Irelyn?

I was just reading names over at http://names4real.wordpress.com/ & I came across “Irelyn” on a baby girl. It stood out to me. What is the general consensus? Thanks, Berries!

I think you will find that most berries hate this name and are not afraid to tell you, but I [name]LOVE[/name] it!!! I think it is a cute twist on [name]Ireland[/name]. It does have a pretty trendy feel to it, but I think it is adorable!! I consider adding it to my list all the time but I usually don’t it was on my list in the past though as Irelyn [name]Molly[/name]. This is also one of the names of the [name]Ferrill[/name] Quintuplets. They had a short lived reality show called Quintessential. They named their other children [name]Kieran[/name] (girl) [name]Lane[/name] (boy) Drayden (boy) and [name]Landyn[/name] (boy) so they are not stangers to trendy names. I think it fits in better with trendy names but I still think it is so cute.

I really like it… I have quite a thing for place names and names that end with [name]Lynn[/name]. I think its a prettier spelling than the original as well. It’s definitely a stand out to me :slight_smile:

I’d use [name]Ireland[/name] before Irelyn. I have an embattled relationship with the letter y, you could say. And I don’t like lyn/lynn. If a name doesn’t traditionally have a y in it I’m generally loathe to use one. I prefer [name]Caitlin[/name] to [name]Katelynn[/name], etc.

Anyway, I think [name]Ireland[/name] is cute.

I sincerely hope that someone would not give their child a name that appears to be a misspelling of Ireland. I would assume the parents were uneducated or very brave in their name choices if I met an Irelyn.

Maybe this name is entirely unrelated to Ireland? If so then I still dislike it because surely it would cause confusion but if it is supposed to be a different “take” on Ireland then I think its stupid. Thats like saying the Texys is a cool take on Texas or pynsyll could be interchangeable with pencil. There is no free for all when it comes to spelling, even with names, and unless there is life on Mars that prefers to spell things with tons of y’s, k’s etc, then these new “versions” shouldnt be confused with the different spellings used by different cultures because that’s completely different.

Wait, thetxbelle, you [name]DON[/name]'T want to name your daughter Texys?? (LMAO.)

I’m not a fan of Irelyn, but it’s not the worst trendy name I’ve ever heard - at the very least, it has a musical sound. I’d much prefer simply [name]Ireland[/name] though - or better yet, [name]Erin[/name], which is my own name and means the same thing.

[name]Don[/name]'t like at all but [name]Ireland[/name] is fresh and interesting imo.

rollo

Pretty in theory, but as someone who has worked on the phone for years, it will be a headache to correct people-- even more so than other rare names because of its similarity to [name]Ireland[/name].

Irelyn is really not my style. Sounds like a combo of the word ‘ire’ and ‘[name]Lyn[/name]’, so it feels like a seriously angry name to me. Kind of like naming your child Furylyn, Angrylyn or Ragelyn! Lol.

Thanks for all the feedback, Berries! I guess I am not turned off by any of the negatives because Irelyn is still stuck in my head!

I know Irelyn toes the line of “trendy” & “made-up” which are nameberry no-no’s but I think people don’t take into consideration that “it factor” that some parents are looking for; something different but not necessarily foreign to your ear. I feel like Irelyn has such a beautiful sound… I keep saying it to myself, Irelyn, & it’s still growing on me. I’m not turned off by the “ire” prefix which means “extreme anger; intense fury” because it just doesn’t bug me. There is a rasta word “[name]Irie[/name]”, prn ‘I-ree’, which means ‘to be happy’. I think it would be a lovely nod to Irish heritage in a middle spot… Yes, I am Irish.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name Texys!.. just kidding. I don’t think Irelyn is THAT bad, even if it isn’t your style. I guess Ys just doesn’t bug me the way they bug some Berries. A LOT of intelligent, educated, adult people spell their names using Y instead of I or another vowel. [name]Layla[/name], [name]Laila[/name]; [name]Phyllis[/name], [name]Phillis[/name]; [name]Gladys[/name], [name]Gladis[/name]; [name]Katheryn[/name], [name]Katherine[/name]; [name]Myrtle[/name], [name]Mertle[/name]; [name]Carolyn[/name], [name]Caroline[/name]; [name]Adalyn[/name], [name]Adaline[/name]; [name]Alys[/name], [name]Alice[/name]; [name]Madelyn[/name], [name]Madeline[/name]. Y doesn’t feel like a recent trend to me. Irelyn reminds me of a cooler version or [name]Evalyn[/name] or Avelyn. I also think it has similar sounds to [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Irene[/name].

I kind of like it!

I actually like it. I’ve never quite understood the snobbery around made up names (weren’t all names made up by someone at some point?) as long as they sound good, can actually be prounounced as written, and won’t horribly embarrass the child who has to live with it. (Caveat: I’m not talking “unique” spellings of totally common names here, that’s just silly.) I actually think Irelyn and [name]Ireland[/name] have very different sounds - the d / lack of d totally changes it for me. I’d consider it very usable (more so than some ‘legitimate’ names out there!) I suspect it’s one of those names that many name nerds will hate, but the general population will really like!

Actually [name]Alys[/name] (and [name]Alis[/name]) is a Welsh variant of [name]Alice[/name], and I guess I should point out those names aren’t all places. I will also point out that those names have all been around much longer as given names than [name]Ireland[/name] or Irelyn. So I don’t really know about that comparison. Of course, nobody’s saying that an Irelyn can’t be intelligent, because more or less anyone can be intelligent.

Incidentally, the Y in Irelyn there doesn’t bother me at all. I think people find this name tacky because it’s an alteration of a place name, and a smoosh which is kind of a Nameberry sin.

The ‘[name]Lyn[/name]’ doesn’t outright bother me, but while I think a name is safe enough if it originally started with a [name]Lyn[/name] sound, such as [name]Evalyn[/name], [name]Adelyn[/name]/[name]Adeline[/name], Avelyn/[name]Aveline[/name], [name]Gwendolyn[/name], [name]Caitlyn[/name]/[name]Caitlyn[/name] or even [name]Lyn[/name] itself, but when people start making it a suffix and turning it into names like [name]Braelyn[/name], Britlyn, Scotlyn and [name]Jaelynn[/name], it feels like a trend that will date and go stale quickly.

I don’t think it makes a difference to the name whether you’re Irish or not. If I met a Britlyn, I would recognise it as an invented name but I wouldn’t make an instant connection to [name]Britain[/name]. I probably would if they were called Englyn, though, lol.

What (still, LOL) bothers me about Irelyn that it has a really furious sound, I can’t look at the name without splitting into Ire and [name]Lyn[/name]. I haven’t heard the word [name]Irie[/name] before and I don’t know how many people will have, and I think “Ire” is a lot closer to the word ire than the word irie. I think [name]Irene[/name], [name]Irina[/name], [name]Ireland[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] are all so much prettier.

It’s two syllables but feels kind of long so it could work as a middle name.

If it’s an Irish heritage you’re looking to honour, I think a Gaelic name would be really cool. Or how about just [name]Ireland[/name]?

This. LOL

@babeinthewoods- no, names were not all “made up by someone at some point.” They evolved gradually over many hundreds of years. [name]Julia[/name], for example, is from the [name]Roman[/name] [name]Julius[/name], which is either from the [name]Roman[/name] god [name]Jupiter[/name] (which itself is from older words) or from a family name derived from a Greek word. [name]Julia[/name]'s history can be traced back thousands of years and probably extends further than that. No one ever just sat down and said, “I’m going to invent the name [name]Julia[/name].” I think that history is important. [name]Plato[/name] even wrote about the same concept in his work “Cratylus.”

But as for Irelyn, I think it’s tacky. I think it would get laughed at in [name]Ireland[/name] and even in the United States- [name]America[/name] Ferrara has talked about her challenging name in the past, and [name]America[/name] was a given name before it was a place! I don’t generally have such bad reactions to names, and I don’t mean to offend you, but I honestly hate [name]Ireland[/name] as a name and Irelyn makes it seem even cheaper. It is no different from Texys, in my opinion.

I’m not a fan of most place names in general (there are some exceptions, mostly names like [name]Georgia[/name] which were names first) but these are particularly cringe-worthy to me. I think today’s Brooklyns are tomorrow’s Tyffanis. It’s not a sophisticated name. That’s not to say that people who are named Irelyn or choose the name Irelyn are unsophisticated, just that the image the name projects is not one of class and sophistication, at least not to me. I think [name]Erin[/name] is a wonderful and subtle alternative, and [name]Iris[/name] is a nice sound-alike. Again, I don’t mean to offend you, I just wanted to share my opinion.

I don’t know why I reacted so strongly to this, I don’t think I make a lot of comments on trendy names but I think I had an “are you kidding me?!!” moment when I saw Irelyn

Everyone’s taste is different (obviously). I was just pointing out that Irelyn manages to bump up against a bunch of different name trends, making it more appealing to some parents less appealing to others. I hadn’t heard it before yesterday but I’m not suprised that people are polarized by it. I still like the musicality of it. I also REALLY like the nickname [name]Irie[/name] for Irelyn. It works for me on a couple different levels. Different names will do that for different people. I kind of agree with the way babeinthewoods put it “I suspect it’s one of those names that many name nerds will hate, but the general population will really like”.

@ellieberry: I did change Avelyn to Avelina at the request of a family member, lol. I’m flitting between Aveline, to Avelyn, to Avalyn, to Avelina, to Avelyne. I think I like Aveline best, since Avelyn is pretty ancient and so’s Avelina but Avelina would honour a family member who is Evelina. I am keeping Evalyn, though.

EDIT: Actually, forget Avalyn; that spelling is begging for pronunciation problems. The problem I have with Aveline is that everyone I tell about it pronounces it ‘AV-uh-line’ rather than ‘AV-uh-leen’. Avelyn(e) is also ‘AV-uh-leen’ but I think people would mispronounce it as ‘AV-ah-lin’.

I think it is sort of cute. I completely agree with the comment that its the type of name that most berries will hate, but a lot of the general population will like. lol. I like it better than a lot of the names kids are given these days.

[name]Irie[/name] is an adorable nickname!