Is Bernard ready for a revival?

[name]Love[/name] the name [name]Bernard[/name] with nn [name]Bernie[/name]. What do you think of the name? Is it ready to come back?

Hmm. I have two visions of [name]Bernard[/name]. One is a strong but cuddly [name]St[/name]. [name]Bernard[/name] dog. The other is a noble king riding off to war. They make an odd mixture, but I have been thinking about this name a lot recently and think it is ready for a revival. It’s manly and even handsome if you look really close. [name]Bernie[/name] is an antique nickname that could sound cute on a little boy. I think [name]Bernard[/name] sounds better with a softer middle name:

[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Benedict[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Colin[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Dmitri[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Francis[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Jamison[/name]
[name]Bernard[/name] [name]Lewis[/name]

Good luck!

[name]Just[/name] curious…how does everyone pronounce this?

[name]BERN[/name]-erd
or ber-NARD,
or some other way?

ber-NARD

I say BER-nerd

My favorite and wonderful grandpa was named [name]Bernard[/name] (BER-nerd). His middle name was [name]Marmaduke[/name].
I love the name [name]Bernard[/name] because it can be pronounced two different ways. You can tailor it to work with your last name. Ber-NARD is a great middle name. I love middle names that have an accent on the second syllable. They propel the first name toward the last name in a hurry.
[name]Love[/name] the nn [name]Bernie[/name]. So cute!

ber-NARD.

And I love this name because I have such a wonderful connection with it – During my teenage years I basically adopted an elderly man at my church who I knew only as “Mr. [name]Tuck[/name]” or “[name]Red[/name]”. Well, I went off to college (and still kept in touch with “Daddy”, as I loved to call him), but during [name]Christmas[/name] break last year I discovered that he had been in a minor car accident so I went to the hospital to visit him. When I got to the reception desk, I asked the lady for [name]Red[/name] [name]Tuck[/name]'s room number. She gave me a puzzled look and said “Ma’am, we don’t have any [name]Redmund[/name] Tucks here.” … After a couple of minutes of looking through the records (we’re talking small town hospital with no computer), she informed me that the only [name]Tuck[/name] registered was a Mr. [name]Bernard[/name] [name]Vincent[/name] [name]Tuck[/name] who was staying on the second floor. As soon as she said the name “[name]Bernard[/name]” I instantly fell in love, and now I plan on naming my future son (should I ever have one) [name]Bernard[/name] in honor of my adopted Daddy. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it’s ready but I sure love it. It’s a great name and [name]Bernie[/name] is too cute.

I’ve only ever heard ber-NARD…where is it pronounced [name]BERN[/name]-erd, if you don’t mind sharing?

I’m neutral on the name.

[name]Bernie[/name] Madoff aside, (and that’s a big “aside”) I just don’t think the name is ready for revival. I pretty much agree with what Nameberry says on the name.

I prefer [name]Arthur[/name] nn [name]Arty[/name] or [name]Howard[/name] nn [name]Howie[/name].

It is pronounced [name]BERN[/name]-erd in the UK. I’ve always thought of ber-NARD to be the european pronounciation of the name/ or anyone trying to make it sound posh! (like in Keeping Up Appearances - Bucket pn Boo-kay!).

Interesting…what about [name]Gerard[/name]? I’ve only ever heard je-RARD, but does anyone say it differently?

I’d say [name]JEH[/name]-rd… It must be a UK thing!

I’d say [name]JEH[/name]-rd… It must be a UK thing![/quote]

Ditto, I’ve heard it [name]JAIR[/name]-erd (or something like that) in the UK usually.