Is Eden too weird?

I’ve always loved the name [name]Eden[/name] and found out a couple weeks ago that we are having another girl. After narrowing down our list we’re definately leaning toward this name which I’ve always thought of as being very old and biblical…and also very pretty. What appeals to me is that it’s not a “made up” name…it’s just an old, pretty name that you don’t hear of all the time. (I’m totally weird about names being somewhat traditional yet my child not being one of 4 in their class. I have [name]Stuart[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Gretchen[/name] and now [name]Eden[/name]?)
My dilema is, most of the time when someone asks me what we’re going to name her and I say, “We’re thinking of [name]Eden[/name].” they look at me like I’m nuts or just totally out there.
Is this name too unusual? I didn’t think it was and now I’m starting to wonder.

I think it is beautiful, not weird at all. I agree - it’s not a made up name and has depth and meaning.

I’m dealing with the same funny looks from people when I tell them of baby girl due in [name]April[/name]. We love [name]Ginger[/name] and people look at me nuts too when they ask her name. But it was the first name we agreed on and it is not made up and not widely used. I’ve learned to accept the looks and I’ve noticed that I too make funny looks at people when I hear names that I do not care for. There is no name that EVERYONE will like. I know it’s hard because you want people to “oooh” and “ahhh” over your name. it’s just not going to happen. I tried telling people a different name than [name]Ginger[/name] that is more “safe” to get a different reaction and I felt like I was betraying my baby girl [name]Ginger[/name]. funny.

One a side note…I love [name]Eden[/name]. Funny, when I was a pre-teen and watched The [name]Young[/name] and the Restless, there was a beautiful character named [name]Eden[/name] and I loved the name. That was at the height of my name-obsessing and I know it was on all my lists. haha! when is your girl due?

What!!! [name]Eden[/name] is not weird AT ALL! It is a beautiful, and very underused name. Those people who look at you funny probably like names like [name]Michelle[/name], or [name]Amanda[/name]. So pooh on them!

Having read Nameberry posts for a while now, I can genuinely say that I like the name [name]Eden[/name]. However, I have to admit that if you had asked me about the name [name]Eden[/name] a few months ago, it would have struck me as a ‘hippy’ name, similar to [name]Rainbow[/name] or [name]Summer[/name]. (I like the name [name]Summer[/name] now, too, but I’m still not a fan of [name]Rainbow[/name].) Anyway, I think a lot of people will not realize that [name]Eden[/name] is a name with a deep history and will see it as a modern ‘word-type’ name. That shouldn’t put you off the name, but I do think it’s helpful to know what perceptions of the relatively uninformed (when it comes to names) might be.

Definitely not weird at all. I [name]LOVE[/name] that name. Go for it! It sounds beautiful with the rest of your names too. Perfect.

I think [name]Eden[/name] is a beautiful name, and not at all weird. You could also use it for a middle name.

I think [name]Eden[/name] is beautiful, and thought seriously about naming our second girl [name]Eden[/name]. My hubby loved [name]Audrey[/name] and that’s what we picked, but I even tried to put [name]Eden[/name] with [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Audrey[/name] [name]Eden[/name], but the flow didn’t work for me. Anyway, it is beautiful and timeless.

I have a friend whose daughter is named [name]Eden[/name] and it never struck me as odd. In fact, I think it’s growing in popularity. Her [name]Eden[/name] often goes by [name]Edie[/name] (“Ee-dee”) which is really cute too.

I love it…I am not one of those who find names “weird” if they are not in the top 100.
I think your daughter would grow up loving her name. It is very pretty and uncommon so an excellent name. [name]Edie[/name] is such an adorable nn too…

I love [name]Eden[/name]. I think it is beautiful! we even considered it, but I am from the deep south, and I do not like the way my family pronounces it, other than that- Gorgeous, not common pick!!

I thought it was weird when we met a little girl named [name]Eden[/name]. But, after getting to know her (she is 2), she makes the name adorable and now I like it.

Sometimes people are not accepting at first, but come to love a name.

[name]Hi[/name]! [name]Add[/name] me to the list of people who don’t find [name]Eden[/name] weird at all. It’s #232 now, so I’m surprised to hear that the people to whom you’ve mentioned the name find it unusual.

I think it’s very pretty…

Good luck!

I think [name]Eden[/name] is beautiful, and very much under used. Who cares if people give you looks anyways? At least 5 people will always dislike a name you like, as long as you love it thats all that matters:) And i happen to think it flows nicely with your other childrens names

I like eden.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of [name]Eden[/name] being “wierd”. I think it is beautiful, classic, strong and simple. And one of my daughters has it as a middle name :). Good [name]Luck[/name].

I think it is beautiful, not weird at all. I agree - it’s not a made up name and has depth and meaning.

I’m dealing with the same funny looks from people when I tell them of baby girl due in [name]April[/name]. We love [name]Ginger[/name] and people look at me nuts too when they ask her name. But it was the first name we agreed on and it is not made up and not widely used. I’ve learned to accept the looks and I’ve noticed that I too make funny looks at people when I hear names that I do not care for. There is no name that EVERYONE will like. I know it’s hard because you want people to “oooh” and “ahhh” over your name. it’s just not going to happen. I tried telling people a different name than [name]Ginger[/name] that is more “safe” to get a different reaction and I felt like I was betraying my baby girl [name]Ginger[/name]. funny.

One a side note…I love [name]Eden[/name]. Funny, when I was a pre-teen and watched The [name]Young[/name] and the Restless, there was a beautiful character named [name]Eden[/name] and I loved the name. That was at the height of my name-obsessing and I know it was on all my lists. haha! when is your girl due?[/quote]
I think [name]Ginger[/name] is cute. My husband had brought up that name as well.

Thanks for all the encouraging words. I think we’re going to go for it. [name]Just[/name] needed a little reassurance. Good luck to all of you!