Is Elsa too Frozen?

hey everyone!! So i’m currently loving the name [name_f]Ilse[/name_f], i find it so endearing and sweet. However, the pronunciation is quite tricky and it’s making me reconsider a little. I’ve always loved [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] but Frozen sort of ruined it for me.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you immediately think of the Disney princess when you hear [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think this association will ever wear off?

(this isn’t for a real child btw i’m just collecting)

thanks in advance!!

(The combo would be Elsa Primrose)

1 Like

No, I don’t think it is! There are plenty of Jasmines, Auroras, Ariels, etc. It’s a gorgeous name.

6 Likes

that’s very true!! I didn’t think of it in that way! thank you :heart:

I love [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]. I don’t think of the Disney princess whenever I hear the name, but I may be one of the few.

If you find it too close to the Disney princess for your liking, you may look at [name_f]Else[/name_f], a variation of both [name_f]Ilsa[/name_f] and [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]. [name_f]Ilse[/name_f] is a variation of [name_f]Ilsa[/name_f] as well.

3 Likes

I don’t think of the Disney character, I think of someone I know called [name_f]Elsa[/name_f].
I also think of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], I mean it’s just a form of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] so yeah.

1 Like

Maybe a little, I do think of Frozen whenever I hear [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]… but it’s such a gorgeous name, and theres nothing wrong with having a name that has a strong Disney association, and [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is a great character!
Maybe in later generations the association wont be quite as ‘strong’, if you get what I mean? Frozen was such a huge media phenomenon among children when it came out, which is partly why I think [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is so heavily associated with Frozen at the moment. But its not quite so big or as popular as it was six years ago, so I think it will soon become more like [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f], [name_f]Belle[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], which are still ‘Disney princess’ names, but it isnt an overwhelming association.
I hope that makes sense? [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is darling by the way, its so pretty!

3 Likes

Yes, Frozen hasn’t definitely ruined this name for me, unfortunately.

1 Like

I am absolutely in love with the name [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]. It is a real name, and it does slightly remind me of the movie but I do not think that is a bad thing; she wasn’t a negative character by any means, and many disney princess have beautiful names that are still used regularly, just as other users have stated. Also, don’t let disney take away a name from you… the name has existed far before disney, it is my favorite version/diminutive of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

1 Like

i really love [name_f]Else[/name_f], thank you so much for that suggestion!! :heart::blush:

1 Like

@anon47024950 that’s very true, thank you❤️

@anon68906791 Aww [name_f]Ilsa[/name_f] is very very sweet! I love that :))

@gracegillian that’s true, it’s not necessarily a bad association. In fact out of all the Disney princesses, [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is probably one of the most badass, girl power characters!! I’m hoping the association wears off by the time i have kids :joy: And thank you for your kind words about [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]! I love it too!

@_thelittlefairywren thank you!! that’s useful to hear :blush:

@Lookingforaname20 you’re definitely right!! Disney can’t completely overshadow a name that has as much history as [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] does. It’s gorgeous isn’t it!!

3 Likes

No, I love it. And I prefer it so much over sickly sweet [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], it’s far more mature. Most little girls will absolute LOVE having the same name as a Disney princess anyway so it’s really not a problem, it’s such a beautiful scandi name, if you love it, go for it!!

1 Like

I don’t automatically think Frozen as @eileithyia said there are plenty of children with Disney princess names so it’s definitely doable. Also I don’t think the frozen association is a bad one! I think that princess was feisty and had good attributes. She was a kickass princess she had attributes I’d want my daughter to have. [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is lovely!

2 Likes

Yes! [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is timeless imo :blush: absolutely gorgeous and stunning :blue_heart:

1 Like

Elsa is a lovely name and while i do think of the film, it doesnt ruin the name for me

1 Like

I have a 5-year-old daughter so, clearly, I do think of Frozen first. But [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is such a strong, pretty, interesting name and I definitely think it’s wearable despite the film. I imagine most girls would love to share a name with the character. I love the suggestion of [name_f]Ilsa[/name_f] too, although it might be misread as [name_f]Isla[/name_f], since that’s such a popular name at the moment.

One name I heard recently and thought was really lovely is [name_f]Eska[/name_f]. That could be a good compromise, sharing [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]’s sound and fieriness but losing the Frozen connection. [name_f]Eska[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] would be gorgeous! :heart:

2 Likes

I immediately think of the Disney princess but I still think [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is a beautiful name

1 Like

I think it’s fine. I think [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is a beautiful name and the Disney association doesn’t really bother me since I enjoyed the film and [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is a positive character. Plus, the name has been around for hundreds of years and there are many non-Disney namesakes.

1 Like

Elsa [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] sounds very pretty and I think after the movies came out that’s what most people’s association is. It is one of the things I associate with [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] but I don’t think it’s too overly connected.:blush:

1 Like

I think there are definitely way to avoid [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] bring too frozen. I think [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] is a wonderful way to use [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] as a nickname but still have a formal name she can refer to if she chooses.

As your just collecting names I think it’s a non issue.

Also who wouldn’t want to have the same name as a Disney [name_f]Princess[/name_f] !

1 Like

Hi there.

I do think of Frozen, but that’s because my job for the past five years is being a nanny for a little girl who lives & breathes Disney Princesses. Plus, I like [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]. She’s a nice character. :grin:

1 Like