is Artemis anime-sounding?

I love [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. To me its light and whimsical, feminine but not frilly, intelligent and bright. The type of girl who wears sneakers with her fairy wings, carries around a microscope with her everywhere. And i know some berries think [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is too plain or looks like filler in the middle, but i love the way these flow. [name_f]Jane[/name_f], to me, is all vintage teacups and wildflowers, and the combination of [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] has a quirky, steampunk kind of feel.

But when i searched the name [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] on Facebook, it seems that a lot of anime fans really wish their name was [name_u]Artemis[/name_u].

So…is [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] useable? Are people going to assume I’m a giant anime fan, or will they have an association to some show I’ve never heard of? I don’t mean to offend anime fans; i have friends who watch it, but its not my cup of tea and i find my friends’ interest in it bizarre. (just as they find some of my interests bizarre)

So…what do you think? I really don’t want anyone to hear my kid’s name and automatically think of anime. Is it a problem, or am i being crazy?

I don’t think it sounds anime at all. It’s a darling name, my friend actually named her daughter this :slight_smile:

I’m an anime fan, and I don’t think [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] is “anime-sounding” at all. When I hear/see [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], the first thing that comes to mind is the mythological connection. :slight_smile:

I think of the Greek goddess and the character from ‘It’s Always [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] in [name_u]Philadelphia[/name_u]’. I don’t think it sounds anime. There is a popular young adult’s fiction series called [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]-something, so maybe all the anime fans are teens who like that book series or something?

I also only associate it fron the heavyset caked on makeup clown type womab from always sunny in [name_u]Philadelphia[/name_u]. . She makes the name seem a bit unpleasing to me. Sorry

My first thought is the mythological connection to the name. I’m not familiar with anime though. I do, however, love [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] and [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is very sweet and sassy.

I find it very stodgy, old, and unattractive.

I really, really like it.

I don’t think [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] sounds anime-ish at all. I watch a LOT of anime, and I’ve never seen one with a character named [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]. I think the reason why it’s a popular name with the anime crowd is that interest in anime implies an interest in fantasy, which implies an interest in mythology – hence goddess names being very attractive. [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] in particular is a strong woman in mythology, so I would expect a lot of fantasy-oriented girls to look up to her. I definitely don’t think that naming your daughter [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] would elicit the reaction of “OMG you’re an anime fan aren’t you!” – not like Belldandy, [name_f]Sakura[/name_f], or Chii!

I also want to compliment you on your choice of combo. Normally, I am NOT a fan of [name_f]Jane[/name_f]…I literally think “plain [name_f]Jane[/name_f]” and consider her snoozeworthy. BUT for some reason, being paired with [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] gives [name_f]Jane[/name_f] a whole new sparkle and pluck! I totally get the steampunk vibe, and I think [name_f]Jane[/name_f] grounds [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] in something stable and earthy, making the whole combo quirky, interesting, and attractive. Consider me on board!

I have seen a lot of anime and I continue to watch a lot. :slight_smile: But the only anime I can recall using the name, [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] (dubbed version), is [name_u]Sailor[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]. (However, I think his name in the original/subbed version was, Arutemisu. Similar in sound). Although [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] was a male, white cat, I have thought it was more usable for a darling girl.

I also watch a lot of anime and haven’t come across [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]. There is a manga series based around the Dark [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] books and it has an [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] but she is the actual Greek goddess [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] so there you go. I think of the goddess.

[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is fabulous! Like you said, it sounds steampunkish. I think [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is the right amount of beauty and “normal” to balance [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] since it’s sort of an underused name.

I don’t watch much anime, so I’m probably not the best judge, but no I would never think of [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] and anime being synonymous or connected in any way. First and foremost it’s mythology, and secondly, I think of [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] Fowl (unfortunately-- and I say that only because he’s male, I’m sure the books are great). I love [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] though, so I’m biased. [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is wonderful. Sassy spunky girlish fun. It’s great.

No it’s not anime sounding but I’d hold off on using [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] until the ‘[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] Fowl’ movie comes out.
It’s a known association now but Disney bought the rights to the movie so it hasn’t reahced it’s peak as yet. I’d wait until that movie comes out to see if the general public’s (not only the nameberry community’s) opinion changes on the name.
It’s self referential in that it is a male character with the name and a frequent peeve of his is that his name is that of a Greek goddess.
I used to be a huge [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] Fowl fan when I was a teen and my pre-teen cousins love the books so I’m guessing it will be just as big with future generations

I definitely don’t associate [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] with anime! :slight_smile:
When I hear the name I think of the Greek goddess, so I think that deserves bonus pints :wink:
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] sounds beautiful, strong and endearing! [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] combo :slight_smile:

Thanks, guys! You have set my mind at ease!!

Giinkies, it’ll be at last a few years before I’m ray to have kids (probably longer), so hopefully the [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] Fowl stuff will either be over or won’t have begun quite yet…if i named a kid [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] right in the middle it might seem related to the books/movies, and i liked the books, but i consider the name [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] very separate from that character.

Thanks everyone for your input!

It sounds like a boys’ name to me. I don’t know much at all about anime, so I have no idea about that.

Ameliawillaims I understand.
I just spend alot of time around little children (I’m the youngest of my generation so I’m not quite ready to have kids yet old enough to be an adult). I’m sorry if I seem a little harsh in my reviews but I’m always thinking how will this work on the playground?

I only think of the 3 musketeers, although that’s [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] not [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] :stuck_out_tongue: It doesn’t sound like anime to me!

Oh i didn’t think they sounded harsh! It made sense to consider the films (which i totally hadn’t heard about…the joys of not being able to afford TV lol).

I spend a lot of time with two kids, but no others, so i don’t really know how names would work at the playground…i sort of just think “meh, the 4-year old has a friend with suchandsuch name which is waaay more bizarre than the one I’m considering” which i like because it let’s me allow every name i like, but i dislike it too since it isn’t quite realistic way to judge name reception. So i like all the opinions, even if they aren’t what I’m hoping to hear because it at least gives me a realistic view :slight_smile:

Thank you for understanding :slight_smile: … I’m never quite sure what the line is between giving an honest opinion and being rude
I do love the name [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] though, It is just that for me personally I had never heard the name before the books…
People have different naming tastes so unless it has a very bad association (which [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] doesn’t have) then I think it will be fine!