Is Emma too popular?

I love the name [name]Emma[/name] and so does my husband but I’m worried our daughter would be one of 5 [name]Emma[/name]'s in her class. Is the name still really popular? Any other ideas for alternatives that are similar?

You are certainly right that [name]Emma[/name] is very popular. Someone in my family just had a baby and named her [name]Emma[/name]. If you really love [name]Emma[/name] I think you should use it but I do see that you dont want her to one in 5 at school. here are some variations of [name]Emma[/name]:
[name]Emmaline[/name]
Emmith
Emmagard
[name]Emily[/name] - also very popular but going down a little
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Jemma[/name]
I think that a very close name to [name]Emma[/name] is [name]Jemma[/name] and it is way not as popular as [name]Emma[/name] is. [name]Emmaline[/name] and a different variation Emmith, [name]Emery[/name] are very lovely and unique.

I like [name]Emmeline[/name]/[name]Emmaline[/name] as an alternative. She can still have the nn [name]Emma[/name]. :slight_smile:

I’m in the same boat where I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Ella[/name] but its definitley up there on popularity. Right now hubby and I agree on [name]Briella[/name] where she can have the nn [name]Bri[/name] or [name]Ella[/name]

Yeah, [name]Emma[/name]'s too popular for me, at #3 USA-wise. That’s something like 363 [name]Emma[/name]'s per state. Which really isn’t that bad if you live in [name]California[/name], [name]Texas[/name] or even Kansas. But if you live in Rhode Island, Connecticut, New [name]Jersey[/name] or even Deleware, you run the risk of 4 or 5 [name]Emma[/name]'s in a class.

I’m rather fond of [name]Gemma[/name] as an option, it’s sweet. [name]Emmeline[/name] is one I see reaching epic proportions as [name]Emma[/name] did but it’s pretty. [name]Emanuelle[/name] is one I think [name]Emma[/name] could be gotten from as well and it’s got the added bonus of [name]Elle[/name], should she want something different when she’s 13!

[name]Just[/name] thinking.

Yes, I think it’s too popular unfortunately (such a lovely name!). I think [name]Eliza[/name] is a fantastic alternative.

Ok so I know that number wise [name]Emma[/name] is popular. That said, I have only met one - she was in her eighties! (And I work in healthcare and meet a lot of people of all ages). So what I think is - where do you live? [name]Do[/name] you hear the name [name]Emma[/name] a lot in the grocery store or in the baby announcements? And if you still hear the name over and over (which you may not) and still love it - go for it anyway. It is a super pretty name - there is a reason it is popular - and you guys both agree on it! That’s just my humble opinion, of course, and the others have listed some great alternatives, in case the popularity ruins it for you. Let us know what you decide!

I love [name]Eliza[/name]!
[name]Evelyn[/name] is a lovely alternative, too. I just love [name]Evelyn[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name] (Ehv-ie)! I would choose that name if I wanted something similar but not as popular as [name]Emma[/name].
Also:
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Eleni[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
and many others!

I agree with smitty. If [name]Emma[/name] is a name that you really love, I wouldn’t not use based on popularity. I personally love the name [name]Ava[/name], and still consider it for my daughter’s name (if I have a girl). I know a lot of people frown upon using such popular names- but as smitty said, I do not know a single [name]Ava[/name]. I live in a fairly rural area, and teach in the public school. I have never met a student named [name]Ava[/name], or [name]Emma[/name]! Those names are popular for a reason- they are beautiful! Good luck to you! I know how tough it can be find the perfect name!!

I love it but im afraid it #2 on the popularity list! I think its adorable.

For this generation, yes. But I’m glad my parents were ahead of the trend! I’ve always loved my name. I’m 21, by the way, and barely ever meet anyone else named [name]Emma[/name] who is in my age group.

YES, too bad!! If you REALLY love it go for it. All the great classic girls names are hugely popular right now. But a classic is just that, trend names will fade. But [name]Emma[/name] will always be beautiful. Pick a unique middle name to go with it. Good [name]Luck[/name] with whatever you decide!!

you could use a dubble 1st name
emmakate
emmabeth
emmalynn
emmajane
emmajade
emmastar
emmarenee
emmaleah

Yes … [name]Emma[/name]'s too popular. But there are some very pretty options for you as suggested above!

I’m afraid I do think it is … in fact, I personally think it is so popular that I would avoid using anything related to it … but that’s just my opinion. Have you considered [name]Esme[/name]?

I’m not sure how I feel about this anymore. I have found at least 4 Emmas in my family tree on both sides and only now it’s starting to appeal to me. Anyway, I agree with you, Twinkle.

The question is, is it too popular, but another question is, how much should you mind - is it not a good name? It’s not a very distinctive name to choose, but if it’s a good name, it is a good name. If I were trying to avoid its popularity, I’d avoid the sound of it and all its variations altogether. If the whole point is to be different, using [name]Emma[/name] for a nickname for [name]Emmeline[/name] (or even just insisting it’s [name]Emmeline[/name] in full) really defeats the point, and you might as well have used [name]Emma[/name] if you prefer it. [name]Emmeline[/name] won’t be distinct in school just for having a different name than [name]Emma[/name], or for having a name that’s not been in the top 1000 for the past 129 years, nor [name]Emeline[/name] which hasn’t ranked since 1918.

The same kind of rings for double names as well. [name]Mary[/name] was so popular, and at one time, it became quite the rage to double up the names: [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ann[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Louise[/name]. Although [name]Emma[/name] [name]Kate[/name] seem distinct from the other Emmas, first of all, she will be still one of those Emmas. Secondly, the practice tends to tack on names you might not really love. [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ann[/name] sounds ok, but how much did [name]Ann[/name] count in your love for the name or decision to use [name]Mary[/name] (hypothetically)? If there is another [name]Emma[/name] in her class, [name]Emma[/name] [name]Kate[/name] might as well be [name]Emma[/name] K. and [name]Emma[/name] G. and [name]Emma[/name] W. Unless you’re in love with [name]Emma[/name] [name]Kate[/name], and it’s your favorite, it rings like a surname initial, which is what most people are anxious to avoid.

For practical purposes, they all ARE the same name. Unfortunately. Fortunately, the variants and combos can be good names. Choose which one you like best, don’t let popularity make your choice for you here. :slight_smile: Or let popularity make your choice and find something completely different.

Yes, [name]Emma[/name] is extremely popular. I think the good alternatives are [name]Emmaline[/name]/[name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Emery[/name] and [name]Jemma[/name]. Otherwise, they’re getting a little weird! Emmabeth is just not my thing.