Irish baby name (not a popular one)

I teach at a catholic school - large Irish population - and it seems like every fourth boy is [name]Ryan[/name] (if he’s not [name]Kyle[/name]). I don’t know that I’d use it for a girl.

I think Mariead is very pretty, but I’m not such a fan of [name]Imogen[/name]. I know it’s really popular on this site, but it doesn’t do anything for me as a name.

I think [name]Saoirse[/name] is gorgeous and unusual. [name]Imogen[/name] is pretty but I’m not sure it’s that unusual? Good luck!

It’s one of my guilty pleasures, but I actually like [name]Ryan[/name] for a girl!

I think [name]Maeve[/name] is SUCH a beautiful Irish name, and very underused. Unfortunately we have decided we cant use it for our baby girl because our last name is only one syllable and it does not sound cohesive. VERY heart crushing. I think [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Kerry[/name] sounds lovely and unique. Best of luck to you! =)

I love [name]Lachlan[/name] for a girl. I know it’s traditionally a boy’s name, but it ends with the phonetic “lyn” and I just don’t see it for a boy. But a little girl…so cute and very unique - at least here in the States.

I also kind of like [name]Ramsey[/name] for a girl (though I think it’s Scottish).

There are also a couple of other names that I like and while they’re not Irish, they have some Irish influence.
[name]Clare[/name] - Irish County
[name]Grace[/name] - I love that [name]Grace[/name] O’[name]Malley[/name] was a 16th century Irish pirate and if my history’s correct, she also faught for Irish independence.

[name]Mairead[/name] [name]Kerry[/name] would be very pretty.

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kate[/name] would be so beautiful and if she has a sister I think that
[name]Colleen[/name] [name]Sinead[/name] would be lovely,if is a brother then

[name]Kieran[/name] [name]David[/name]
or
[name]Declan[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]

[name]Imogen[/name], [name]Colleen[/name], [name]Declan[/name]

I don’t really care for your short list but love the suggestion of [name]Bronwen[/name]. I absolutely love this name and is very underused in my opinion. I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Emerald[/name], it is gorgeous. Great possible nn [name]Emmy[/name], as well!

[name]Emerald[/name] [name]Kerry[/name]
[name]Bronwen[/name] [name]Kerry[/name]

[name]Imogen[/name] isn’t Irish.

It was created by [name]Shakespeare[/name] (although it was meant to be [name]Innogen[/name], but got misprinted), and whilst it’s believed he created it from the Gaelic word ‘inghean’, the name itself is English.

If you’re looking for an actual Irish name, then [name]Imogen[/name] isn’t it, it’s English based on Gaelic.

A lovely alternative to [name]Ryan[/name] is [name]Rhian[/name] (ree anne)

I personally ( and I’m irish) love for a Girl : [name]Sadhbh[/name] which can be spelled Sive which rhymes with hive. Siomha(SHEE-va) ,[name]Sorcha/name, orla(which means golden haired lady). [name]Mairead[/name] is the irish for margaret and is pronounced mar-AID. For a boy MacDara, this is very unusual even in [name]Ireland[/name] but I like it’s strength and masculinity.It means literally son of [name]Dara[/name]([name]Dara[/name] represents an oak tree-hence a boy as strong as an oak). [name]Hope[/name] this helps.

My favorite Irish names are

Girls:
Liadan
[name]Sorcha[/name]
[name]Niamh[/name]
[name]Emer[/name]
[name]Aine[/name]

Boys:
[name]Diarmuid[/name]
[name]Cian[/name]
[name]Kieran[/name]
[name]Eamonn[/name]