Is Alec dated or classic?

We have chosen [name]Alec[/name] as the name for our baby boy due in early Sept. I hate second guessing but my brother said it sounds “kinda like an 80’s name”. Does it? I have never thought that before (it sounds like a strong, classic Scottish name to me) but now I’m wondering if others feel the same as my bro.

What do YOU think? Be honest you won’t hurt my feelings :slight_smile:

Thanks!
[name]Tara[/name]

Classic!

My reaction is it’s a strong, classic, handsome name that’s a refreshing break from the many [name]Alex[/name]'s these days (though I admit, I have a soft spot for [name]Alexander[/name]).

[name]Chad[/name]. [name]Chad[/name] is an example of an 80’s boy name. Had you been asking if [name]Chad[/name], then it’s a resounding ‘dated!’

But [name]Alec[/name]? No way! Genuine class!

Any more thoughts out there?
Thx!

I agree - definite classic! An 80s name is [name]Zack[/name], not [name]Alec[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name]!

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Tara[/name]!

Actually, I wouldn’t really call [name]Alec[/name] dated OR classic…

To me, dated is [name]Jason[/name], [name]Shane[/name], and the -aydens ten years from now. Especially compared to all the popular trendy names, [name]Alec[/name] feels fresh and underused! Maybe your brother was reminded of [name]Alex[/name] (not dated, but it’s probably the most common nickname for [name]Alexander[/name], which has been popular forever)? Classic is more like [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]James[/name], and [name]William[/name]. [name]Alec[/name] is a bit different, but not classic is perfectly fine! Of course, if you’re talking about classic in [name]Scotland[/name], I really wouldn’t know about their naming trends! Either way, I don’t think that your brother’s opinion matters, I mean, it’s YOUR son to name!

So, basically, I wouldn’t say that I wouldn’t describe [name]Alec[/name] as dated or classic, but it’s definitely a lot closer to classic than dated!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Perfect!
Thank you, [name]Cecily[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Tara[/name]

More classic than dated! [name]Alec[/name] is a great name.

great name, not dated. [name]Alec[/name] has the classic feel to it b/c of [name]Alexander[/name]. I think it will age very well even if it becomes more popular, will never come off as trendy. :slight_smile:

It is classic imo. However, I have never met an [name]Alec[/name] so I have no strong associations towards the name.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I don’t think my brother’s comment would make us change our minds, it just made me uneasy for a minute. I don’t think it sounds dated at all either…I think he’s just messing with me anyway. He knows how much thought I put into this naming process and he was (playfully) giving me a hard time.

Thanks, again, all of you :slight_smile:

[name]Tara[/name]

I’ve recently fallen in love it it, definitely due for a comeback!

(-:

[name]Alec[/name] is [name]Alex[/name] misspelled [name]IMO[/name]. I know its a name but its so weird. There was an [name]Alec[/name] on my brothers soccer team and it was so hard and weird saying his name.

I like [name]Alec[/name] much more than [name]Alex[/name]. I just get a completely different mental picture with [name]Alec[/name]…handsome and rugged and Scottish. I know that we’ll be correcting people forever ("it’s [name]Alec[/name] with a “c”)
but that’s okay…we think it’s worth it :slight_smile:

Thx-
[name]Tara[/name]