Is Cyrus too "Miley"?

[name]Hi[/name] all,
This is my first post, although I have lurked here for ages. We are 95% sure that we are going to name our baby [name]Truman[/name] (if the early u/s was correct and he is a boy!). However, I would like a few back-up names in case he does not look like a [name]Truman[/name]. Of of my favs is [name]Cyrus[/name], nn [name]Cy[/name], but my DH thinks this is too reminiscent of [name]Miley[/name] and [name]Billy[/name] [name]Ray[/name]. What do you all think? [name]Do[/name] you automatically picture a baby with a bad mullet?

Also, any other suggestions in the same vein as [name]Truman[/name] and [name]Cyrus[/name]? I also like [name]Arlo[/name], [name]Malcolm[/name], [name]Otto[/name], [name]Milo[/name], and [name]Atticus[/name], but these have all been vetoed by DH (although he may be coming around on [name]Malcolm[/name]).

Thanks!

Nah, [name]Cyrus[/name] is pretty separate for me.

Other names in the vein:

[name]Forrest[/name]
[name]Foster[/name]
[name]Freeman[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Marvin[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Magnus[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Cypress[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name]

I love [name]Cyrus[/name], it’s one of my favourites. I’m slightly worried about the [name]Miley[/name] thing, but I think it should be fine. I’m in the U.K. though…

I also really like [name]Truman[/name] and [name]Otto[/name]. Other names I find similar to [name]Cyrus[/name] are [name]Clyde[/name], [name]Bruce[/name], [name]Cole[/name], [name]Hudson[/name], [name]Idris[/name], [name]Jesse[/name].

I’m American and I don’t associate [name]Cyrus[/name] and [name]Miley[/name] or [name]Billy[/name] [name]Ray[/name] at all. If I associate any name with it, it’d be [name]Silas[/name] because they sound so similar and have a similar vibe to me.

I had an awesome professor with the fn [name]Cyrus[/name] so I have a great association and [name]Miley[/name] is the last thing I would think of. I say use it!

I have a nephew named [name]Cyrus[/name]. He’s almost 3 months old. I can’t speak for everyone his family has met, but from what I know, the “Oh like [name]Miley[/name]” has come up once or twice, but it’s generally not in a negative way-- more in a way like people ask me “Oh, [name]Alice[/name], like [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland” about my dd’s name. People just like to make associations with names.

I guess [name]Cyrus[/name] is a little more connected to [name]Miley[/name] and [name]Billy[/name] [name]Ray[/name] than other names, but people don’t seem to avoid or worry about [name]Hannah[/name] or [name]Montana[/name] which is also tied to the [name]Cyrus[/name] family. [name]Every[/name] name has something. We love having a [name]Cyrus[/name] “[name]Cy[/name]” in our family.

No, I don’t think so.

I agree with the others, [name]Cyrus[/name] is very usable! I more think of [name]King[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name] from the Bible than the modern-day Cyruses. :slight_smile: It is very cool and kingly to me, for obvious reasons. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure about suggestions similar in style, but maybe [name]Everett[/name], [name]Bryant[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], Truett, [name]Josiah[/name], [name]Jameson[/name], or [name]Silas[/name] would fit the bill?

Good luck!

[name]Cyrus[/name] is definitely usable and not too tied to [name]Miley[/name] and [name]Billy[/name] [name]Ray[/name]. :slight_smile:

Honestly, my husband proposed this name for our unborn babe a few days ago and I the first thing I said was “As in [name]Miley[/name] and [name]Billy[/name] [name]Ray[/name]?” So, yes, I would say for me it has that association.

I adore [name]Cyrus[/name]! I also have [name]Malcolm[/name] and [name]Atticus[/name] on my list (atticus was vetoed)…

Here are some other names that I have on my list… you might like one!

[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Kellen[/name]/[name]Stellen[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Nico[/name]
[name]Blaise[/name]/[name]Blaine[/name]

No, I wouldn’t even have thought of [name]Miley[/name] until you brought it up. I think of a guy I used to know named [name]Cyrus[/name]- he was friendly but pretty quiet, and nothing like [name]Miley[/name] or any kind of celebrity.