Is Calvin totally unworkable with my last name?

Ok, tell me the truth. Is “[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u]” horrible because it is so close to [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Klein? [name_f]Do[/name_f] I need to put [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] to rest? Or am I letting a little thing keep me from using a name I love? Part of me feels like the right middle ([name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Leopold[/name_m]) could “fix” it, but then again middle names are not often heard…

I don’t think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] sounds that close to [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Klein. My only pause was that vin and [name_u]Kim[/name_u] kind of sound the same. But I don’t think it’s bad. I say go for it if you love it. [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is a great name!

I’m not a fan of alliteration, or of the meaning of [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] (from the Fr. Chauvin, meaning bald). The religious implications are an even bigger turnoff, but I do love [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Hobbes[/name_m]. Perhaps [name_m]Charles[/name_m], [name_u]Devon[/name_u], [name_m]Nevin[/name_m], [name_m]Melvin[/name_m] (geekchic!), [name_m]Llewelyn[/name_m]?

I love [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]! I don’t think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] sounds like [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Klein at all. The vowel sounds are different, and the ending is different.

I really like it! I am actually about to name my boy [name_m]Calvin[/name_m].

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is a great name. [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] isn’t horrible. If you called him ‘[name_u]Cal[/name_u]’ though… [name_u]Cal[/name_u] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] is a bit awkward.

I like it. Didn’t even think of [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Klein when I read it. I also like alliteration.

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] doesn’t sound like [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Klein at all. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because they start with the same letter doesn’t mean they’re similar.

not because of sounding like Klein, but I still am not a fan of the double c/k worth [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u].

just to similar.

I like the comic, but can’t get over the meaning of [name_m]Calvin[/name_m].

I don’t get why people think the meaning of [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is so terrible. [name_m]Bald[/name_m] isn’t the worst thing in the world. Name meanings are usually assigned from pretty silly origins too. I doubt anyone has ever named their bald child [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. It’s not a word like [name_f]Faith[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] is fine.

I don’t think the two sound familiar but I don’t like the way [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_u]Kim[/name_u] sound together. Try a different initial/letter.

I think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] sounds great and I wouldn’t worry too much about it being shortened to [name_u]Cal[/name_u]. My son’s name is [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and knowing him now as a 2 1/2 year old, no other name would suit him the way [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] does!

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is great, but I did think of underwear right away for some reason with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u]. So I think I was thinking of [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Klein. :-/ I do work right near a big [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Klein billboard though so I guess it is getting to me subliminally.

What are your other choices? [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] is fine, really. But maybe if it were between that and something else I’d go with the something else.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], or [name_m]Cassius[/name_m]?

I don’t think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] sounds bad. It’s full of alliteration and rhyming, but I actually like it!

I think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u] sounds great, and it’s not too close to [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Klein. It actually really works for me as two names that go great together.

Note: I’m a big [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Hobbes[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Coolidge[/name_m], and [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] fan, so I have a strong bias :slight_smile:

I didn’t think of [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Klein at all. I also quite like the alliteration; it has a slight superhero alter ego vibe a la [name_m]Clark[/name_m] [name_m]Kent[/name_m].

Oh yay! I’m excited that most people like [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u]! I do agree with the poster who said “[name_u]Cal[/name_u] [name_u]Kim[/name_u]” sounds weird, but we would want him to go by the full [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. (I’m sure we’d call him “[name_u]Cal[/name_u]” as a nickname, because it’s so gosh darn cute, but we would introduce him/refer to him as [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. For a long time, I was rather hung up on the meaning, but I think I’m over it. I just love the name! Other than [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] Klein – which I’m not so worried about anymore thanks to you all! – I enjoy the other associations with the name.

What do you think about these middles?

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_u]Kim[/name_u]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]August/name_u [name_u]Kim[/name_u]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] [name_u]Kim[/name_u]

Big brother is [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]. I love the idea of [name_m]Gabe[/name_m] and [name_u]Cal[/name_u] together. We also like [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]…which is better for [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]'s brother, [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] or [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]?

I think I like [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] best of your mn choices. [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] are all nice too.

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] vs [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] though is tough. I adore [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], but I think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] would be the more unique choice right now.