Iris, Cora, or...? Down to the wire!

See the results of this poll: Which name for Julian’s baby sister?

Respondents: 0 (This poll is closed)

• Helen Lucille : 0
  • Cora Lucille : 0
  • Jessa Lucille : 0
  • Iris Lucille: 0

My favorite is [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]. Though it is currently #100 in popularity, I think it is nice enough for that to be overlooked. My favorite name for a long time has been [name_f]Aria[/name_f], then (of course) once we get pregnant with a girl it busts into the top 100 for the first time ever. I understand your hesitation! And though we can’t use [name_f]Aria[/name_f] for other reasons (because of our surname), I would still use it if we could…if that makes sense. The point is, if you love the name, use it!

I like [name_f]Iris[/name_f], it’s lovely, but there’s always been something about the name that stops me from using it. Not sure what it is. I do like [name_f]Isis[/name_f] better. Anyways, out of all your names, [name_f]Cora[/name_f] wins!

I love [name_f]Iris[/name_f], and I would never mistake it for Irish.

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f] more then [name_f]Cora[/name_f]. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] & [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] both have a nice flow.

Another combo I like from your list is [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f].

First off, I love [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]. It’s absolutely gorgeous: elegant, pretty, yet uncommon. Perfection! I also think [name_m]Julian[/name_m] is absolutely gorgeous: it’s high up on my own boys’ list.
I’m not sure that [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] works - more because of the repeating ‘s/c’ sounds. WDYT of [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u]?
Other suggestions for the baby sister of [name_m]Julian[/name_m] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u]:
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] (this gives you ‘[name_f]Belle[/name_f]’ as an option; and (to me) has similar sounds to [name_f]Mabel[/name_f])
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] (too many 'M’s happening?)
[name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] (I think this has a similar ‘feel’ to [name_f]Cora[/name_f], and it’s lovely with [name_m]Julian[/name_m])
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] (similar to [name_f]Helen[/name_f] but somehow it’s a little more fun and elegant for me. I don’t know why! [name_f]Nell[/name_f] is a gorgeous nn, too)
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u]
Best of luck!

My name is [name_f]Cora[/name_f], I loved it growing up… No one had it, always a surprise, no nicknames, I was able to make it my own & everyone remembered it. I do hear its becoming popular & im only 22 but still never met another cora or coralie ect.

However I love [name_f]Iris[/name_f], I loved it from young, I wanted to use it but my family compared it to a dog which was offensive to me. They also made the connection of iris of your eye but I still love it… I would definitely use it without a doubt, beautiful with your surname & middle :slight_smile:

1 [name_f]Iris[/name_f] - I love this name and it sounds fine with your Irish surname
2 [name_f]Helen[/name_f] nn [name_f]Nell[/name_f] - I think this name sounds smashing with [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u].
3 [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - If you don’t mind alliteration, this name has a lot of vintage charm

I love the combo of [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] but I don’t like the repetitive “kuh” sounds of [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u]. The flow between the first name and surname is MORE important than the fn and mn combo.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] is really nice. I like it better than [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] “[name_u]McCarthy[/name_u]”. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] does sometimes sound like Irish, but I do love it.
On your list I also love [name_f]Belle[/name_f]. [name_f]Belle[/name_f] is sweeter than the popular [name_f]Bella[/name_f].
[name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] doesn’t flow though.

I like [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] best. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is my fourth favorite and I don’t think it would be confused with Irish.

From your list my favourite is [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] as long as the ‘Carthy’ part isn’t in your LN, if it was [name_m]McNeill[/name_m] or any other name then it’s wonderful, as long as the LN doesn’t have a ‘car’ sound in it.

I like [name_f]Iris[/name_f], but it doesn’t have as much appeal as [name_f]Cora[/name_f] to me, it’s a little lacking in magic if that makes sense.

From your list I absolutely adore [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], I don’t know why as I usually despise ‘belle’ names, as I find them overly frilly, but [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] to me, is just the perfect blend of strength, sweetness and magic.

I don’t think [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is becoming very popular at all…

Hmm…
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] is a lovely name, she’s sweet and sparky but does sound like Irish with your surname due to your surname being so IRISH. I know that’s really annoying to hear as you love the name but it just doesn’t work. Have you thought of [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]? I love [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and even though [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is rising in popularity and all over nameberry I really don’t think you should worry about popularity concerning this choice. Outside of nameberry [name_f]Cora[/name_f] isn’t THAT popular. I’m not a major fan of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] names but it’s great that your using family names and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] has a good flow.

My thoughts on the other names:
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - I do like the name [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] she has a lovely southern sound and looks pretty. But I think [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] with a surname like [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] is just unappealing.

[name_f]Jessa[/name_f] - I would prefer [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] or [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] I dislike just [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] for me it feels too nickname-y.

[name_f]Miriam[/name_f] - She’s a lovely classic, with gorgeous religious connotations, and a very spunky vibe. [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] is effortless and elegant. I also like the [name_f]Miri[/name_f] nickname. I think [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] works with your surname despite the ‘M’ alliteration, because [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] has a lot of strength and elegance behind her she doesn’t feel informal.

[name_f]Helen[/name_f] - [name_m]Even[/name_m] though she is my sister’s name and I love her despite the fact that she’s annoying I dislike her name. [name_f]Helen[/name_f] just isn’t pretty. But I love [name_f]Helena[/name_f]. The ‘a’ makes a huge difference in my eyes completely transforming the name.

[name_f]Belle[/name_f] - She’s a dainty, feminine name. With connotations of beauty through the meaning and sound. I also love the [name_m]French[/name_m] flair of this name, she’s very sweet and works with [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u]. But [name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] doesn’t work, the names kind of run together.

[name_f]Maple[/name_f] - Similarly with [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Maple[/name_f] has a southern vibe and is rather cute. I do prefer [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] though. Also [name_f]Maple[/name_f] doesn’t work with your surname.

Suggestions:
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Tori[/name_f]’
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Emmy[/name_f]’
[name_f]Leona[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u]
[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] ‘[name_u]Lisa[/name_u]’
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] ‘[name_u]Jules[/name_u]’
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Vi[/name_f]’
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Posey[/name_f]’
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]’
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] ‘[name_f]Bella[/name_f]’
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] ‘[name_u]Penny[/name_u]’
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u]

I looooove [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], and I think [name_f]Cora[/name_f] ‘[name_u]McCarthy[/name_u]’ sounds great! [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is nice too though. I don’t think I would have thought of Irish [name_u]McCarthy[/name_u] before you said it. I also like [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] but not so much with [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], and [name_f]Helen[/name_f] but I don’t love [name_f]Nell[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Helena[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lena[/name_f]?

Thank you so much for all your feedback! it is very helpful as I have been getting myself thoroughly confused by over thinking every choice. [name_m]Just[/name_m] to clarify one person’s comment, our last name has a short a sound, not the “uh” sound like [name_f]Cora[/name_f], so there wouldn’t be a conflict there. I really love the flow of [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] and am happy to hear many of you don’t think it is too popular. I also think the repitition of the hard “c” in first and last name is nice. And yes, [name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] definitely is lacking flow, so I would have to go with a different middle name. My husband is a huge fan of [name_f]Iris[/name_f], so I’m not ready to give that up just yet. From your suggestions my husband really likes [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] but I’m not so keen on [name_u]Penny[/name_u]. I love [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], but our son is [name_m]Julian[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jules[/name_u]. Thank you again for all your advice and suggestions! More thoughts are always appreciated.

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] can also be nicknamed [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f], which I suppose you like since that was an option for [name_f]Helen[/name_f]. I say add it to the list! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] gets my vote, but I have to say I had a hard time deciding between [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f]! Either way, your baby will be well-named. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] is my favorite. Not sure where you are, but it is #155 in the U.S.–definitely on the rise, but it is more of a classic than a trendy name imo.

I also like [name_f]Helen[/name_f]. The fact that [name_f]Iris[/name_f] rhymes with Irish has never crossed my mind, but I still don’t care for it as a name (not a fan of most flower names)

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] is my favorite name on your list! However, I think the combo of [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] is divine. [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] feels strong to me and [name_f]Cora[/name_f] is the perfect soft counterpart.

[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] is gorgeous, and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] is just as lovely; you can’t go wrong with either of these. I really love the name [name_f]Nell[/name_f], though- [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] nn [name_f]Nell[/name_f] would be gorgeous. I don’t like the flow of [name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] so I would go for [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Cora[/name_f], and it really stands out on your list. I see some other M names, so I know you aren’t afraid of alliteration…may I suggest [name_f]Mira[/name_f] (meer-a). Reminds me of [name_f]Cora[/name_f], but is a bit more exotic like [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

Good luck!