Is Arabella Really So Bad??

Thanks, Smurphy! :slight_smile: I think [name]Eloise[/name] is an amazing name, and I starting loving it last winter when I saw the [name]Eloise[/name] movie (with [name]Julie[/name] Andrews) on TV. It feels so spunky yet elegant to me.

I apologize to the original poster for the brief interruption. And now back to our regular programming…

I really love [name]Arabella[/name]! :slight_smile:

I happen to love it! It was one of our top picks but we went w [name]Isabella[/name] instead bc we love the nn [name]Izzy[/name]. :). Go for it…its classically beautiful. :slight_smile:

I just find it so overdone. Its so frilly and so over the top girly that it actually turns me off of the name. It sounds like its ‘trying to hard’ or something.

I think it’s lovely but quite dramatic, which can indeed come off as over-the-top (but hey, that’s where the nicknames come in handy). I’m trying to think of why this one is a touch frillier to me than many similar names, especially since I love elaborate, feminine names–bear with me since it’s not exactly science. :slight_smile: I see it along the lines of [name]Carlotta[/name], [name]Esmeralda[/name], [name]Seraphina[/name], and [name]Anastasia[/name], if that helps. Logically, it’s definitely appropriate to put it in the [name]Isabella[/name] camp. I think many more parents would have used [name]Isabella[/name] in the past if they had heard it more often but because of its dramatic sound people weren’t bold enough to use it until it rose in popularity and sounded more familiar, then everyone jumped on the bandwagon and made it even more popular. That’s my theory, anyway, which leads me to expect that others won’t have the guts to use [name]Arabella[/name] but will appreciate it on someone else’s child, especially given the popularity of the 'bella names and the rising popularity of [name]Ariana[/name]. People will probably find it to be a bit much in the abstract but love it in person. I would expect it more in the art world than the corporate world but I don’t see it as a real obstacle in the corporate world–it’s feminine but more headstrong and intense than cutesy, imho, which is in its favor in that context. For the record, I’m not a big fan of the corporate world anyway (visions of “Office Space” for most worker bees). In conclusion, it’s a little risky but you can get away with it.

I have already commented on this, but let me just say that I’d definitely use it if I didn’t think my mother would hate it (why my mother hating a name bothers me so much, I don’t know…) - I’m not pregnant or even trying so I have time to let it sink in with her…she may surprise me! I love [name]Arabella[/name]!

I know a really spunky [name]Arabella[/name] [name]Jane[/name] who’s not at all precious, but as adorable as her name.

I just want to say first of all…thank all of you for giving your opinions and help!! This post has gotten much more response than I ever expected, and I’m so glad! Sorry for the rather long silence, but I’m glad to be back!
Again, thank all of you for your help. [name]Arabella[/name] is neither our definite name nor off the list, but you have definitely helped with the thought process (and some outside opinions that are not those of my mother are always welcome)! :wink:
I love this site and the sincerity and willingness to help of all the people here…I hope to be back with more updates soon!!

I absolutely love it!!! I think it is so pretty and elegant, but not over the top. I had thought about it but DH said no.