Is Betty a name or just a nickname?

See the results of this poll: Betty - Name or Nickname?

Respondents: 31 (This poll is closed)

• It can stand on it’s own: 15 (48%)
  • It’s really just a nickname: 16 (52%)

I think [name]Betty[/name] could stand on its own, but I [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] it as a nickname for [name]Elizabeth[/name] ([name]Elisabeth[/name])…just my opinion…

I think it can work on its own, but it takes a certain type of person. For that reason, I’d choose to put [name]Elisabeth[/name]/[name]Elizabeth[/name] on the birth certificate and use [name]Betty[/name] as a nn – that way there are options.

When I travelled to San [name]Francisco[/name] last year, I began chatting with a woman and she said her name was [name]Betty[/name] [name]Jean[/name]. The first thing out of my mouth was “Oh, is your real name [name]Elizabeth[/name]?” Her reply was “No, I’m just [name]Betty[/name] [name]Jean[/name]!” I tell this story as an example on the reaction your daughter will get most of her life if you choose just [name]Betty[/name]. Sorry but it will always and forever be a nickname in my mind.

Thanks! I’m not really sure if I love the name-- I just heard it while I was watching TV and though, “aww [name]Betty[/name] is cute.” Then I realized it is usually just a nn. Unfortunately, I can’t use [name]Elizabeth[/name] since it’s my little sister’s name. I might not mind honoring my sister that way, but she’s only 10 and I feel weird about that. She goes by [name]Lizzie[/name] and maybe [name]Liz[/name] when she’s older. I could never see her switching to [name]Betty[/name], [name]Betsy[/name], [name]Bess[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], etc.

If I met a young [name]Betty[/name], I would think, well at least she has the lovely, strong name of [name]Elizabeth[/name] to fall back on. But without even that, I personally can’t find too much to love about [name]Betty[/name]. Sorry!

If you really decided you like [name]Betty[/name], you could use another name to get the nn like…

[name]Marybeth[/name]
Annabeth
[name]Bettina[/name]
[name]Bernadette[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Babette[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name] (kind of a stretch…)

I know a 60 yr old [name]Bette[/name]. [name]Just[/name] [name]Bette[/name]. I think it was a common stand alone name of that generation. However, maybe I just think that bc I have known a few. It would be cute on a little girl.

I love it, but do think it’s much better as a nickname. The other day I saw someone mention [name]Beatrix[/name]/[name]Beatrice[/name] nicknamed [name]Betty[/name]. I think that’d work great for your family. Or what about [name]Beth[/name] nn [name]Betty[/name] instead of [name]Elizabeth[/name]?

I love [name]Betty[/name] and think it could stand alone, but it would take a certain personality. I have a daughter named Annabeth nn [name]Beth[/name] but I would have used [name]Beth[/name] in a split second if I could have.
Think about it, [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], and [name]Elsie[/name] are now considered stand alone names, it is just a matter of time until [name]Betty[/name], [name]Beth[/name] and [name]Betsy[/name] are as well.

I know a twenty-something [name]Betty[/name]. Interesting story behind her name…she chose it for herself when she moved to the States from [name]China[/name] at age 14. So it really is just [name]Betty[/name], no [name]Elizabeth[/name] and no middle name, and it’s never seemed weird to me at all. I say go for it :slight_smile: