Is 'Amber' Out of Style???

Hello,

We are planning to name our little girl [name]Amber[/name], last name [name]Chan[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think it is ‘out of style’ as indicated on Nameberry? I just love this name and it is one of the few that both my husband and I agree on.

Also, I would love to hear middle name suggestions! So far I am thinking [name]Amber[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Amber[/name] [name]Leanne[/name], or [name]Amber[/name] [name]Joelle[/name]. However I feel that there must be something better out there that I’m not thinking of.

Thanks for your help in advance!

[name]Sarah[/name]

Yes, [name]Amber[/name] is certainly out of style. That doesn’t make it a bad choice, it’s just something you have to bear in mind when selecting it. Most [name]Ambers[/name] today are having babies rather than being babies. :slight_smile: [name]Just[/name] remember that “style” only means popularity, and it’s not, in fact, very popular these days when [name]Bella[/name] and [name]Addison[/name] rule the roost. If you love the name, use it, bottom line.

[name]Melissa[/name] is totally right on. [name]Amber[/name] is definitely out of style, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use it. I know [name]Rose[/name] is really overdone, but I think [name]Amber[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is pretty.

[name]Amber[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Faye[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]

Maybe you would like [name]Camden[/name], [name]Cambria[/name], or [name]Avalon[/name]. Or maybe you would like [name]Gemma[/name]. “M” is a lovely sound with “b”. Hmmm… what else is there? There’s:
[name]Embry[/name]
[name]Emberly[/name]
[name]Emma[/name] - no “b” and it’s too popular, but I really love it.
[name]Tamsin[/name] - [name]Just[/name] reminds me a bit of [name]Amber[/name].
[name]Amandine[/name] - means almond, a very warm meaning like [name]Amber[/name].
[name]Hazel[/name] - very warm, autumnal.
[name]Mabel[/name] - could be a nickname for [name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name], again, a very warm name, means Hazelnut.
I will look up some names that mean fire or warmth or hearth. I looked them up and couldn’t find anything that sounded good. But maybe you would like:
[name]Melina[/name] - such a warm name and it means quince yellow. Yellow is kind of a similar color to amber.
I will look in my [name]Laura[/name] Wattenburg book.She has a section called “Charms and Graces” which I think is what you’re looking for. A few selections from that section are:
[name]Garnet[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Topaz[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
These are again very warm and charming names.

Like others said, poor [name]Amber[/name] is definitely out of style. What about [name]Amberly[/name] or [name]Amelia[/name]? If you’re in to gem names, what about [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Pearl[/name] instead of [name]Amber[/name]?

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Know what? [name]Amber[/name] is a bit out of style but feels right at home with the Rubys, Pearls & Opals out there now ([name]Opal[/name] is just starting to come back, I think. I know two of them born within the last year!). And I like [name]Amber[/name], warm, friendly and happy.

I’m a big fan of family names in the middle but if you’re not, some random thoughts for you:

[name]Amber[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Theresa[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Lorraine[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Patricia[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Vivien[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Amber[/name] [name]Diana[/name]

At least there’s a few ideas, anything jump out at you? I could probably dig out a few more if you like!

I personally feel like [name]Amber[/name] could be a better middle name with [name]Chan[/name]. Something with more syllables for the first name like [name]Vivien[/name] [name]Amber[/name] [name]Chan[/name] sounds prettier and more distinctive to me… no offense! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] - I think if [name]Amber[/name] is the name you love, you should use it! You never know when or sometimes even why a name will go in/out of style. I am an [name]Emily[/name] … when my parents picked [name]Emily[/name], it was not popular and all my Aunts told them it was ugly!

However, if you are looking for something unique, I really like using other languages … for example [name]Amber[/name] in Italian is [name]Ambra[/name] and would be different, but you could even still call her [name]Amber[/name]. In Spanish, it is Ambarina. This would be good because it has more syllables to go with your last name.

Good luck!

I like the suggestion of [name]Ambra[/name]! That is very nice.

I like [name]Ambra[/name]! But if [name]Amber[/name] is THE name for you then go for it!

I agree with [name]Melissa[/name] that style only means popularity. If you like [name]Amber[/name], go for it!

I like the suggestion of [name]Amber[/name] [name]Faye[/name].

Yes, it’s currently out of style but feel free to take that with a grain of salt if it’s a name you really like. [name]Amber[/name] is a straightforward, cute name with a natural, warm connotation, like honey. The possible disadvantage is that she will feel left out for not having one of the elaborate names that are popular now, or thinking that she has a mom-ish name, but the possible advantage is that her name still has a pleasant, glamorous meaning and people will be familiar with it–she will meet other [name]Ambers[/name] even if most of them aren’t her age. I don’t find it objectionable as a name in any important way.

I have liked the name [name]Amber[/name] for a while. It is one of those names that just sounds like all the right sounds to me, however it is seen as unpopular and “unstylish” due to the fact this was very popular not too long ago, that these things go out of style and wait until they sound new again. However, I would choose it if you love it. Not that many of her classmates will share her name, to me it sounds warm and sunny, something of a carefree personality, that’s free of associations with other people who have the name, very focused on how the name sounds to me, the imagery I get. Other people will associate it with a long list of people they know with the name (another reason names go out of style is because you or someone you know is bound to know someone with the name - any popular name - whom they despise with the fire of the hot, hot sun. This reaches a critical point and the name just has nowhere to go but down). They will associate it with a certain cheapness, certain names are well chosen by… certain professionals who may be paying their own way through college, at least some of them must be.

I think in any era where some names seem out of style and some names sound very in, names still have a whole language quality of “sounding pretty” or “sounding not pretty”. A name like [name]Bertha[/name] always sounds very heavy and unattractive. A name like [name]Cheryl[/name] sounds very pretty but from a different era. I think a name like [name]Cheryl[/name] could still be chosen and nobody will hate it too much because it sounds pretty anyway. They might feel unstylish, but still have a decent euphonic name nonetheless. Someday, [name]Bertha[/name] will sound ok to some people and I will ask them what’s their dosage. I think a name like [name]Amber[/name], especially now that it’s no longer too common at all, will sound very nice and unique at least among classmates. It still sounds pretty to the ear, so it should be fine.

I personally like [name]Amber[/name], and always have. It is my twenty-year-old sister-in-law”s name, and to my knowledge she gets complimented on it quite frequently. It’s not very common here. I have always seen it as a very warm, soft, feminine name. For alternatives, I”m not big on [name]Amberly[/name]”sounds a bit trashy to me”but I love [name]Amelie[/name] and [name]Ember[/name]!