Instinctively, how would you pronounce Cosima?

See the results of this poll: How do you pronounce Cosima?

Respondents: 120 (This poll is closed)

• CAHZ-ih-ma (Like the beginning of the word cosmo) : 37 (31%)
  • Koh-SEE-ma : 44 (37%)
  • KOH-zi-ma : 29 (24%)
  • Something else (please comment): 10 (8%)

I’ve always said cah-[name_f]ZEE[/name_f]-muh (cah as in the “cau” bit of caught).

I have no idea what the actual pronunciation is but I would pronounce it koh-SEEM-uh? So sorry if I butchered it!

I stress the first syllable: KOH-see-mah

I’ve always pronounced it CAW-zee-mah.

I pronounce it [name_m]COS[/name_m]-im-ah, like the first option in your poll. (thanks for the description that it’s like the word cosmos, since I’d have thought CAHZ would be more like “car” in a British/[name_m]New[/name_m] [name_f]England[/name_f] accent with a z on the end!)

When I first saw the name though without being told the pronunciation, I thought it was cuh-SEEM-ah.

I say it most like the first option, but with an S rather than a Z: [name_m]COS[/name_m]-ih-mah.

Same here.

[name_m]Cos[/name_m]-Mee-uh

The poll is confusing - I voted for CAHZ-ih-ma because I pronounce cosmo like [name_m]COZ[/name_m]-mo and [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] like [name_m]COZ[/name_m]-ih-ma, but CAHZ would sound like cars to me. ?

I know some Italian and I pronounce it [name_m]COZ[/name_m]-ee-ma with the short O sound (as in [name_m]Rocco[/name_m]). I’m in the UK so I don’t know if this explanation works in American accents.

KOH-see-ma, with the stress on the first sound.

I find your poll description a bit confusing… because yes, [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] is pronounced similar to Cosmos… but your two examples are different.
I’m think this name may be an accent issue, rather than a phonetics issue.

I say Kohz-EE-muh.

I pronounce it koh-SEE-ma, like how [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] Niehaus pronounces her name on Orphan [name_m]Black[/name_m].

A mix between KOHZ-ee-muh and KOHZ-i-muh would be my pronunciation.

I’d pronounce it [name_m]Cos[/name_m]-im-ah

Sorry about the phonetic issues. I’m american so that’s probably the trouble. For me, cosmo has the “cahz” sound, haha.

[name_m]COZ[/name_m]-ee-muh or COSS-ee-muh (like [name_m]Cosimo[/name_m] with an a). First syllable like the final syllable of because, or cos lettuce. The ‘o’ said with rounded lips, like a fish. This is also how I’d say cosmos.

I’ve asked other Australians about this before, though, and those unfamiliar with [name_m]Cosimo[/name_m] de Medici tend to say cuh-SEEM-uh.

I say COSS (like “cross” without the “R”)-ih-mah. So most similar to the first option, but with a soft “S” instead of a “Z” sound. I came across several pronunciations when I first fell for it, so I sort of just went back and forth until one stuck? I don’t even know if it’s legitimate, but I do love how I say it! :stuck_out_tongue: (Although some of these might sound better in my [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] combo, come to think of it…)

The pronunication that first popped into my head when I saw it was koh-[name_f]ZEE[/name_f]-mah.