Is Ace sporty?

Not expecting, but collecting.

One of my favorite names could result in [name_m]Ace[/name_m] as a nn, which I think is kind of awesome. The issue (maybe) is that we are not a sporty family. We’re the “picked last for the team” kind of people, so that means any future kids wouldn’t be exposed to a lot of sports. Would it be weird for someone to have the nn [name_m]Ace[/name_m] but not be “jock” or “sporty”?

It doesn’t feel like a “jock” or “sporty” name to me.

If you asked me “what is a little boy named [name_m]Ace[/name_m] like”, I probably would say athletic. But, I think it would perfectly fine for an [name_m]Ace[/name_m] to not be sporty kid, too. I wouldn’t worry about it.

1 Like

Works for a jock, works for a nerd. [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t go wrong. Your kid could also be the odd one out and be the jock of the family.

3 Likes

Curious what the full name is that [name_m]Ace[/name_m] is short for!

I think it either sounds sporty or like a poker player! But I also think stereotypes like these are silly. Someone named [name_m]Ace[/name_m] doesn’t have to be athletic. If you love it I wouldn’t let that worry you!

1 Like

I do think it sounds sporty, but also fun and sort of intellectual in a way as I think of card sharks via the ace in a deck of cards/being “ace” at something. Has a jovial, competitive spirit about it :wink:

It does feel sporty, but not exclusively. it could work for any kind of kid imo

The full name would be [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m], but his initials would be A.C.E. I also think stereotypes pretty silly but I have such a dated nn that it makes me question if names “fit”! ([name_f]Cathy[/name_f]. So many of my teachers were also named [name_f]Cathy[/name_f]. Not a single person my age!)

3 Likes

My coworker had an [name_m]Ace[/name_m] in [name_u]January[/name_u] and they are athletic parents. [name_f]My[/name_f] SO’s first thought was that it does sound like a jock name. A friend of mine brought up [name_m]Ace[/name_m] [name_f]Ventura[/name_f]. I appreciate the choice as it’s pretty quirky! I think it could work on any type of kid. :slight_smile:

Ambrose [name_m]Charles[/name_m] is a gorgeous full name!

I love [name_m]Ace[/name_m]. I don’t think it’s a problem if he turns out not to be athletic.

My first associations are asexuality and playing cards, so I don’t really think of it as particularly sporty! The asexuality association is definitely one to be aware of, though. [name_m]Ace[/name_m] is a name I love in theory but I’d hesitate to name a child or character after my sexuality. But since it has so many other associations, I think it’s usable!

Good to know! This actually started because I was trying to find a nn that was potentially future grandma friendly, and then got caught up in “what would a potential class-mate think of this if he wanted to use it in school”? Good to know there are some other associations that I wouldn’t have considered.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] great-uncle was [name_u]Asa[/name_u] nn [name_m]Ace[/name_m]. I’ve never heard of him being sporty. The nn was held in high regard in our family, fitting him much more so than his given name. He and his wife were quite dear to my mom, so I heard about him often by his nn, and I didn’t hear of his given name until I was older.

Ace does strike me as quite energetic but i don’t think it has to be sporty

1 Like

Ehh i do think of [name_m]Ace[/name_m] as a relatively sporty, outgoing sort of name and if I heard of an unathletic, wallflower type kid named [name_m]Ace[/name_m], I would think, “that’s rather unfortunate.”

When choosing a name for DD we definitely scratched some names off the list because we weren’t sure any child of ours would realistically be able to pull it off or if we thought the name only really suited a single personality type. That being said, since [name_m]Ace[/name_m] would just be a nickname, and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] gives me vastly different expectations, I think you’re fine.

Ace is used as a term for people who are asexual. I think it’s alright as a nickname, but having something else as a full name would be my suggestion.

To me, names like [name_m]Ace[/name_m] and [name_u]Legend[/name_u] have a lot of weight to put on a child. Cuz I think of someone “acing a test” or “a sports legend” when I hear those words…

I’ve always loved the name [name_m]Ace[/name_m], and I never would’ve associated it with sporty or athletic. [name_m]Ace[/name_m] feels very cool, edgy but still soft to me. I especially love the full name you picked out, it’s so handsome! [name_m]Ace[/name_m] would make a lovely nickname, in my opinion. I also think the person makes the name, not the other way around. I don’t see why any personality couldn’t fit [name_m]Ace[/name_m]. Besides, it’s just a nickname, so he could always choose to go by a different one someday! I think if you really love it, you should continue to consider it!

(Also, it’s funny, I am on the ace spectrum myself but never would’ve associated the name [name_m]Ace[/name_m] with the sexuality. I think [name_m]Ace[/name_m] has way stronger connections, and most people probably wouldn’t associate the two in real life!)

Ace definitely strikes me as a more athletic name (although ACE bandages are actually the first thing that comes to mind). I don’t think it would be weird for someone named [name_m]Ace[/name_m] to not be athletic though, and it wouldn’t carry over to how I treated them at all.

When I was younger I actually used [name_m]Ace[/name_m] as a gender neutral name for one of my toy dogs that i couldn’t decide if it was a boy or a girl, so my association with the name is very unique

but ultimately I think [name_m]Ace[/name_m] could be sporty, but also in the context of acing a test could be nerdy. i think another pop culture reference may be the [name_m]Ace[/name_m] Attorney video game, so i think it could work on any kid