Intentional mispronunciation?

What is your opinion on pronouncing a name different? Creative spellings are a big trend, so is creative pronunciation all that different? For example, I fell in love with the name [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] (which is an alternate spelling as is), assuming the “o” sound was long, but it’s pronounced like “au”. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s weird to use a name and intentionally mispronounce it?

In English [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] is pronounced OH-ber-awn, the way you intend to pronounce it. :slight_smile:

Ditto. [name_m]Just[/name_m] like [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] beer. :wink:

I’ve only heard [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] pronounced with the long O sound as well. I’m in the UK.

To address the question, I guess there’s a lot to consider about using a non-standard pronunciation. If it’s a common name, then you and your child will probably have to correct people endlessly (“her name is joo-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-uh, not JOO-lee-uh!”).

I thouht [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] was pronounced with a long o too - like the character in A Midsummer [name_m]Night[/name_m]'s [name_u]Dream[/name_u]. I think most people in the UK would say “OH-ber-on”.

But as a general question, yes, I do think it’s a bad idea to use a name intending to mispronounce it. Your child will have to correct people all day every day. I know a [name_f]Jaqueline[/name_f] (prn ja-kwe-leen) who got so sick of “jack-a-lin” that she changed her name.

This video has some ideas for alternate pronunciation of a few names (including one mentioned in the above post).