Interesting names/trends from a school

Since I haven’t posted on nameberry in a while I thought I’d post a list of interesting names I’ve come across working in a school. These names all belong to 11/12 year olds and maybe a few 13 year olds (obviously I don’t know all their exact birthdates).

• = Twins

Boys
[name]Marley[/name]
[name]Trae[/name]
[name]Tyreese[/name]
[name]Reeve[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Kane[/name]
[name]Vegas[/name] (MN - [name]Leon[/name])
[name]Blue[/name]

Girls
[name]Paisley[/name]
[name]Oakley[/name]
[name]Lisa[/name]-[name]Jean[/name]
[name]Antonia[/name] *
Niommi * (Not sure if that’s the right spelling)
[name]Francesca[/name] (Two of them)
[name]Ebony[/name]
[name]Maria[/name]
[name]Summer[/name]
[name]India[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Holly[/name]
[name]Kelsie[/name] (Not sure of spelling)

Names that I’ve noticed that are popular - There are a lot of girls called [name]Paige[/name], a few called [name]Courtney[/name], a couple of [name]Rachel[/name]'s, a million Connors, Callums and Aarons, and a lot of J names. [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Joshua[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Jade[/name], [name]Jordan[/name] and a few J sounding names like [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Georgiana[/name].

I wouldn’t really expect those kinds of names from 11/12/13 yr. olds. I didn’t think some of these name trends started until the early 2000s. Interesting… I mean I like [name]Paisley[/name], [name]Summer[/name], [name]Holly[/name], and [name]Kelsie[/name] but some of the others aren’t really my taste. And I don’t like any of the boy’s names. I think [name]Paige[/name] is okay and I like [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Connor[/name], and [name]Aaron[/name] but enough with the J’s!

Boys
[name]Marley[/name]
[name]Trae[/name]
[name]Tyreese[/name]
[name]Reeve[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Kane[/name]
[name]Vegas[/name] (MN - [name]Leon[/name])
[name]Blue[/name]

Girls
[name]Paisley[/name]
[name]Oakley[/name]
[name]Lisa[/name]-[name]Jean[/name]
[name]Antonia[/name] *
Niommi * (Not sure if that’s the right spelling)
[name]Francesca[/name] (Two of them)
[name]Ebony[/name]
[name]Maria[/name]
[name]Summer[/name]
[name]India[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Holly[/name]
[name]Kelsie[/name] (Not sure of spelling)

Names that I’ve noticed that are popular - There are a lot of girls called [name]Paige[/name], a few called [name]Courtney[/name], a couple of [name]Rachel[/name]'s, a million Connors, Callums and Aarons, and a lot of J names. [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Joshua[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Jade[/name], [name]Jordan[/name] and a few J sounding names like [name]Georgia[/name] or [name]Georgiana[/name].

I’m still in love with J names, although I hear la mode of naming has moved on to other letters. And I like the names on this list! I find them for the most part fresh and contemporary.

Notice there isn’t a [name]Bailey[/name] in sight! [name]Summer[/name], [name]India[/name], [name]Antonia[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name], and [name]Harriet[/name] are favorites, while [name]Paige[/name] is very quiet, special favorite for me. (I have an adorable [name]Paige[/name] in my family.) It’s nice to see [name]Maria[/name] on the list, as I consider it one of those classics of which I am always in favor. I thought the boys had lost [name]Oakley[/name] to the new cowgirl names, and I was right. I think [name]Paisley[/name] is fun. I suspect that is [name]Naomi[/name]. I think it’s a great choice, although not a personal favorite of mine.

I think the boys too seem impressively newly minted. I applaud [name]Marley[/name], [name]Kai[/name], and [name]Blue[/name]. [name]Trae[/name] will always be an old dog to me, but perhaps I’m just dating myself – no doubt not everyone has that association.

There are still some names whose time has come – and gone – floating around, which is as one would expect. [name]Hi[/name] [name]Courtney[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Joshua[/name], and [name]Jordan[/name]. Good thing [name]Vegas[/name] has his nn to fall back on! There is a moral here…

I quite enjoyed this list!

I also work at a middle school and come across some very interesting names! Many of our students have international backgrounds.

boys:
Ehkhu (pronounced like [name]Echo[/name], but with an “oo” ending)
Omina
[name]Dimitri[/name]
[name]River[/name]
Erenest
Sebastin
Roshan
Abdirahman (Abdi)
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Amari[/name]
Anuar
Jathniel
Mahendra
[name]Javier[/name]
[name]Angel[/name]
Gaurav
Sheng
[name]Emmanuel[/name]
[name]Miguel[/name]

girls:
Assata
Djimie (“d” is silent)
Sagal
[name]Ola[/name]
[name]Gabriela[/name]
[name]Tayla[/name]
Jetzabet
Narbada
[name]Ambria[/name]
[name]Nia[/name]
Hodan
Seble
[name]Gisselle[/name]

I also had an [name]Antonia[/name] last year (accent over the “i” not the “o”) and there are a few other neat ones I didn’t put in my list. These kids are also about 12 years old.

boys:
[name]Dax[/name]
[name]Armistead[/name]
[name]Rylan[/name]
[name]Ethan[/name]
[name]Aidan[/name]

girls:
Pranthi
Najet
[name]Anu[/name] (short for something I can’t remember how to spell offhand)
Shaneil
[name]Jaslyn[/name]