Is Friedrich just too much?

Hey all!

[name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] is a name that reaches back far into my ancestry. On the Nameberry page it says that [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] has an “uptight Prussian image” which is funny since my heritage involving that name comes from Prussia/Pomerania. I love the way it sounds (sort of like: “FREEDrick” and I personally think it’s handsome and not that overbearing at all.
However, the spelling is what bothers me. Would people say “[name_m]Fried[/name_m] [name_m]Rich[/name_m]” when pronouncing the name? Does it look unappealing? Is it close to usable in this era? And do you think it does have an uptight image? I’m open to any opinions.

Bonus: if you like [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m], what do you think would sound good with it?

I have a few Friedrichs in my ancestry as well! :slight_smile: It definitely is an interesting name. I’ve never met anyone by this name. I disagree with it sounding uptight or anything like that…if anything, I think it sounds like one of the ‘old man’ names being used currently, mainly because it is so similar to [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], which many people are familiar enough with. That brings up another point, I think there could be some pronunciation issues and he would probably get called [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] a lot. As far as the spelling, I think that just sticking with the original is good enough…people will adjust, even though I agree that it doesn’t look really appealing. It’s usuable! I’d definitely keep it on your radar!

I can’t really think of any middles right now, but I do have a [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] [name_m]Wilhelm[/name_m] in my tree and I think that sounds great :slight_smile:

I think [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] is a bit much, and “uptight Prussian” is exactly how I’d describe its image, but I don’t think it’s entirely unusable. [name_u]Ricky[/name_u], [name_m]Richie[/name_m], [name_u]Free[/name_u], and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] are all conceivable nicknames that make it seem a little more relatable and friendly. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of mispronunciations, so if that really bothers you, you should probably keep looking. If not, though, I think it could work with a nickname.

It would be unusable on someone of my background, but I think it works if you have [name_m]German[/name_m] heritage. I quite like the nickname [name_m]Fritz[/name_m]. It does seem inevitable to me that some people would mispronounce it in an English-speaking country though.

Regarding the name’s image, it doesn’t seem uptight to me, just very distinctly [name_m]German[/name_m].

I don’t think it’s unusable, but I do think that it still feels quite “foreign” to English speakers in a way that other Germanic names like [name_m]Otto[/name_m] or [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] don’t, just because it’s very rarely used in English I guess. I also think that you would encounter some problems with pronunciation so I suppose you have to weigh up how much that would bother you.

Personally, I’d choose [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] over [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] for ease and accessibility. It’s a lovely solid name (I see you like it too!) and no one is going to have to second-guess the spelling or pronunciation. I love your combo of [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]Elias[/name_u].

I immediately think of Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] whenever I hear [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] and I just hear, “It got caught…in [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m]'s teeth!” so unfortunately, I get an image of a mildly bratty, rich young boy. haha

That being said, I don’t think it is a bad name. It does seem likely to be mispronounced, particularly by younger people. Older generations might be more familiar with it as it is an older name. I just wrote it down and asked my (young American) coworker how she would pronounce it and she pronounced it just as you feared someone would: [name_m]Fried[/name_m]-rich instead of Freed-rick. I have [name_m]German[/name_m] heritage and do like [name_m]German[/name_m] names, but they can be tough to use outside of Europe. If it were me, I’d use it as a middle name. =]

Without knowing how cosmopolitan an area you’re in… I think [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] is usable. I look at it and pronounce it [frEE-drihk]. Be preparaed for people to unfamiliar with the name to say [frehd-rik] ([name_m]Frederick[/name_m]). You’d probably only have to nicely correct them once with something like “It’s Friedrick; it’s a name in my family - it’s the [name_m]German[/name_m]/Prussian version of [name_m]Frederick[/name_m].”

For middle names, without knowing your last name, I’d suggest middle names to the tune of below:
[name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m]
Friedrick edward
Friedrick [name_u]James[/name_u]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps and good luck!

Thank you everyone for your comments! I think I like it better in the middle name place - it’s not a wild favorite must-have of mine, but it has always intrigued me. I’ll play around with it some more and see what I come up with :slight_smile:

The problem I have with [name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] is that everyone mispronounces it. From your description you do too. I’m not really a fan of taking a name from a different culture and not caring about the right pronunciation. What makes it even more problematic is that Americans usually cannot say the [name_m]German[/name_m] “ch” sound.

I found some examples of the right pronunciation here:

As someone from Germany, I can say it’s definitely an “old man” name here, pronounced “Freed-riech” (that’s probably as close as I can get to the [name_m]German[/name_m] pronounciation, you don’t have the “ch” sound in English). I think it might work, but I feel like there would be several ways people would pronounce it. I feel like there will be some people who’ll hear it, and with the English pronounciation, shorten it to [name_m]Rick[/name_m].
I would definitely pair it with an “easier” middle name.

I understand exactly how to pronounce it with a [name_m]German[/name_m] interpretation. But in [name_u]America[/name_u] it is possible to pronounce something correctly while not retaining specific sounds native to a different language. For example, my last name P3reira is pronounced “[name_m]Per[/name_m]-rair-ra” correctly in English. But it is a Portuguese last name and non-native speakers cannot pronounce the Rs the way portuguese speakers do. Both pronunciations are correct in their own respective languages.
You can’t expect everyone to make the gutteral “ch” sound in [name_u]America[/name_u]. When I say “correct pronunciation” I mean the general sound “Freed-rick” over something entirely false like “[name_m]Fried[/name_m]-rich”.

It’s a bit much to say I don’t “care” about the pronunciation. I do care, which is why I made this post. And it is part of my culture. I have a huge amount of [name_m]German[/name_m] ancestry leading right up to my grandmother.