Interested in your thoughts

I am loving how helpful and supportive everyone is on this site, and I would really appreciate your thoughts on a name for [name_u]Baby[/name_u] #3 (our first boy). He is arriving in [name_f]May[/name_f] to join sisters [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. We have list of names, none of which I love yet.

Important considerations:
-We live in the US, as does half of the family. The other half live in [name_f]Colombia[/name_f]. Names must work in both [name_f]English[/name_f] and Spanish (with the understanding that pronunciations will be different, but spelling should not change).
-We prefer classic names, the kind that have been names for years. Trendy is not our thing.
-We don’t particularly care about popularity of a name.
-Meaning of a name is important.
-Our last name starts with an “O” and sounds like “[name_u]Rosario[/name_u]”.

Contenders:

1. Lucas: I love the name [name_m]Luke[/name_m]. [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] does not feel classic enough to me. I think it goes well with our daughters’ names.
  2. Daniel: This would likely be my top name, except it’s my husband’s brother’s name.
  3. Samuel
  4. Simon
  5. Sebastian
  6. Benjamin: are the initials BO a deal breaker?
  7. Nicholas: also love this, but it’s our nephew’s name.

Other names we have considered but won’t use: [name_m]David[/name_m], [name_m]Martin[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], [name_m]Cristian[/name_m], [name_u]Julian[/name_u], Víctor.

Open to any thoughts or other ideas we have not considered. Thank you!

first of all, congrats!

on to nitpicking:
i think because of family relations, you could cross out daniel and nicholas.

simon is the one with the biggest difference in pronunciation, do you love it in spanish too?

lucas is an established, go to name. it’s also similar to nicholas and goes very well with the girls’ names. if it not being classic enough is the only issue and you really love it, i say go for it.

benjamin is very handsome as well. i don’t see a big issue with the initials BO, personally.

my personal pick is samuel. it’s very sweet, a classic, great meaning and it “vibes” with the soft sophia and clara.

a couple other ideas:
klaus
zacarias / zachary
miguel
luka / luca
silas
elias
tomas / thomas

2 Likes

I do think [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] has a different feel to me than your girls’ names and also some of your boys names. It’s nice though. At the same time, I don’t think it’d be unusual for girl and boy style to be different.

I come from a family of many Uncle/Nephew, Grandparent/grandchild, even cousin/cousin name sharing pairs so it’s not unusual to me, but I don’t love it so I would probably let [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] and [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] go, as lovely as they are.

I think I would also maybe eliminate the S names so [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] gets her own initial.

I love [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]. I think it fits extremely well with your girls’ names, translates easily, and I think the BO intials could easily become a nickname of [name_u]Bo[/name_u] ([name_u]Beau[/name_u]), which I find handsome. This would be my top choice for you, but if your heart is really into [name_m]Lucas[/name_m], go with that!

1 Like

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] names! [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_m]Simon[/name_m].
I also like [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], but most Sophias I know go by [name_f]Soph[/name_f] or [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and those would be too close to [name_u]Sam[/name_u] and [name_u]Sammy[/name_u]. I LOVE the suggestion of [name_m]Tomas[/name_m]!
I’m not too familiar with Spanish so sorry if I get some of these wrong and they don’t work in it!
[name_m]Albert[/name_m]
[name_u]Bo[/name_u]
[name_u]Bennett[/name_u]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_m]Clayton[/name_m]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Ford[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_m]Grant[/name_m]
[name_m]Harris[/name_m]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m] or [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Noel[/name_u]
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Reese[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_u]Toby[/name_u]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_u]Valentine[/name_u]

1 Like

Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions - very appreciated!

Congratulations :partying_face::partying_face:

From your list I think because of family connections I would scratch off the list [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] & [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]. I would also ditch [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] the initials BO are just awkward I wouldn’t want the initials BO personally.

From your list I love [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m].

I’m unsure as to why your not considering [name_m]Luke[/name_m] if you love the name [name_m]Luke[/name_m] just use [name_m]Luke[/name_m] it’s biblical very classic and can definitely work. If your not keen on [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] because it doesn’t feel classic enough I would also ditch this one. I would consider [name_m]Luke[/name_m] because you love the name.

You’ve had a few suggestions sorry for any repeats but here are some suggestions…
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Matteo[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Matteo[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Zachary[/name_m]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_u]Timothy[/name_u]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]
[name_m]Abraham[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Abraham[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]John[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] ~ [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f] & [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]

Thanks. Should have specified that I love [name_m]Luke[/name_m] but husband only likes [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]. Also, [name_m]Luke[/name_m] isnt really a name in Spanish. [name_u]Si[/name_u] ut could be a nickname but not “the name”

Would [name_m]Marcus[/name_m] be an option instead of [name_m]Lucas[/name_m]?

1. Lucas - is [name_m]Luke[/name_m] an option? It fits well with his sisters and feels classic
  2. Daniel -I’d probably dismiss it since it’s a close relative’s name
  3. Samuel -love it! Handsome and gentle at the same time. I think it fits well with his sisters so long as you don’t mind sharing initials
  4. Simon - it’s okay but I don’t really like it
  5. Sebastian -charming and sweet
  6. Benjamin: I don’t think the initials are a dealbreaker. It’s a nice name! [name_u]Strong[/name_u] and gentle
  7. Nicholas: again, I’d avoid it if it’s the name of a close relative

Samuel and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] are my faves of yours

You might like [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_u]George[/name_u] or [name_m]Robert[/name_m]

1 Like

Not my personal style, but thank you for the suggestion!

Sebastian is my favourite of your choices, it’s a fantastic name! It also goes so well with [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. Some other ideas:

Hugo
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]

1 Like

Felicidades por su hijo!!

Sophia, [name_f]Clara[/name_f], and…

Felix

Emilio

Rafael

Oscar

Adrian

Elian

Isaac

Enrique

Joaquin

Fabian

1 Like

Joshua is my very first thought

Santiago

Alexander

Isaiah

David

Edward

Felix

Gabriel

Jesse

Joel

I will say I think [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] works great and wouldn’t think too much about the BO thing.especially if you are giving a middle. Maybe not make the middle start with an L or O if you do use it.

1 Like