Is Elsa a pet name or a person name?

I’ve seen a few “[name]Elsa[/name] is a cow” or “[name]Elsa[/name] is a lion” comments on other sites…[name]Do[/name] you immediately think of an animal when you hear the name [name]Elsa[/name]?

I only recently learned about the lion story. Plus, I always thought the cow was called “[name]Elsie[/name]” not [name]Elsa[/name].

What do you think?

Thank you!

I don’t think cow when I hear [name]Elsa[/name], but I personally prefer it as a nickname, anyway. [name]Elsie[/name] is a little cow-ish, though. I’ve never heard of [name]Elsa[/name] the lion…

Thanks Irisrose. I have a really long last name, so I am interested in shorter first names.

I think it was (once upon a time) [name]Elsie[/name] the Cow. But I think that association is fading. I can’t remember where it even came from. Several posters have said they have a daughter [name]Elsa[/name] or [name]Elsie[/name]. I think this is coming back into fashion. If [name]Oscar[/name] can live down “The Grouch” reputation, certainly [name]Elsie[/name] can live down the much more faint and faded “The Cow.” I think both [name]Elsie[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name] are usable once more.

I’ve never heard of [name]Elsa[/name] the lion or [name]Elsie[/name] the cow, so I don’t associate the name with animals. I agree that if [name]Oscar[/name] can overcome “The Grouch” reference, then [name]Elsa[/name] can overcome these associations. It’s a pretty name, [name]IMO[/name].

I’ve never heard of [name]Elsa[/name] the lion or [name]Elsie[/name] the cow, so I don’t associate the name with animals. I agree that if [name]Oscar[/name] can overcome “The Grouch” reference, then [name]Elsa[/name] can overcome these associations. It’s a pretty name, [name]IMO[/name].

[name]Elsa[/name] is a [name]German[/name] form of [name]Elizabeth[/name] so I’m not thinking of cows or lions when I hear it. I like it - it’s simple but king of exotic at the same time. [name]Elsie[/name] is more of nickname to my ears and better left for an animal name.

Huh. I have no such association with that name.

What comes to mind immediately for me is an older [name]German[/name] lady. Never knew one, so I don’t know why I have that association!

I love the name [name]Elsa[/name]! It was almost my daughter’s name.
I think the associations are fading, but definitely still there for some people. I wasn’t even aware of the lion reference until I started tossing the name around for opinions, and people would respond “Oh, like ‘[name]Born[/name] [name]Free[/name]’?” I wasn’t even aware there was a lioness named [name]Elsa[/name] in a movie. My parents hated the name because they are older and could only think of a cow, but I think they would have gotten over it. I still love the name.

Yeah, I have a feeling my parents won’t react well to it, but I really like the name. It is similar to [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Lilah[/name] (both of which I love but would not use because of their popularity).

Now I’m looking up [name]Elsie[/name] the Cow commercials on youtube and getting a little paranoid. I really don’t want a future teenager to hate me for naming her after a cow!

It was/is [name]Elsie[/name] the Cow. URL for anyone interested.

But I think these are good, sound names. No one thinks much of The Cow now, and what remains is a simple, classic name with just enough foreign twist.

wow, I never knew there was a cow and/or a lion named [name]Elsie[/name]/[name]Elsa[/name]!! Geeeze!
[name]Elsa[/name] is a beautiful name and is on my long list, but [name]Elsie[/name] seems a bit nickname-y (although it is a full name).