Is Addison usable as a boys name still?

Over the last week I’ve seen quite a few questions in different places asking about [name]Addison[/name] as a boy’s name. [name]Just[/name] wondered what people thought here. Answers on the other places tend to be mixed - some saying it has gone to the girls, the more name nerdy people :slight_smile: saying it is good to see a name ending in -son being suggested for a boy. WDYT?

I can’t stand it as a girl’s name so I would defintely say it’s better for a boy

My niece (she is not really my niece but she calls me Aunt [name]Lindsay[/name] so I consider her my niece) is a female [name]Addison[/name], she spells it [name]Addisyn[/name] though, and she is adorable, but she only goes [name]Addie[/name]. If she were not my niece I don’t think I would even know her name was [name]Addisyn[/name]! [name]Even[/name] when she is in trouble she is called [name]Addie[/name] [name]Marie[/name]. So it is almost like her name is not really [name]Addisyn[/name]. I know 3 guys named [name]Addison[/name] though and they actually go by [name]Addison[/name] so I think it is definitely usable.

I’ve only ever heard it as a girl’s name, but I prefer it as a boy’s name. That being said, I wouldn’t use it for a boy. It is a pretty popular girl name around here.

I love [name]Addison[/name] for a boy, but I have an irrational love for these types of names on boys (like [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Aubrey[/name], [name]Meredith[/name]). Its much more of a boy name to me.

I adore [name]Addison[/name] for a boy, but I’m with @sillysheila! If I could, I would probably have boys named [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Harper[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Aubrey[/name], [name]Alexis[/name], etc. I don’t know why I’m drawn to them so much but I am! I don’t want to give them up and let the names go to the girls but honestly, I’m a bit put off by the reactions people have when I mention I like the name… :confused:

For me [name]Addison[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name] on Private Practice / [name]Grey[/name]'s Anatomy makes the name not really usable for boys…

It’s definitely usable for boys! I prefer it on boys as opposed to girls.

I named my daughter [name]Addisyn[/name]…I love unisex names. Sure my kids wont. My oldest daughter’s name is [name]Peyton[/name]…Im [name]Courtney[/name]. To me, they just fit…

I loved [name]Addison[/name] for a boy long before I ever heard it for a girl, I was crushed when I saw the huge female upswing and moved on :frowning: But I would [name]LOVE[/name] to meet a newborn [name]MALE[/name] [name]Addison[/name] any day!!! (Also, it’s a ‘son’ name!! clearly boy!)

YES! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Addison[/name] on a boy! I don’t see why not? [name]Just[/name] because girls have been named that doesn’t mean it’s now unusable. I hope moms of boys continue with using these type names. I even want a boy [name]Madison[/name].

I think it would work. Considering loads of -son names are very popular for boys now. A male [name]Addison[/name] wouldn’t feel left out around [name]Carson[/name], [name]Jackson[/name] and [name]Greyson[/name]. If its popularity for girls were an issue, you could use a masculine mn, like [name]Addison[/name] [name]Leo[/name], [name]Addison[/name] [name]Caleb[/name] or [name]Addison[/name] [name]Theodore[/name].