Iris or Fern?

There are two reasons that I don’t like [name]Iris[/name]

1. The iris is part of the eye
  2. It is old lady to me because of associations with people in the past.

Tho it seems I’m in the minority, my vote is strongly for [name]Fern[/name]. Especially with the mn [name]Elizabeth[/name].
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] feels very vowel heavy to me, and [name]Iris[/name] has a bit of a trendy feel, although a great history to balance it, should you choose it.

[name]Fern[/name] is an absolutely lovely pair with [name]Henry[/name] and a bit unexpected, yet still familiar and lovely for a spring baby.

[name]Iris[/name] is much nicer. [name]Fern[/name] will be be mocked with “fernicate” as she gets older, and it’s just a really nasty name.

Help me out! Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

I think both are fantastic choices, particularly to go with [name]Henry[/name]. I must say though that [name]Fern[/name] is one of my all time favourites! I don’t think I can describe quite what appeals to me so much about it, I just think it’s so cute, so rarely used, and with such a lovely nod to [name]Fern[/name] from [name]Charlotte[/name]'s [name]Web[/name].

I also like the spelling ‘[name]Fearne[/name]’ but in reality I would probably go with the more standard ‘[name]Fern[/name]’ if I used this name.

I really love [name]Fern[/name] too. It is funny how people associate the name with a green droopy plant. I think of green and leafy and pretty. Good point that it would make a good spring name. I think I just need some guts to use it since the other names are more traditional.

I love [name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]! So pretty and classic, and [name]Iris[/name] is such an [name]April[/name] name… doesnt it mean rainbow or something…

Good [name]Luck[/name]!