Is Adonis too much, even as a middle name?

[name]Hi[/name], all. I find out in 15 days (fingers crossed) the sex of my baby, and I’ve settled on my girl’s name ([name]Philadelphia[/name]).
For a boy I love [name]Galileo[/name] (Thanks to whoever posted about their friend’s son by this name on a recent blog). I was trying to find a star name that I would love for the middle, but Antares was as close as I could get, and it’s not settling right.
I love [name]Galileo[/name] [name]Adonis[/name], but is it too much, having 2 historical names that close? Any other suggestions for [name]Galileo[/name]'s mn?

I love [name]Philadelphia[/name]…such a unique, interesting choice.

[name]Galileo[/name] is interesting as well! It’s not my style, but I do have to admit it’s a pretty cool name. However, I think you’ve answered your own question - I think it is definitely too much to have two extremely strong historical names. If you love [name]Adonis[/name], it would make a great middle name, without [name]Galileo[/name]. Together, it’s too much to live up to, so to speak. I don’t have any specific suggestions in mind for a middle name for [name]Galileo[/name], but something a little more subtle would go very nicely. Something out of the ordinary without being over-the-top.

Good luck!

Thanks! BTW, [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Camille[/name] are two of my faves, my baby-daddy nixed them, but I think they’re lovely!

I agree with pp…it’s a bit of a name clash to have two such strong names (with such potent historical/literary associations) put together like that. I’d opt for a slightly more vanilla-sounding middle name with [name]Galileo[/name]. I’m not saying it needs to be super common, but something with an established (or even a vintage) feel helps to anchor [name]Galileo[/name].

Personally, I think I’d go for something along the lines of:

[name]Galileo[/name] [name]Edwin[/name]
[name]Galileo[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Galileo[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Galileo[/name] [name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Galileo[/name] [name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Galileo[/name] [name]Damien[/name]
[name]Galileo[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Galileo[/name] [name]Vincent[/name]

Ok, [name]Adonis[/name] is out. What do you guys think of [name]Galileo[/name] [name]Augustus[/name]? Still too much? Any more wonderful suggestions? Pleeeeease?

I like it! [name]Augustus[/name] is uncommon but not outlandish…sounds perfect to me, in terms of your naming style. I also really like cressida’s suggestions, [name]Galileo[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Galileo[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] in particular.