Is Athena REALLY Usable?

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] has grown on me exponentially as a name and contender for one of our twins. My concern lies in whether she is usable in real life or just forever stuck in mythology and literary/fantasy universes. Also, would it be ridiculous or too much for a little girl to be named after a goddess of such importance?

I think [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is great. It was the first name of one of my English teachers in high school, so I definitely can imagine it on a girl or a woman.

As someone considering [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] for a daughter, you have to temper my response somewhat. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is a further stretch than [name_f]Athena[/name_f], I think (people generally like [name_f]Athena[/name_f] a lot better than [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]). That said, I see absolutely no reason why [name_f]Athena[/name_f] would not be a completely reasonable choice for a girl born in 2017.

I hope you choose it if it speaks to you.

I don’t see why not.

I really love [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. I think it’s perfectly usable.

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] is in the US top 150 so yes, it’s usable.

I adore the name [name_f]Athena[/name_f]! I think it’s perfectly usable. It’s my mother-in-law’s name, meaning I can picture it on a older woman as well as a child. I think it would be adorable on a toddler, and can grow throughout their life. I also know that children get excited and feel special when their name appears in a topic they’re studying, so it’d be great for them to be excited when that happens when they’re studying Greece!:heart:

It is more than usable. [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is getting pretty popular. It was number 142 in the US 2016. Names with similar popularity are [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], [name_f]Lyla[/name_f], [name_f]Trinity[/name_f] and [name_f]Melody[/name_f].

If the goddess thing bothers you then that’s a different issue. That is why I told my husband that I wouldn’t want to use it.

I agree. Perfectly usable in my opinion. I also absolutely love [name_f]Athena[/name_f]!

I think [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is perfectly usuable. It’s easy to say and spell, familiar and has great meaning, history and namesakes. Is it out-there? Certaintly. But out-there is very much in this days and I think that, while she might stand out among [name_f]Neveah[/name_f] and [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u], or among [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], she will be right at home with [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. It’s an usual name that doesn’t come off as too weird

It is usable. I would use [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] or [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], so why not [name_f]Athena[/name_f]? It’s actually getting somewhat popular. I like it.

I know a little [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. She’s the first person I had met with the name. It’s definitely usable.

I think its an interesting one. I’m personally not the biggest fan of mythology names, however this name in particular has a history established away from the mythology - its been used by quite a few actresses, for example - and there is also a [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] of Denmark.

Ultimately its your choice and I think its probably usable.

I understand your hesitation. Most of the time when I play around with combos using [name_f]Athena[/name_f], it ends up in the middle spot because I worry if it’s usable as a FN. I’ve come around to it though. I love [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and the idea of [name_f]Thea[/name_f] for her NN. Good luck!

Totally usable! To me the goddess connection is a positive.

It’s perfectly usable, imo (and beautiful and great!) I have it on my own list as a middle, but I have no trouble to use it up front either.

I really like it and see no issues with it.

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] is a great name and definitely usable.

I know an [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and she gets a lot of positive feedback about her name!

I think it’s super pretty! If little boys can be called [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], then I think it’s totally fair for [name_f]Athena[/name_f] to be on the table :slight_smile:

We live in a world where some people give their children hideous names.

[name_f]Athena[/name_f] is gorgeous and a great role model.

I would love to meet a little (or older) [name_f]Athena[/name_f]!

[name_u]Leslie[/name_u]