Is Casimir usable in the US?

[name]Casimir[/name] has always been a guilty pleasure name for me. I love the historical significance of the name (it was the name of both a beloved Polish king and of a saint), and I adore the meaning, “announcing peace”.

So, be honest. Is there any way [name]Casimir[/name] is usable in the U.S., and what nicknames do can you think of that would work? The only two I’ve come up with are [name]Cash[/name], which is only ok, and [name]Chuck[/name], which is a major stretch but I love it. Thoughts?

Also, how does it fit with [name]Rosalind[/name] and [name]Lucinda[/name], my current favorites for girls?

Bump Bump Bump.

I think [name]Casimir[/name] would be plenty usable in the U.S., due to its similarity to [name]Vladimir[/name] which most Americans do know how to pronounce. [name]Even[/name] though it isn’t personally my style, I think it’s a fine, strong name.

Besides [name]Cash[/name] (tbh, I have NO idea where you got [name]Chuck[/name], haha), all I can think of is [name]Cass[/name] (maybe a little androgynous, but not bad).

It’s completely usable. Outside of Chicago and a few other Polish enclaves around the country where [name]Casimir[/name] Pulaski [name]Day[/name] is celebrated, most people probably won’t know how to pronounce it, nor will they know to whom it refers. But it’s a great Polish name, and it goes really well with [name]Rosalind[/name] and [name]Lucinda[/name].

If we have the Italian [name]Luca[/name] and the Spanish [name]Rafael[/name], I don’t see why the Polish [name]Casimir[/name] can’t work in the US as well. [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name] is multicultural so it’s definitely usable. For a nn, maybe the cool sounding Miro? [name]Casimir[/name] is a bit more exotic than [name]Rosalind[/name] and [name]Lucinda[/name] but I think it can work.

It’s possibly helped by the [name]Sufjan[/name] Stevens song ‘[name]Casimir[/name] Pulaski [name]Day[/name]’ - if you’ve not heard it I’d give it a listen because its lovely and with that reference its probably a lot more accessible

@mischa- I love, love, love Miro! You are my new hero! That just makes me love the name all that much more!!

Yeah, I think Miro is a pretty cool nn too! Can’t get better than a king, a saint and an artist!:slight_smile:

I think it’s very, very usable. Miro is a great nickname and so is [name]Cash[/name]. Pronunciation is fairly self evident so I don’t see that that would be a problem. I think it goes nicely with [name]Lucinda[/name] and [name]Rosalind[/name] too.

I’m so glad it’s recieving positive feedback! Now just to convince the hubby! What would you suggest for middle names?