Input on "Karen" and other baby girl ideas

Once again, it seems that dated is the worst thing a name can be! :wink:

I actually love [name_f]Karen[/name_f]. Have you seen the BBC programme Outnumbered? Because the little girl called [name_f]Karen[/name_f] in that is the absolute sweetest and by far the funniest character. In the show she’s between the ages of 6-13 and set in suburban, modern-day [name_u]London[/name_u]. It totally works on her.

I do think it’s a bit dated, and in all honesty she was probably named by very out of touch writers (the actress’s real name is [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], and the character is based on the producer’s daughter [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]) but it totally works and I love the name [name_f]Karen[/name_f] because of her.

[name_f]Karen[/name_f] [name_f]Sue[/name_f] is delightful! I think it’s a bit dated but TOTALLY in a charming way.

I love [name_f]Karen[/name_f]! I don’t think the “datedness” will be a problem in real life. I would use it. It’s so sweet and simple.

I know a preteen named [name_f]Karen[/name_f], it doesn’t seem at all dated to me. I really like the name, and I think it’s fine with a middle of [name_f]Sue[/name_f]. It’s such a sweet name, and I’d use it, even though I have kinda bad associations with it. (Also, dated isn’t a great argument in my opinion, names go in and out of style all the time.)

I have a terrific impression of the name [name_f]Karen[/name_f], as it’s my best friend’s name. She’s 25, has a great sense of humour, and is spunky and bright. So, to me, it’s not an old lady name at all.

If you’re looking for simple, classic, easy to spell names, how about:
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Louise[/name_f] or [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]

Best of luck!

I always tell my husband that I like the name [name_f]Karen[/name_f] and that I wish it hadn’t fallen through the cracks. I recently encountered a young lady (probably 9 or 10) in a department store who was named [name_f]Karen[/name_f] and when her mother called out her name I was shocked to hear it. It didn’t sound bad and in comparison to the [name_f]Karas[/name_f], Maddies, etc. that she’s probably in school with at least she probably isn’t one of 3 or 4 in her class!

I like the name [name_f]Karen[/name_f], but I think I’d spell it [name_f]Karyn[/name_f]. For some reason it makes the name a little more modern and unique.

Yes, I find [name_f]Karen[/name_f] to be dated in the worst way. Sorry:/

What about [name_f]Carina[/name_f]/[name_f]Karina[/name_f], [name_f]Maren[/name_f], or even [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]? The suggestion of [name_f]Kerensa[/name_f] is a good one. Or maybe you would consider [name_u]Wren[/name_u]?

I know of a one-year-old named [name_f]Karen[/name_f], and for all the middle-agedness of the name, a la [name_f]Linda[/name_f], [name_f]Kathy[/name_f], [name_f]Peggy[/name_f], it was surprisingly refreshing on a baby.

I rather like [name_f]Karen[/name_f], the same way I like [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] and [name_f]Nancy[/name_f]; I think she’s ready for a revival. And you’ll probably be ahead of the 100-year-naming-rule curve.

Plus, think of women in our generation named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], named in an era of [name_f]Jenny[/name_f]'s and [name_f]Kristin[/name_f]'s and [name_f]Kristen[/name_f]'s and [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]'s; their mothers probably got “but that’s an old lady’s name” comments at the time, too.