helps to picture a name on an actual person instead of just an abstract concept, especially if that person is “cool”, attractive, etc.

Negative/positive connections to a name can make me dis/like a name tbh I try hard not to change my opinions based on one example especially when it comes to negative ones though :confused:

Interesting! Have there been any names that any of you all have loved first, then hated after seeing, reading about, or meeting someone with that name, or vice versa?