Is Alasdair acceptable even if you’re not living in Scotland

Thanks for saying it’s not ‘outlandish’. One of my concerns was that maybe it’s a bit too out there??

1 Like

I don’t mind at all! They do have some Irish heritage but it’s pretty far back in their family tree. They just loved the name [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]!

I think [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is completely usable outside of [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] it’s a great classic and I prefer to [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]!

I like it, I think it’s usable outside [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] for sure. I personally do prefer [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], but [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is a fine name as well and it sounds like it’s your preference of the two, which is what matters most.

I agree that [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is usable outside of [name_f]Scotland[/name_f], it’s close enough to [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] not to be a problem at all in my opinion, and I totally agree [name_f]Dair[/name_f] is a wonderful nn option. [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]’s my favourite variation too (although I’m a bit closer to [name_f]Scotland[/name_f], and dream of living there someday haha)

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying this - it’s a relief to know that there are others out there who don’t worry so much about their children’s names strictly having to match their own heritage :blush:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: It’s a bit of a tricky one at the moment. I keep switching between [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] and [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]. I think because initially [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] was what we were considering, but now that the pronunciation issues have come in to play it has confused me somewhat :woman_facepalming:t2: I really wish this was an easier decision!!

Yeah, I prefer [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] in part because I like the pronunciation better, but if you prefer a more strict -dair pronunciation [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] certainly seems like the spelling to go for!

Thank you - so true! :hugs:

Yes, but it’s pronounced “-stir” in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f], not “stair/dare.”

Oh - really?? Whoops! Well, this leaves me in a bit of a pickle then :woman_facepalming:t2::flushed:

Funnily enough, I dated an [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] once! Didn’t strike me as overly Scottish, as [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]/Alastair are both quite common here ([name_m]Hobart[/name_m], Australia). So common in fact that you wouldn’t even think to question the origin if that makes sense!

Perhaps it depends where you’re from! But from my point of view it works regardless of your heritage :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve only ever heard “stair/dare” pronunciations! The guy I used to date, was an ‘[name_f]Alis[/name_f]-DARE’.

1 Like

Oh - how absolutely glorious to have dated an [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]!! I hope he was lovely and a gentleman too; all qualities I hope my son to one day possess :blush:
I can’t even put into words my relief about your experience with the way [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] pronounced his own name. I was gutted, to say the least, when the pp told me that my desired pronunciation with the ‘dare’ ending isn’t the correct way :frowning: Although, I do appreciate the honesty!
So lovely to meet a fellow [name_m]Ozzie[/name_m] on here too btw! It’s very reassuring to know that [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] won’t be seen as too Scottish and too different from his more popular cousins, [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] and [name_m]Alastair[/name_m]. Thank you! x

Just to paint you picture: he dresses really well, is handsome, articulate and a great conversationalist (always up to date on news and current events). A bit out of my league in all honesty!

I don’t forsee you having any issues down under with your preferred pronounication. It’s a lovely name!

1 Like

Oh wow - what a gorgeous picture you’ve painted for me :heart_eyes: He sounds amazing! But I’ve got to say, I disagree with you about him being out of your league. He wouldn’t have dated you in the first place if this was the case! I’m certain you’re just as lovely and generous in person as you are in your very supportive and positive messages :blush:

Thank you for easing my anxiety over choosing this name :hugs:

Thank you for the kind words! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] I could help! Regardless of what you end up picking, I’m sure it will be just perfect for your little one. You’ve got great taste! Wishing you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy!

Thank you so much! You’ve been a wonderful help x