Is clover a pet's name?

I like it but I’m a few days from my due date and not thinking clearly. Is it a name I might regret or my child might hate?

I personally think [name]Clover[/name] is a darling “people” name! I looked it up on Namberry, and [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] describe it as a “charming, perky choice.”

If you’re too uncertain, some other names that I think share [name]Clover[/name]'s comfy/homey feel include:

[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Mae[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] (nn [name]Maisie[/name] or [name]Daisy[/name])
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name])
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]/[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Oh no, I love [name]Clover[/name]! I think it is the most precious alternative to all the other flower names out there :slight_smile:

Ok, I think [name]Clover[/name] is really adorable. I mean, seriously, sooo flippin’ cute! However, honestly, I don’t think it’s a great name for a real person. I want to think it’s a good name for a person, but I just don’t. Before I had a baby, I thought I loved crazy names. But then I realized that I just couldn’t name my son [name]James[/name] [name]Cobalt[/name] [name]Cloud[/name], no matter how cool I thought it was.

I can picture an adorable little 4 year old with pigtails and yellow patent leather [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Janes[/name] named [name]Clover[/name]. And if I met that little girl, I would think she had an amazing name. I can even picture a teenager named [name]Clover[/name]. But, (and I’m trying really hard here) I just can’t picture an adult named [name]Clover[/name]. An artist, maybe… a doctor, though? A lawyer, a Supreme [name]Court[/name] judge?

I’m sorry to be negative, but I thought I’d be honest now, before you have the baby. At any rate though, you need to pick the name you love the most! That will mean more to your daughter than anything!

I also had some really cute but unusual names picked out, but the more I think about it, you really should imagine working with a person with the name you are liking, and see how that fits in the adult, everyday world. I’ve had to give up quite a few names I love, but there really is a science behind our perceptions of people and their names. Make life easy for your kid who will one day no longer be a kid!

I like [name]Clover[/name] for its whimsy and charm, and by all means, use the name you love. However, if you’re having doubts, what about using it in the middle position?

Your daughter can be [name]Clover[/name] whilst growing up, but if she chooses to use her second name in the adult world, the choice is hers.

I’ve known so many people that go by their middle names, and do so without any issue or confusion.

If you love [name]Clover[/name], and you wish to bestow your daughter with that name, then go for it!

I love [name]Clover[/name]! it’s adorable…

I really love [name]Clover[/name], and think it is totally a person name! I think it is really, really darling.

I used to have a rabbit called [name]Clover[/name], so it’s somewhat of a pet name for me.

Though I read the blog of a lady who named one of her twins [name]Clover[/name], which helps makes it more of a people name. It’s a name that ‘grows on you’ the more you hear it.

[name]IMO[/name], it’s cute for a kid, not so great for an adult.

For some reason, my “is this an OK grown up name” test is to picture getting a business e-mail from someone. When their name pops up in my inbox, does it make me think, “WTH kind of name is that?!!?”

[name]Clover[/name] is my pet’s name!!

I just saw one of the parenting magazines with an adorable baby on the front named [name]Clover[/name]. I thought it was a great name!

I’m pretty stuffy when it comes to names, but I really love [name]Clover[/name]. I agree with [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] - it’s perky, charming, and whimsical. I’m tempted to use this, though I’m not sure what my family would think! lol

[name]Do[/name] you all think of this as a “hippie” name or more like a feminine “flower” name?

I think it is an adorable name and can be used as a person’s name if you love it. I know I would think it was adorable if I meet a little clover.

That being said, I also think it is a popular pet name (i almost named my cat [name]Clover[/name]) but there are a lot of “common” people names that are used for pets. I know dogs named [name]Abby[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Cooper[/name], [name]Zoe[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Piper[/name], etc. I agree with one of the other posters…maybe try it as a middle name if you are unsure. That way you can always use the first name down the road.

LOL, that’s awesome! I’m going to do that from now on!

adore the name for little girl

I think [name]Clover[/name] is so cute and cool for a girl/woman! And its a cute cats name too!

Very cute name, I also feel that it doesn’t translate well to adulthood. However, maybe she could use [name]Chloe[/name] as a nn and use that into adulthood??

In a fantasy (juvenile fiction) book series called Leven Thumps, there is a [name]Clover[/name] who is a sycophant (a type of pet, much like a witch’s familiar). That is what I think of. I had a friend who went by [name]Clover[/name] during high school, but I thought it was definitely weird, and especially because it had absolutely nothing to do with her real name. I vote that [name]Clover[/name] IS a pet name, and I would only use it as such. JMO, since you asked.

I REALLY like [name]Clover[/name]. Use it!
My thought on this matter though is that if you’re bestowing a name on a person that is excellent for child, and cool on a teenager but iffy on an adult, make sure you pair it with a strong middle name. You know, for backup.
So, [name]Clover[/name] [name]Sunshine[/name], not so great, but [name]Clover[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Clover[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name], or [name]Clover[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] do the trick.