Is Ben Inevitable?

Hello again! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I keep going back and forth on [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]. We really love it’s meaning and how it sounds with [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (we didn’t think we would want two B’s but here we are) but nickname [name_m]Ben[/name_m] seems pretty inevitable. Which clearly we couldn’t use when we already have a [name_u]Ren[/name_u].

We like the nickname [name_m]Ned[/name_m], but we’re just concerned that people will call him [name_m]Ben[/name_m] regardless. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think that’s a possibility or if we’re firm that his nickname is [name_m]Ned[/name_m] or full name will people accept it?

1 Like

I think at school and when he’s older, it’s inevitable. However, within your circle of family and friends, [name_m]Ned[/name_m] will probably stick.

10 Likes

If you stand your ground, no. I personally wouldn’t shorten it to [name_m]Ben[/name_m] automatically, but I guess I can see other people doing that.

4 Likes

I think people will shorten to [name_m]Ben[/name_m], but it would be an easy correction, especially since it’s not [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] ([name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] nn [name_m]Ben[/name_m] seems very natural and automatic, but [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ben[/name_m] not that much)

5 Likes

Maybe people would call him that on occasion, but those that know him would call him [name_m]Ned[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] SO is [name_u]James[/name_u] and sometimes gets called [name_m]Jim[/name_m] even though he’s never gone by that in his life!

I love the nickname [name_m]Ned[/name_m] for [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] - I never thought of that!

1 Like

I think it could be very inevitable, but you could always enforce the idea of “we’re calling him [name_m]Ned[/name_m]” and people might catch on eventually. But if he just goes by [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], people might shorten it to [name_m]Ben[/name_m] when he’s older

3 Likes

I think if he has an alternative nickname like you plan to use [name_m]Ned[/name_m], people will use that and be much less likely to go for [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. If he is supposed to be only [name_m]Benedict[/name_m], shortening to [name_m]Ben[/name_m] seems like it would be a lot more common. Side note: if you have a [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], I would just be aware that [name_m]Benedick[/name_m] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] are the central couple in the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] play Much [name_f]Ado[/name_f] About Nothing, so it’s definitely a cultural reference you might want to be aware of. They’re lovely names, though, and they do sound nice together. (So nice that [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] used it!)

4 Likes

It probably is inevitable unless you correct them?

1 Like

I think it is absolutely inevitable, not necessarily a bad thing but definitely yes people will call him [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. I also thought of Much [name_f]Ado[/name_f] About nothing with [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] but of course his peers wont.

2 Likes

Oh! I completely forgot about [name_m]Benedick[/name_m] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. Never mind then, we’re scratching [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] as a first name. Thanks to everyone for the input but crisis is averted!

8 Likes

As you already have a [name_u]Ren[/name_u], close family and friends probably won’t nn him [name_m]Ben[/name_m], but people outside that group - school friends etc -might do. If he introduces himself as [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] or [name_m]Ned[/name_m], you might be able to avoid it

1 Like

Typically at school teachers say their full name and ask if they go by a nickname, so I don’t see that being an issue and anyone you meet you just say his name is [name_m]Ned[/name_m] or [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] but goes by [name_m]Ned[/name_m]. I love this name btw!

This is random, but I think the names: [name_m]Evander[/name_m], [name_m]Leander[/name_m], or [name_u]Everett[/name_u] would go nicely

Ahh, it’s a shame when you have to give up on a favourite! But I do think [name_m]Ben[/name_m] is fairly inevitable, at least from some people. Maybe you dodged a bullet if you really didn’t want that.

[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] sprang to mind? [name_m]Clarence[/name_m], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] sound beautiful together – warm and soft and classic but rare. Plus, you’d have ABC! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m happy to hear that the crisis is averted… so I guess [name_m]Ben[/name_m] isn’t inevitable :wink: if you are liking the idea of “[name_m]Ned[/name_m]” there are other names that lead to that nickname that you could consider. I will say where there’s a [name_u]Ren[/name_u] involved I keep feeling no matter the name Stimpy keeps coming to mind.

We do like [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] but the lack of nicknames make it hard for us to seriously consider. We’ve seen [name_m]Abe[/name_m], [name_u]Bo[/name_u] and [name_m]Ames[/name_m] thrown around but we’re just not crazy about any of them. Right now our list for him is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u], [name_m]Dominic[/name_m], [name_m]Jeremy[/name_m], or [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]. So we do have a few others to consider as well!

2 Likes

Ooh I like all of those! [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] also makes me think of [name_m]Isidore[/name_m], which I love. Not sure about nicknames though… [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] is quite cool for a boy I think but possibly an acquired taste!

1 Like

I’m going to tell you the exact words that I tell everyone else in this situation:

YOU can call you child whatever you want. But you can’t control others.

So in other words, yes. :confused:

We got the suggestion of [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] with nickname [name_u]Sid[/name_u] actually and while I quite like it, my husband thinks it’s too weird. Maybe he’ll come around though!

2 Likes

I think it may be inevitable that he gets called it but it’s not inevitable to be a nickname, if that makes sense?
It may be inevitable for a teacher to call out “[name_m]Ben[/name_m]” when he raises his hand, but then he can just said “it’s [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]”
I get “[name_f]Maddie[/name_f]” frequently but, even if I do response to it, it’s not my name or my nickname. I’ll turn my head to it, I just won’t introduce myself with it.
I think it’s even less inevitable if he has the backup of “not [name_m]Ben[/name_m], [name_m]Ned[/name_m].” But no matter what you (and [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]!) don’t have to use any name you don’t want to use.