Is Angus "Gus" destined for a life of ridicule?

I actually know 3 [name_m]Angus[/name_m]’, all young, so I don’t see it as unusable at all. As far as I know, they are all fine and haven’t really been teased about their names at all. I personally think [name_m]Angus[/name_m] will be one of the next popular names. I do live in a rural area too, and I think the closest any of them came to being teased was when [name_m]McDonald[/name_m]'s (?) released their Mighty [name_m]Angus[/name_m] and Grand [name_m]Angus[/name_m] burgers and was promoting it like there was no tomorrow- one of them would occasionally get ‘Mighty [name_m]Angus[/name_m]’ or ‘Grand [name_m]Angus[/name_m]’ is a Scottish accent, but it was more a term of endearment than anything.

EDIT: Forgot to say that one of the three Angus’ is actually my cousin. Most of my family is pretty intolerant of ‘weird’ names, and nobody bat an eyelid when he was born.

Truthfully, I innately love the name. But all things considered, it’s not a name I would give to my child.
I had to think on it for a while to come to that conclusion. But I would fear teasing as well.A
I can understand why it’s a hard call because it’s such a great name.

It might be a stretch but is [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] any better? You could still get [name_u]Gus[/name_u] as a nn.

In the end I think if you love it, go for it.

I’ve know two [name_m]Angus[/name_m]'s and one [name_u]Gus[/name_u] (short for [name_m]Gustav[/name_m]) none have gotten teased for their names, and I’ve also noticed that guys brush off teasing (when it comes to insignificant things) easier than girls do. If you really worry he can just go by [name_u]Gus[/name_u] all the time.

My boyfriend is an [name_m]Angus[/name_m]. Perfectly normal 18 year old boy haha.

It’s not an unusual name where I like (lots of Hamishes and Alistairs too) and he was never teased for it.

[name_u]Gus[/name_u] seems a bit unnecessary to me but I know lots of people love it.

[name_m]Angus[/name_m] [name_m]Loudan[/name_m] would be a brilliant addition to [name_m]Travis[/name_m]!!

I love [name_m]Angus[/name_m], espescially as you explained how well it suits your family.

I do see why you’re worried about the teasing, but don’t worry about your family and friends! You don’t need to have a perfect name to have a perfect son. (Not that [name_m]Angus[/name_m] isn’t pretty darn amazing.)

By the time your son starts school [name_m]McDonald[/name_m]'s might not even have angus beef, and there might be some new food craze. I wouldn’t make the [name_m]McDonald[/name_m]'s menu the be all and end all.

If he does get teased, you can explain to him how wonderful he is and why you chose his name.

Sure [name_m]Angus[/name_m] has teasing potential, but so do most names. The decision’s up to you, but this is my opinion.

I love [name_m]Angus[/name_m], espescially as you explained how well it suits your family.

I do see why you’re worried about the teasing, but don’t worry about your family and friends! You don’t need to have a perfect name to have a perfect son. (Not that [name_m]Angus[/name_m] isn’t pretty darn amazing.)

By the time your son starts school [name_m]McDonald[/name_m]'s might not even have angus beef, and there might be some new food craze. I wouldn’t make the [name_m]McDonald[/name_m]'s menu the be all and end all.

If he does get teased, you can explain to him how wonderful he is and why you chose his name.

Sure [name_m]Angus[/name_m] has teasing potential, but so do most names. The decision’s up to you, but this is my opinion.

There’s nothing I don’t like about [name_m]Angus[/name_m]. I don’t think of meat, unless someone else mentions it. A guy in my friendship circle when I was in university (all those years ago) was called [name_m]Angus[/name_m] and he never had any troubles with it. Of course, it’s totally dependent of the type of people he’s subjected to. I’d definitely use it, it’s so great with [name_m]Travis[/name_m].

I grew up with an [name_m]Angus[/name_m] and he became one of the most popular dudes at school. So it definitely works, and is not destined to a life of ridicule.

I knew an [name_m]Angus[/name_m], who went just by ‘[name_m]Angus[/name_m]’, he never had any teasing. I wouldn’t worry too much about this; kids will pick on each other for any reason, so if you love the name go for it!

Look. There’s a reason you’ve had this name as your front runner for so long. It’s perfect! I think it’s normal for people to have doubts on their front runner name. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t let your second thoughts keep you from using such a great name!! It’s an absolutely wonderful name and sounds perfect with [name_m]Travis[/name_m]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] love love [name_u]Gus[/name_u], too.

[name_m]Angus[/name_m] is a good strong name and [name_u]Gus[/name_u], to me, is just cool!

Thank you for the wonderful, sincere feedback. Although it was a slightly “mixed bag,” the berries are far more positive about [name_m]Angus[/name_m] “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]” than other sites have been. Your (the berries) opinions weigh more to me, since this is a community of name-lovers who have taken the time to reflect and refine their naming styles. :slight_smile: So I am feeling much encouraged on that front.
I shared the name [name_m]Angus[/name_m] [name_m]Loudon[/name_m] “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]” with my sister in law’s boyfriend. He loved it! He was very enthusiastic and said it’s a great name. He’s in his mid-twenties, and I knew he’d give an honest opinion and still keep our secret for us. He’s also less biased because technically he’s from outside the immediate family. Now I know we will have at least one ally on the topic of baby’s name when we reveal it at his birth. :slight_smile: It made me feel so much better to let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.
I also loved the piece of advice that if other people don’t like it… they will get over it. But, if we don’t use the name we love, we won’t get over it. It will be an ongoing source of regret. I’m going to remind myself of that nugget of wisdom over the next few months! I may even share that logic with those who criticize our choice.
So thank you, wonderful berries. [name_m]Angus[/name_m] [name_m]Loudon[/name_m] it is!

I think it’s important to remember that kids aren’t going to have the same associations with names as their parents. In a class with kids named [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_m]Zayden[/name_m], [name_f]Bayleigh[/name_f], and [name_m]Maximus[/name_m], will [name_m]Angus[/name_m] really stand out as being particularly nerdy or strange? I don’t think so. Kids are a lot more accepting of “different” names than adults. [name_m]Angus[/name_m] and [name_u]Gus[/name_u] aren’t my style, but they’re fine names.

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] that you’re going to use it and also the nugget of advice you were given! I will have to remember that one because it is SO true!

I think you guys changed my mind- I now think I like [name_m]Angus[/name_m] too! not for me- but for someone who loves it! :slight_smile:

I love [name_m]Angus[/name_m] and the shortened “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]”… I think it’s great and you should not worry about it! It is unique enough some people may have questions, but that’s better than picking a boring name, right? :slight_smile:

Sorry, as 'll I think of is beef and [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]

Although it is not my style I think it works with brother [name_m]Travis[/name_m] and the fact it carries so many connections and has history makes it even more special. And my math teacher in high school named her son [name_m]Angus[/name_m] as well! So if you like it then go for it :).

[name_m]Just[/name_m] my quick thought - I immediately think of [name_m]Angus[/name_m] [name_m]Young[/name_m]. And he is a bad ass rocker. He can throw that at the kids later in life :slight_smile:

Anus?? That’s a new one. I personally adore it x