Is Ellis still a boy name?

Do you know anyone named [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]? And are they a boy or a girl? I’d like to use it as a potential boy sibling (we want to be surprised) for [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] and [name_f]Leona[/name_f], but I’m nervous that it’s becoming more of a girl name. I’ve never really been into unisex names. Our middle name (a family name) will be [name_u]George[/name_u].

It still seems perfectly suitable for a boy to me!

1 Like

I have only ever met one [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], a little boy about three. I absolutely loved seeing it irl. I’ve never known a girl [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], but I have known a little girl called [name_u]Ellison[/name_u], which is understandable as an alternative to uber popular [name_u]Allison[/name_u].

I adore [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], and I definitely think it is still 100% boy. [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_u]George[/name_u] is such a handsome combo! And I think [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] works perfectly with [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] and [name_f]Leona[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] I know is a girl, but I think it could definitely work on a boy too. I think it is pretty unisex.

1 Like

I think it is perfectly unisex

2 Likes

I’ve never met anyone named [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], boy or girl. I personally think it could work well on either and it definitely fits with your older kids.

1 Like

If you look at the statistics [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is very VERY much a boy name in U.K and U.S.
hardly any girls with this name in comparison
It’s one of my favourite boy names

1 Like

I’ve come across one pupil with the name here in the UK and he was a boy. Hadn’t considered it would be used for girls at all, honestly.

I know a boy and a girl [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]. It’s perfectly unisex to me, so I don’t think you’ll need to worry about it being to girly. And [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_u]George[/name_u] is lovely!

1 Like

Thanks! I love it as well! It’s familiar and old-fashioned and I don’t think it’s trendy, although several of my friends have young ones with 2-syllable e-names. [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f].

1 Like

Thanks! We definitely love the combo. Honestly, we strongly considered [name_u]George[/name_u] as a first name for a long time, but as teachers we just couldn’t do it. Too many [name_m]Georges[/name_m] in class.

1 Like

I’ve never met an [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] but would love too! It definitely leans more boy for me although I know it can be unisex

1 Like

Yes I think it’s a boy name

1 Like

I’ve never met a female [name_u]Ellis[/name_u], although I’ve met a female [name_u]Ellison[/name_u] (I still prefer that for a boy though). Off the top of my head I can think of 3 males called [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] (and 1 [name_u]Elis[/name_u]), although I’m sure if I really think about it I know more.

1 Like

I think [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] works for any gender! I personally prefer it on a boy myself, it’s so soft and sweet, and I’ve only heard the name used in real life on boys. the only girl [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] I know, is from the tv show Grey’s Anatomy!

Also, I think [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] goes lovely with M & A!!

(I just wanted to point it out, two very important characters from Grey’s Anatomy are named [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_u]George[/name_u]. I just wanted to let you know in case you weren’t aware!)

1 Like

Funnily enough, I overheard a little boy called [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] while out today. The only [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]’s i have ever come across have been boys

I think [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is already or soon to be a girls only name.

Like:
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
[name_u]Lesley[/name_u]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_u]Harlow[/name_u]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u]
[name_u]Addison[/name_u]
Etc

2 Likes

LOL I had NO idea! I’ve never seen the show, and I know it’s hugely popular. Thanks for pointing this out. I’ll have to think about whether or not I care.

Such a bummer. I do see it going in that direction. Once names go feminine, they get harder to wear on boys.

1 Like

I don’t see [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is feminine at all. It still ranks way higher as a boys name.

1 Like