irish family - mouthful

Hey mates,

My wife is due in a month and were set on [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] (we love the name and its a good representation of our french-irish heritage) we want something unique so we were thinking about Hastings as a middle name but were not sure if its going to be a mouthful of not sense our last name is [name_m]Montague[/name_m]…

is [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m] too much? should we lose the middle name what do you think? dose is sound elegant?

Congrats! I think the middle name is fine. [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] Hastings sounds very elegant. I’m more worried about the similarity between the first and last name. [name_m]Will[/name_m] he have a nickname? [name_m]Monty[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m]??

yes thats the plan. im glad you like the middle name

It’s surname overload for me. I think these names are more balanced:

[name_m]Ian[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Declan[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_u]Shane[/name_u] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Finnian[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]

Sorry, but I have to agree. [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] is way too much.

Yeah, this is definitely way too much surname. And Hastings is just a place to me.

I think [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] would be fine if your last name wasn’t [name_m]Montague[/name_m]. If you want to use the nickname [name_m]Monty[/name_m] you can do that because of your last name you don’t need the name [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] to use it. [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] is very similar to naming you son [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Thompson[/name_m]. Sorry I’m not a fan at all. I think you should find a different first name.

[name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] is quite silly to me. [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m] is just pompous. I would go back to the drawing board.

Hastings is a fine middle name, but [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] is a bit much. As a previous poster mentioned, you can use the [name_m]Monty[/name_m] nickname from your last name; no need to repeat the sound with a first name of [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m]. [name_m]Montague[/name_m] is a strong last name, so I’d pick a different, more traditional first name to go with it:

[name_u]James[/name_u] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Declan[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Brendan[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Kevin[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Eamonn[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_u]Michael[/name_u] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]

[name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] doesn’t work–the names are too similar, especially if you’re going to call him [name_m]Monty[/name_m]. [name_m]Monty[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] sounds ridiculous… It is just like naming him [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Charleston[/name_m]. Stay away from anything with “[name_m]Mont[/name_m]” in the first name. I do like Hastings in the middle place.

Here are some suggestions of [name_m]French[/name_m] names that are different enough from [name_m]Montague[/name_m] to work:

[name_m]Marcel[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Pascal[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Pierrot[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Guillaume[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Julien[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_u]Noel[/name_u] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m]

I think its awesome! Good luck :slight_smile:

I love Irish names I think their lovely! [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m] sounds really great. It sounds super cool! If you love it go for it.

ugh, now I’m not that sure. Is [name_m]Monty[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] too much as well? But I get where you guys are coming with [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Thompson[/name_m]…

Sorry, it does sound a bit cartoon character :frowning: Sucks as it’s a great stand-alone name and you had already chosen it! But if you’ll definitely use [name_m]Monty[/name_m] (and likely he’ll get that once he’s in school anyways) then the combo with the surname might not be the best to bestow.

If you’re just trying to get to the nn [name_m]Monty[/name_m], I agree with everyone that you can just use the surname. Or how about flipping your choices?
Hastings [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] nn [name_m]Monty[/name_m]? Hastings [name_m]Montague[/name_m] is a mouthful, but works.

If you’re looking for elegant, how about a more traditional non-surname up front as people are suggesting?

[name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m]

Hastings is the name of the dim-witted sidekick of [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_u]Christie[/name_u]'s Poirot (along the lines of [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m]'s [name_m]Watson[/name_m].) It’s his surname, but in the books he’s always referred to as Hastings. Arthur Hastings - Wikipedia

Then there’s also the famous Battle of Hastings, where lots of people died…

I disagree with the majority of posts here though-- there’s a kind of nameberry rule against repeating sounds, but I find it poetic. To me [name_m]Monty[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] is distinctive, memorable, original, much more so that Normal-Name [name_m]Montague[/name_m]. It’s a bit bold, but I think you should use it if you like it. I also think that the nn [name_m]Monty[/name_m] wouldn’t necessarily stick with just the surname; kids in school will go ahead and call him their own nicknames, unless he insists on [name_m]Monty[/name_m] himself, which there’s no guarantee of.

So from me that’s a no to Hastings, yes to [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] :slight_smile:

We personally think that [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] is a superstar name and a memorable one. Yes, it’s bold but it’s elegant. I am just afraid its a bit cartoony. youll got me thinking.

Congratulations, @Mark125!

[name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] Hastings is perfection :).

[name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m] is not :(.

I have to agree with the majority here: that’s a whole lotta surname and while I do not mind names that are a bit more poetical (my daughter has one that goes against some nameberries’ rules) this is a bit too 'variations on a theme". It does sound a bit cartoony.

I do like that it draws from both of your origins, which might be hard to find other names with like inspiration. Maybe take a look at [name_m]Breton[/name_m] names?

Hastings in the middle spot works. These don’t have the same origins necessarily but have that bold-yet-elegant and poetical feel, especially if you like the alliteration:

[name_m]Mordecai[/name_m]
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m]
[name_m]Malik[/name_m]

This is a joke right? [name_m]Monty[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m]?

Hey, you gotta go with what you love and what feels right to you. I went to school with a P@trick Fitzp@trick, which I thought was a bit funny, but it certainly didn’t seem to hinder him in any way. He was smart and popular and well-liked. He was just P@t Fitzp@trick, and your son will just be [name_m]Monty[/name_m] [name_m]Montague[/name_m]… You are right it is memorable!