Iole Juno Hope

Belatedly announcing the birth of my beautiful goddaughter [name]Iole[/name] [name]Juno[/name] [name]Hope[/name]. She arrived eight days late on February 28th at a few minutes after midnight.

You may have seen me other thread, I was given the honour of naming her by my best friend [name]Emily[/name], and her husband [name]Mike[/name]. They wanted a very uncommon name! After discarding [name]Amabel[/name], I intended to create a new thread with more ideas, but [name]Em[/name] and I decided we’d keep discussions between the three of us. Most of my suggestions (e.g. [name]Althea[/name], [name]Saffron[/name], ) were either too common or sounded too close to popular names. I was tearing my hair out, trying to find a name that would appeal to them and not unduly burden my goddaughter, so I looked to [name]Ovid[/name]'s Metamorphosis for inspiration. It’s one of my favourite books, [name]Em[/name] and I studied it in depth at university, and we both loved how [name]Ovid[/name] changed the story of [name]Iole[/name] to emphasise her cleverness, her wit, her determination. She’s not necessarily sympathetic, but she made us laugh. Additionally, [name]Iole[/name] means “violet.” [name]Em[/name] and I both have a grandmother named [name]Violet[/name], and E carried violets in her wedding bouquet. They were also the first flowers [name]Mike[/name] planted when they moved into their new home.

[name]Em[/name] and [name]Mike[/name] loved it instantly, but we waited to meet her to decide between [name]Iole[/name] and Amalthea, my second choice. When I met her she was so perfect, not wrinkled or red but delicate and wide-eyed. [name]Iole[/name] was the one! Her middle names were chosen to honour [name]Mike[/name]‘s sister [name]Junie[/name] and my middle name, [name]Hope[/name]. I know! I am doubly blessed. I know it’s not to everyones’ tastes, but it works for her family. Older sister [name]Phaedra[/name] calls her “Yoyo,” we call her “[name]Io[/name].” She’s happy and healthy and perfect. Thanks for all your advice re [name]Amabel[/name], I might save that one for myself! (It’s pronounced “EYE-oh-lee” - the emphasis on the first syllable is very slight.)

[name]Sophia[/name] ox

I certainly sounds like the perfect name with the book and [name]Violet[/name] link.
You must have breathed a sigh of relief when they loved it. :slight_smile:

Great name! congratulations.

Beautiful name! A congratulations to all :slight_smile:

You are a wonderful friend and I love the violet connection. Congratulations to all.

So pretty! Congratulations to all of you.

I like this name! I love the story and WHAT AN [name]HONOR[/name] to name your goddaughter for your friends!

beautiful. What and honour