Inside jokes/references in your writing?😁

This is something I do and I was wondering if I’m the only one.

Do you ever include inside jokes in your stories? Things that make sense in the context of the story but also reference something in real life, so it’s something that readers can still enjoy when they’re not in on it but will make your friends/family say, “[name_m]Ah[/name_m], I see what you did there!”

One that I can think of off the top of my head is a joke between my parents that has trickled down to us kids. Basically, my dad doesn’t know the definition of the word “obsequious” and will sometimes use it in an incorrect way so that my mom or I (who do know what it means) can tell him that he’s using it incorrectly.

I referenced that joke in this scene, where my MC needs to draw blood, and is trying to convince her friend to do it for her:
“What if I did something really annoying?”
He shook his head. “It just feels wrong.”
“[name_m]How[/name_m] about I misuse long words? You hate that.”
“I wouldn’t stab someone for it though.”
“That’s very obsequious of you to say.”

I can’t be the only one who does this, right? Have you included an inside joke/reference in your project? I want to hear them! :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve done this before! I can’t think of any off the top of my head right now, so I’ll be rereading my many WIPS. I’ll be back later with some!

1 Like