Is Amelia too similar to emma?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],

Like the title says, I have an Emma…I love the name [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] for another girl but others have mentioned it’s too similar.
That never even occurred to me, but wanted to see what the group consensus was.

Thanks!!

1 Like

Nope, I don’t think they are too similar to be sisters. I think they work well together.

2 Likes

They’re pretty similar in a few ways, but not so similar that it would be confusing. They sound pretty together!

2 Likes

They’re way too similar for me, especially since [name_f]Emma[/name_f] could be a nickname for [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] philosophy is always–if you have to ask if it’s too close, it’s too close.

3 Likes

I’m usually sensitive to this sort of thing, but I honestly don’t think so with this pairing. Yes similar starting sounds but I think the rest of the names diverges enough for both to be distinct. I’d keep a look out, but if you don’t find anything that you love as much, I’d just go for it.

2 Likes

I agree that since Emilia became more prominent there would be a good chance of this mixup happening.

If you called Amelia Mia or Mila or Mimi or Lia I think you could get away with it, but if it was just Emma and Amelia I think they’d sound confusingly similar.

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re too similar for sisters. If it doesn’t bother you, I wouldn’t worry about it.

1 Like

I think it’s fine. I’ve met sisters [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and it didn’t seem to be an issue

1 Like

I also know sisters named [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], and they’ve never seemed too similar to me. And I’m normally pretty picky about this sort of thing!

1 Like

I think it could work, but if you’re worried about it, you might also like [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]? [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] sound quite nice together too.

1 Like